Football

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

The thing is, young kids want to play for Man C/Chelsea/Man u/Barcelona/Real, Juventus/Inter/AC/Bayern & not Burnley or Leeds, or Villa

Someone from Bacup and half of Rawtenstall would choose Burnley over any other club.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

15 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

The thing is, young kids want to play for Man C/Chelsea/Man u/Barcelona/Real, Juventus/Inter/AC/Bayern & not Burnley or Leeds, or Villa

Sure . 100 % it’s a dream but so many of those who reach the grade barely get the chance . A lot of investment then they go out and buy someone and close the door on them again . 

17 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think it is practical.  Once, if you were in the Norwich academy, it meant you were a very good footballer and probably from Norfolk.  Now it means that you are a very good, but not top rate young prospect and you could be from anywhere.

Not only will Man City promise the best training regardless of where you are from, but also immediate wealth.  Furthermore, it is the eqivalent of Oxford or Harvard, even if the teaching is not much better, it looks good on your footballing CV.

Edited by Bob8
Corrected typo, not to Bleep

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Norwaich

Norwich, sorry for being pedantic, I have a lot of connections up there. Beautiful City. One of my first agency jobs was there, just before Christmas 1987, if they had extended my contract, I could've moved there, and life would be so much different. It seemed to be parties every other day, and because the Hospital (in 1987) was almost in the City centre, everything was on the doorstep.

Thank You, Norwich, for November & December 1987

Instead, I moved to Chertsey (3m), then Northwood(18m), then Uxbridge & I was trapped for 20 years.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bob8 said:

I think it is practical.  Once, if you were in the Norwich academy, it meant you were a very good footballer and probably from Norfolk.  Now it means that you are a very good, but not top rate young prospect and you could be from anywhere.

Not only will Man City promise the best training regardless of where you are from, but also immediate wealth.  Furthermore, it is the eqivalent of Oxford or Harvard, even if the teaching is not much better, it looks good on your footballing CV.

I am just reading back copies of When Saturday Comes.

May 2017 has a feature on Kobenhaven clubs which I will read now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nantes have demanded the first installment of the transfer fee for the unfortunate Emiliano Sala.

I know it's business, but that's pretty cold blooded.

I assume Cardiff are insured.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Just now, tim2 said:

Nantes have demanded the first installment of the transfer fee for the unfortunate Emiliano Sala.

I know it's business, but that's pretty cold blooded.

I assume Cardiff are insured.

Are Cardiff still owned by the kind of businessman who would renege on a deal in the hope that the embarrassment of publicly asking for a dead man's transfer fee would mean he could trouser the cash?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

In todays football, I'm surprised any team can have this stat. 

_20190209_225045.JPG

That's a really interesting one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My Real surname isn't a very common one, so you can imagine my surprise when watching Milford v Lock Lane yesterday, when I heard the commentators call it out for one of the LL players, I mentioned to my daughter that there was also an MK Dons player with our name, and he scored yesterday as well, 2 winners!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, gingerjon said:

Are Cardiff still owned by the kind of businessman who would renege on a deal in the hope that the embarrassment of publicly asking for a dead man's transfer fee would mean he could trouser the cash?

What do you know about Vincent Tan? I bet he's worked loads of unsociable hours. He hasn't been given any cash. 

5 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

My Real surname isn't a very common one, so you can imagine my surprise when watching Milford v Lock Lane yesterday, when I heard the commentators call it out for one of the LL players, I mentioned to my daughter that there was also an MK Dons player with our name, and he scored yesterday as well, 2 winners!

40428238020_e4b607d472_k.jpg2018-05-20_06-17-04 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

Aaron Ramsey signs for Juventus for =£400k/wk, under a Bosman Rule Signing, even though his contract isn't expired yet. Is this another example of the bad signs of Brexit? What will happen after March 27th, British players will be exempt from Bosman rulings because they are no longer part of the EU, therefore more of them will stay in the UK, and sign new contracts, will we see an exodus of UK registered players to EU Clubs before the end of March?

The real baffling thing in the Aaron Ramsey affair is he doesn`t seem to fit in at a poor Arsenal team , but Juventus are willing to pay him £400,000 a week .Much the same as Arsenal had a choice once whether to keep Sanchez who worked his socks off every week and scored goals or Ozil who...........does...................another good decision .

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Aaron Ramsey signs for Juventus for =£400k/wk, under a Bosman Rule Signing, even though his contract isn't expired yet. Is this another example of the bad signs of Brexit? What will happen after March 27th, British players will be exempt from Bosman rulings because they are no longer part of the EU, therefore more of them will stay in the UK, and sign new contracts, will we see an exodus of UK registered players to EU Clubs before the end of March?

More to think about..How will Brexit affect the Kolpack ruling which allows players from the Pacific Islands under ACP / Association Agreements with the EU to play in the UK.

Will all the PI guys in Super League be under threat ???

Cricket and union also have a lot of ACP players playing in the UK .