Football

36 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I was meaning only that it has re-invigorated the international game in terms of replacing some of the meaningless friendlies. The World Cup and European Championships have always been massive for football fans in the UK. However, even with those - as an England fan - the tournament qualification process wasn't much of an attraction. Generally speaking, England qualified fairly easily (with some notable exceptions!) and there weren't many games that commanded huge levels of interest.

I agree with you.

The Scotland v Israel game was a fantastic match.

Both sides knew it was their best chance for years of securing a play off spot. It was so competitive and close.

I've watched a lot of the games and really enjoyed them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I was meaning only that it has re-invigorated the international game in terms of replacing some of the meaningless friendlies. The World Cup and European Championships have always been massive for football fans in the UK. However, even with those - as an England fan - the tournament qualification process wasn't much of an attraction. Generally speaking, England qualified fairly easily (with some notable exceptions!) and there weren't many games that commanded huge levels of interest.

Again...in England, for Englishmen. 

Little Englanders confer their experiences to mean that the rest of the world felt that way about international games as well (I'm not referring to tournaments here, but qualification/friendlies). 

The Nations League reinvigorated interest in international football outside tournaments in England. It's highly likely that the French and Germans enjoy the the Nations League more than friendlies, but interest in international football of any kind in those countries wasn't lagging prior to the NL. They never had trouble at the gates nor with media/fan interest. To imply it has reinvigorated intl football outside of England is to ignore the reality prior to the introduction of the NL. A reality in which, for most countries around the globe, the national team is the most important footballing institution. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up

2 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Little Englanders confer their experiences to mean that the rest of the world felt that way about international games as well (I'm not referring to tournaments here, but qualification/friendlies). 

The Nations League reinvigorated interest in international football outside tournaments in England. It's highly likely that the French and Germans enjoy the the Nations League more than friendlies, but interest in international football of any kind in those countries wasn't lagging prior to the NL. They never had trouble at the gates nor with media/fan interest. To imply it has reinvigorated intl football outside of England is to ignore the reality prior to the introduction of the NL. A reality in which, for most countries around the globe, the national team is the most important footballing institution. 

When it comes to International football friendlies, the "Little Englanders" normally turn up in larger numbers than most other European nations. Since 2010 (I couldn't be bothered to look any further back) only two England friendlies (at Wembley) have had attendances below 50000. The majority of the meaningless friendly have attendances of between 70000 and 85000.

Looking at the other European nations, England supports International football more than other big footballing nations, especially when the game is against one of the less glamorous sides. 

You're, obviously, trying to live up to your moniker 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 3
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

9 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I'm not really sure what your issue is with England, Englishmen, Little Englanders, etc. You seem to want to repeatedly bring that into the discussion when it doesn't have any relevance. I think that maybe says a lot about you and your prejudices.

Equally as irrelevant is your use of the phrases "rest of the world" and "around the globe". The Nations League is a competition for European teams only, and therefore what people in South America, Africa, Asia and everywhere else outside of Europe think about international football, is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Now, I can only speak as a casual observer - I haven't studied every aspect of the situation in a scientific way - but my impression is that a lot of fans in a lot of European countries, were not particularly enthralled by international football friendly matches. That doesn't mean to say that there wasn't any interest - but it wasn't particularly strong. I would say it was probably not much different to the attitude towards friendlies felt by fans in the UK and Ireland. If anything, attendances for England friendly matches were higher than what most other European countries were getting - with the possible exception of Germany.

What the Nations League has done is give some meaning to the matches - through promotion and relegation, as well as the chance to be in the semi-finals and eventually win the competition. The big teams are also playing one another more often - this time we had Germany, France, and Netherlands playing each other, and likewise Spain, England, and Croatia. I think fans in those countries would have preferred that to playing meaningless friendlies, and I'd also imagine that neutral fans quite enjoyed seeing those matches too.

You seem to be objecting to my use of the word "re-invigorated". Is there an alternative word that you think is more appropriate? If it makes you happy, I have no problem with just going with the line that the Nations League has "improved" international football in Europe. Would that be better for you?

• Like 2

Another ground, another league even, ticked off yesterday.

As a way of catching up with a friend that I don't normally see, decided to take in the delights of the Combined Counties League Division 1. Godalming Town 1-3 Chessington & Hook United in the end. Not a bad a game at all. Probably around 50 people there. Nice bit of niggle and comedy swearing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

Quite. Or Harry Bleedin' Redknapp. I'll take my chances....

Redknapp's in the jungle so there's a safe (car) window of opportunity where he'll be unavailable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We had Sam at Everton last season . It’s archetypal I’ll keep you up but .... believe me it was tortuous to watch

Yes, his brand of soccer is awful. But let's not pretend it's tikitaka with Hughes. Saints are desperately short on confidence.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Redknapp's in the jungle so there's a safe (car) window of opportunity where he'll be unavailable.

Just googled it after assuming this was some reference to Castleford.

That's truly hilarious. How much credibility would a club lose, taking a bloke out of a reality TV show to become the manager?? It's nailed on for Saints now.....

• Like 1

Think I might just listen to Bluddy Targers v Norwich City tonight.

I have a feeling it may be rather enjoyable.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

FA Cup 3rd Round,

all Games to be played W/E 4-7 January

Bolton v Walsall/Sunderland

Millwall v Hull City

Gillingham v Cardiff City

Brentford V Oxford Utd

Sheffield Weds v Luton Town

Man Utd v Reading

Everton v Lincoln City

Tranmere/Southport v Tottenham Hots

Preston NE v Doncaster Rov

Newcastle Utd v Blackburn Rvs

Chelsea v Notts Forest

Crystal Palace v Grimsby Town

Derby Co v Southampton

Accrington Stanley v Ipswich Town

Bristol City v Huddersfield T

Wrexham/Newport Co v Leicester C

Fulham v Oldham Ath

Shrewsbury T v Stoke City

Solihull Moors/Blackpool v Arsenal

Man City v Rotherham Utd

AFC Bournmouth v Brighton & HA

West Ham Utd v Pykies

Woking v Watford

Burnley v Barnsley

QPR v Leeds Utd

Sheffield Utd v Barnet

Norwich City v Portsmouth

Guisley/Fleetwood v AFC Wimbledon

West Brom v Wigan Ath

Middlesborough  v Peterborough/Bradford

Wolves v Liverpool

Aston Villa v Swansea City

Edited by Bleep1673

On 11/28/2018 at 6:56 AM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

O****d won so I agree with you. 

However Swindon Town won so one of the results was absolutely fantastic! ?

There are 2 interesting articles about Swindon Town in this month's When Saturday Comes. 

I have just finished reading the first, about the Premier League season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niels said:

There are 2 interesting articles about Swindon Town in this month's When Saturday Comes. 

I have just finished reading the first, about the Premier League season.

the premier league looked very different in 93/94 season 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Sunderland at home today. Attendance of 5257 which is a new record at the Wham.

Game abandoned on 72 minutes due to waterlogged pitch with the score at 1-1.

It really did leather it down and I don't think the ref had any option but to call it.

Got to give the Suderland fans on the uncovered away terrace for sticking it out through the downpour.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

3 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Sunderland at home today. Attendance of 5257 which is a new record at the Wham.

Game abandoned on 72 minutes due to waterlogged pitch with the score at 1-1.

It really did leather it down and I don't think the ref had any option but to call it.

Got to give the Suderland fans on the uncovered away terrace for sticking it out through the downpour.

Was it a good game? Accrington are doing well again. Is it mostly the side that won League two?

Are you a season ticket holder?