Football

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe there’s a “Quadruple Winners” banner for sale in Manchester. ?

I think both VAR decisions were right but the second one to disallow Sterling’s goal didn’t half suck the life out of the stadium. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I think both VAR decisions were right but the second one to disallow Sterling’s goal didn’t half suck the life out of the stadium. 

I’m really not convinced by the Spurs goal. But then I don’t like all these bizarre directives about what does or does not constitute handball.

Liverpool for a Europe/league double?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m really not convinced by the Spurs goal. But then I don’t like all these bizarre directives about what does or does not constitute handball.

Liverpool for a Europe/league double?

I thought we had a half a chance before last night. I am now convinced City won’t drop any league points as the CL isn’t now a distraction.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I thought we had a half a chance before last night. I am now convinced City won’t drop any league points as the CL isn’t now a distraction.

Yeah I think that’s right I wanted City to stay in the CL as long as possible. I also think Spurs will roll over now on Saturday so that only leaves United and possibly Burnley away to stop them and United aren’t exactly playing well. 

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I thought the angle from slightly behind the player showed it hit his arm clearly then onto his hip. This angle did not get presented to the ref. For me it was handball.

But it is what it is. 

The away goals thing is a bizarre rule though isnt it? I'm not sure why they award a winner of a drawn game.

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah I think that’s right I wanted City to stay in the CL as long as possible. I also think Spurs will roll over now on Saturday so that only leaves United and possibly Burnley away to stop them and United aren’t exactly playing well. 

Leicester at Home might be a banana skin for them too... big Brendan to exorcise the ghosts from 2014? 

Disagree about Spurs rolling over; fighting for the CL next year... can’t see them taking any points though - but hoping for a draw!

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I thought the angle from slightly behind the player showed it hit his arm clearly then onto his hip. This angle did not get presented to the ref. For me it was handball.

But it is what it is. 

The away goals thing is a bizarre rule though isnt it? I'm not sure why they award a winner of a drawn game.

I thought that but later they showed a super zoom shot that seemed to show it missed has arm.  Either way though I didn’t think it was a clear and obvious error. As for away goals I think it’s to prevent the team being at home in the second leg getting extra time to play at home which is obviously an advantage. I doesn’t cut it out but it reduces the number of times it happens. 

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I thought that but later they showed a super zoom shot that seemed to show it missed has arm.  Either way though I didn’t think it was a clear and obvious error. As for away goals I think it’s to prevent the team being at home in the second leg getting extra time to play at home which is obviously an advantage. I doesn’t cut it out but it reduces the number of times it happens. 

Yeah, I think that is just part of the luck of the draw. I always find it just adds a bizarre dynamic to the games. I think the winner should have put the ball in the net more than the opposition tbh.

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Leicester at Home might be a banana skin for them too... big Brendan to exorcise the ghosts from 2014? 

Disagree about Spurs rolling over; fighting for the CL next year... can’t see them taking any points though - but hoping for a draw!

Just don’t think Spurs have the squad city do to be able to back that up but we’ll see. 

I take or leave a lot of footy nowadays , but I sat down to start that match last night at the Etihad and then it was the end . Unbelievable game . Personally I thought both VR goals were totally correct . The goal may have clipped his arm onto his thigh but his arm was tucked into his body and it wasn’t a clear obvious error or with any intent . In fact that ref was superb , you hardly noticed him. Again , like the WC you see how good they are compared to ours  

I think the away goals rule was to prevent teams playing away first just shutting up shop and making zero effort to score. After a 0-0 draw in the first leg, the away team has to try and score in the second leg and that means there is a big advantage over the two legs for the team drawn away in the first leg. I seem to remember some awful first leg games in the 60s, Man City vs Fenerbahce for one.?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

think the away goals rule was to prevent teams playing away first just shutting up shop and making zero effort to score. 

Like City in London . That was very strange from such an attacking vibrant side who dominate this league , including Spurs , week in week out . The media have a Pep love in but he got that wrong , not for the first time in the champions league

45 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Like City in London . That was very strange from such an attacking vibrant side who dominate this league , including Spurs , week in week out . The media have a Pep love in but he got that wrong , not for the first time in the champions league

And the away goals rule saw to it that there was no reward for these tactics.

Fwiw, when I saw the 1-0 result, I feared this would happen. City can score lots of goals, but they struggle to keep a clean sheet so it was always likely to be a case of who can outscore whom. Also, the substitution just after going 4-2 up struck me as risky. What did you think?

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Fwiw, when I saw the 1-0 result, I feared this would happen. City can score lots of goals, but they struggle to keep a clean sheet so it was always likely to be a case of who can outscore whom. Also, the substitution just after going 4-2 up struck me as risky. What did you think?

Funnily enough I thought exactly the same at the time . They were in the ascendancy and on a roll . Why upset that and give a sign of holding on to what you have rather than carrying on the momentum . In both games there were some rather conservative decisions 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

But it is what it is. 

It was to encourage away teams to attack rather than ' park the bus ' as the Italians used to do , plus wasn't it Stauer Bucharest that won it by drawing and then winning on penalties all the way through back in the 80s 

• Like 1

It may have developed that purpose but its original function was to resolve a tie so that there wouldn't have be a third leg at a neutral venue. (Famous example being Bangor City v Napoli which went to a third match, played at Highbury).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It was to encourage away teams to attack rather than ' park the bus ' as the Italians used to do , plus wasn't it Stauer Bucharest that won it by drawing and then winning on penalties all the way through back in the 80s 

In 1988 PSV Eindhoven won without winning a match from the Quarter Final stage. 

All 4 games were draws, 0-0 or 1-1 which were won on away goals except the final which at 0-0 went to penalties. 

I saw the final on tv.

Edited by Niels

On 18/04/2019 at 12:09, tonyXIII said:

City recovered well today. I watched the game on Sky.  A bit close for comfort but just 4 wins needed now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Juventus win Serie A for the 8th year in a row. WOW! & we thought Scottish football was one-sided.

That’s shocking for a footballing nation like Italy. Both Milan clubs and Roma should be challenging Juve consistently as they are massive clubs.

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

That’s shocking for a footballing nation like Italy. Both Milan clubs and Roma should be challenging Juve consistently as they are massive clubs.

Juve have won 35 Championship, the next nearest has only won 18, AC & Inter.