Football

On 3/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, Niels said:

If none automatially qualify, then the play off group will be Scotland,Serbia,Norway,Finland.

You are top seeds so would have a home semi final against Finland or Norway which is winnable. 

Then a potential 2 leg final against Serbia.

You have a fair chance do you think?

We tend to blow qualification very early and then come good later on, so we could be on good form by that time.

But, no, I wouldn't be confident.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Some unnecessary cards towards the end, though. Otherwise, a more than decent performance.

Attack wise this is close to the best England team I’ve seen. I do think we look very dodgy at the back though and will be picked off by better teams. 

Just now, Methven Hornet said:

A very strong team, but Scotland should have improved (hah! Where have I heard that before?). So, Nice on 9th June for the rematch.

Scotland have got better. England are, as you can tell from their results, also improving, certainly against the strong teams they used to fall short against.

Anything other than an England win would be a huge surprise but ... well ... sport's all about dreaming, eh?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Scotland have got better. England are, as you can tell from their results, also improving, certainly against the strong teams they used to fall short against.

Anything other than an England win would be a huge surprise but ... well ... sport's all about dreaming, eh?

And having your dreams completely crushed, time after time. But, yes, England do look extremely strong.

The good news is that the main player we're going to see, Lana Cleland, someone we've known almost since the day she was born, came back from quite a bad injury for Fiorentina against Juventus at the weekend.

• Like 1

England players (away from home) running over to the supporters of a well beaten team, to goad them  , cupping their ears and not expecting a retort then coming home to play the race card is frankly embarrassing 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

England players (away from home) running over to the supporters of a well beaten team, to goad them  , cupping their ears and not expecting a retort then coming home to play the race card is frankly embarrassing 

The racist abuse started in the 3rd minute. Your comment is frankly embarrassing! 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I wonder what qualifications you need to play U-21's football for the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino, Faroes & Andorra? Own a pair of your own football boots, and be of that nationality?

Oh, and be free on the day of the match, it doesn't matter whether you have played before.

Edited by Bleep1673

On 3/26/2019 at 10:08 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The racist abuse started in the 3rd minute. Your comment is frankly embarrassing! 

I read that Leroy Sane received similar abuse from his own fans last week. I really can't understand this.

Of course he has since been outstanding in the game against Holland so well done to him for responding so well. 

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I wonder what qualifications you need to play U-21's football for the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino, Faroes & Andorra? Own a pair of your own football boots, and be of that nationality?

Oh, and be free on the day of the match, it doesn't matter whether you have played before.

I don't know about Gibraltar, but for the other three their better players will be playing in the Italian, Scandinavian and French/Spanish footballing systems I would think.

The thing about u21s that surprises me is how many in a tournament are over 21. Half our squad last time in the euros were. Apparently it’s from when qualifying starts two years earlier 

I’ve seen some truly dreadful performances by PL outfits but the one from  WHam last evening must take the biscuit . They literally looked like they didn’t wanna be there 

Edited by DavidM

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve seen some truly dreadful performances by PL outfits but the one from  WHam last evening must take the biscuit . They literally looked like they didn’t wanna be there 

No chance of making Europe, Little chance of being in the relegation zone, nice evening weather, getting a good wage even if they lose...…. hmmm?

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

West Em are the most overrated club in the history of English fu'baw.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

So what is the best way to deal with racist abuse of pro footballers ?

We have Spurs and England player Danny Rose saying he feels like retiring , but he isn't , possibly because of the £ 100 K a week he is earning , so why say it ? , Isn't this what the racists actually want , to upset and influence the players they are abusing ? , So what is the solution ?

React ? Or ignore ? 

Right or wrong top pro footballers aren’t going to get that much sympathy with the literally unbelievable lifestyles they have . Also it’s bizarre hearing him saying he can’t wait to retire from football to escape racism , but it’s societal as Barnes said so really unless that’s tackled there is no escape . It’s interesting though because we often tend to feel we’ve got past this issue from the bad old days and it’s other countries problem 

Edited by DavidM

So how much per week does someone have to earn before it's okay not to be bothered by racist abuse towards them?

I mean clearly £100 per week means we should be on their side but it appears 100k a week in the world's most popular and rich sport and they are fair game.

So what's the cut off?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So how much per week does someone have to earn before it's okay not to be bothered by racist abuse towards them?

I mean clearly £100 per week means we should be on their side but it appears 100k a week in the world's most popular and rich sport and they are fair game.

So what's the cut off?

My point being if he can't wait to retire , then why wait ? , He could retire tomorrow , so will what he said draw sympathy , and if it isn't sympathy , what is it he wants ?

Why do these cretins spout this racism ? , What are they trying to achieve ? , A reaction , so by reacting they've succeeded , you've given them what they want 

What realistically do the players want the authorities to do ? , 

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What realistically do the players want the authorities to do ? , 

Ban the racists. Properly.

And, yes, he could retire. But his life until this point has been entirely football. Even people in relatively small sports like rugby league only get to be professionals because it has consumed their entire life from a very young age. We see what happens even to players who get to retire at a point of their own choosing. Now a footballer is likely to have been playing football from age 4-5, on the books of a club by age 10, pro at 16, nothing else at all but focusing on football football football.

So he may have the money but what else? And if he has to retire because he's got fed up of the remorseless abuse (goodness knows how Raheem Sterling copes, he's a better man than I'll ever be) then how's his state going to be?

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ban the racists. Properly.

And, yes, he could retire. But his life until this point has been entirely football. Even people in relatively small sports like rugby league only get to be professionals because it has consumed their entire life from a very young age. We see what happens even to players who get to retire at a point of their own choosing. Now a footballer is likely to have been playing football from age 4-5, on the books of a club by age 10, pro at 16, nothing else at all but focusing on football football football.

So he may have the money but what else? And if he has to retire because he's got fed up of the remorseless abuse (goodness knows how Raheem Sterling copes, he's a better man than I'll ever be) then how's his state going to be?

So within a crowd of what ? , 50,000 you seriously think you can identify , catch and prosecute every numpty that decides he's going to wind up the player on the opposition team ? , And that there won't be another one the week after ? , Who having seen it get a reaction ( which is why they did it in the 1st place ) will do it again ?