Football

Currently chain watching Sunderland till I die on Netflix, well worth a watch, fascinating, if not slightly morbid viewing given we all know the fate of the club and those involved as the season unfolds.

Really well shot and put together.

The need for VAR has never been more apparant than it is now . I have never seen so many soft pens given and so many obvious ones not .But then what caps it all is former players as pundits saying , oh yes there was contact he was "entitled" to go down .Entitled my a**e , touching someone gently on the shoulder is not a foul .

16 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

The need for VAR has never been more apparant than it is now . I have never seen so many soft pens given and so many obvious ones not .But then what caps it all is former players as pundits saying , oh yes there was contact he was "entitled" to go down .Entitled my a**e , touching someone gently on the shoulder is not a foul .

You won't get a penalty unless you fall over.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

52 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

VAR won’t solve it as it will only over turn clear and obvious errors. Any of the pens given were the commentators are umming and ahhing won’t be over turned. 

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cheating in professional sport is as old as the hills.

Once money is involved it doesn’t take much.

Indeed and football has the most money and has the most cheating . From minute one I’m watching guys kick it out and put their hand up for a throw in , to waving their finger at the ref when they’ve fouled someone , to diving around all over the place to get a decision or an opponent into trouble ...etc etc . Just seems accepted as part of the game sadly , most sadly by players 

Half Man half Biscuit, as always, get to the nub of things...

THE REFEREE’S ALPHABET

• The A is for my authority, which many players seem to question, thinking they’re somehow going to make me change my mind.
  • B is for babies which a lot of managers cry like after a decision has not gone their way.
  • C is for the continual criticism I receive from the touchline. Get back in your technical area!
  • D is for the dunderheads who seem to think we have a conspiracy against their particular team.
  • E is for the eerie silence that echoes around the ground after I've booked the home teams player and its obvious to everyone that he deserved it.
  • F is the farce into which most games would descend if we weren’t there.
  • The G is for the gnarled face of someone who’s on £90,000 a week and reckons he should have had a throw in.
  • H is for handball, which has to be intentional and very rarely is. If only people would study the rules more.
  • I is for innocence, pleaded by many a doe-eyed defender after they’ve just scythed down that tricky winger.
  • J is for ju-jitsu, which I quite intend to display given a dark alley and some of the narky blerts I've encountered.
  • K is for the kissing of the badge. How ridiculous that looks 6 months later when they’re at another club.
  • L is for lip reading, at which you don’t need to be an expert to see how odious some people are.
  • M is for the mistakes we sometimes make. Surely a bit of controversy is part of the game's appeal?
  • The N, the N is for the numbskull who, during the boxing day game, asks me what else I got for Christmas besides my whistle. An afternoon with your wife, mate.
  • The O is for offside, which many forwards tell me they simply could not have been.
  • The P is for the penalty shootout. Great drama and no pressure on me!
  • Q is the quiet word I sometimes need to have with some of the more fiery participants... I usually choose the word 'Pleat'.
  • R is for running backwards. A difficult skill which the pundits never seem to appreciate.
  • S is for the suggestion that I should have awarded a card of some sort to a player who’s just been awarded a free kick... sorry I got all that wrong. The S again - okay the S, the S is the suggestion that I should show a card to an opponent by a player who’s been awarded a free kick. He himself is more in danger of getting one for that.
  • T is for the 21 man brawl, which is basically an embarrassing scene of pushing and shoving.
  • U is for the umpire which I sometimes wish I’d been instead. You never hear a cricket crowd shouting ‘who’s the #### in the hat’.
  • The V is for vitriol, vilification, vendetta and volley of verbal abuse (some good bird noises there by the way).
  • W is for Walter Pidgeon, whose Mr Griffiths in How Green Was My Valley I may have started to sound like during this song. 'Where was the light I thought to see in your eye?'. He says that to a young Huw played by Roddy McDowall.
  • The X. The X represents the sarcastic kiss planted on my forehead by the swarthy Portuguese centre-half who I’ve just dismissed.
  • The Y is for Yate; the kind of town referees come from.
  • And the Z. Well, the Z could be for Zidane, Zico, Zola, Zubizaretta, Zoff... even Zondervan, but is in fact for the zest with which we approach our work. Without this zest for the game we wouldn’t become refs. And without refs, well... zero. See also Zatopek, Zeus and Zeal Monachorum. I have a caravan there. Static, naturally.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’ll be fine because... 

“We’ve got Salah... dar dar de da da, oh Mane, Mane... dar dar de da da... and Bobby Firmino...” 

???

We'll win the league I just like to add quality as you can't have enough of that

I'm not very happy about this "new and improved" version of the Bluddy Targers that's appeared of late.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=2

I much preferred the "old and inferior" team. :(

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

9 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Won 1- 0 Happy Days.

"One-nil, Ipswich, Happy Days ..." does scan ...

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One thing about weekends like this is you see these lower league and non league clubs with packed out grounds . Scores and scores of folk in club colours who become life long fans for the day . Same in  rugby league . ‘ Going next week against South Wales ... nah ‘

Meat Pie, Vegan Roll, Come on Oldham, Give us a goal!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

You wonder why clubs like Man C and Chelski have academies . They hoover up young talent work them through then just lock them out from the final step so often . Window after window it’s just millions on players from all over the place . Who’s to say they’re any better . Lots of kids won’t make the grade but there’s been some real talent who just don’t get a gig ... go on to be successful and even play for England ! Strange executive thinking at these clubs . Foreign ready made is ace , only sometimes they’re not ... chelski sign pulisic , pushed out at Dortmund ... by sancho . Doesn’t do England any good either but of course these clubs are foreign run anyway . I wonder if , when the quota system for home players will come in 

Edited by DavidM