Football

26 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sounds like a crazy game the Leeds v Villa one as The Leeds players allowed Villa to walk the ball into the net for the equaliser. After a controversial Leeds opener. 

Can someone explain what was "controversial" about it; you play to the whistle don't you?

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

54 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Can someone explain what was "controversial" about it; you play to the whistle don't you?

It was controversial (apparently) because Villa had kicked the ball out during one of their attacks so that a Leeds player could receive treatment (again, apparently).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Leeds did nowt wrong to me . The guy flung himself down , no foul and the ref was right next to it . Villa players all stop , that’s their fault . Play to the whistle . The Leeds captain was right to argue the toss against giving a goal back . Where’s all this in the laws ? All of this moral stuff .. ooh you kick it out and we’ll throw it back to you stuff after a conference on the pitch is tripe . Ref stops it or not , if not play on . Players throw themselves around now , play on and they’ll soon get up and the ball goes out regularly if he needs treatment . This is a tactic that’s been increasingly used to break up the game so 

Edited by DavidM

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Leeds did nowt wrong to me . The guy flung himself down , no foul and the ref was right next to it . Villa players all stop , that’s their fault . Play to the whistle . The Leeds captain was right to argue the toss against giving a goal back . Where’s all this in the laws ? All of this moral stuff .. ooh you kick it out and we’ll throw it back to you stuff after a conference on the pitch is tripe . Ref stops it or not , if not play on . Players throw themselves around now , play on and they’ll soon get up and the ball goes out regularly if he needs treatment . This is a tactic that’s been increasingly used to break up the game so 

As I've written elsewhere, it is absolutely brilliant from Bielsa.

Leeds are not going to catch Sheffield United even if it stays 1-0 so why not be a sport. It immediately means your big worry - that you're going to have to take next week seriously and mentally & physically drain your players - evaporates, and you get to distract every single journalist and commentator from how Leeds have thoroughly blown their run at an automatic promotion spot. Man's a genius.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

As I've written elsewhere, it is absolutely brilliant from Bielsa.

Leeds are not going to catch Sheffield United even if it stays 1-0 so why not be a sport. It immediately means your big worry - that you're going to have to take next week seriously and mentally & physically drain your players - evaporates, and you get to distract every single journalist and commentator from how Leeds have thoroughly blown their run at an automatic promotion spot. Man's a genius.

Wonder if he’d do that in the playoffs ? 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wonder if he’d do that in the playoffs ? 

He wouldn't have done it if he wasn't thirteen goals behind Sheffield.

The Isthmian South East drew the short straw and so its play off semi finals are on Monday this week, the final is on Friday. Those of you who vaguely follow non league football will be aware that the FA has managed to create a system where divisions have play offs but not every winner of every play off will be promoted. And you may not know whether you are one of the lucky ones until after the last game has been played.

So, 1123 into the Pilot Field last night to see Hastings (3rd) play Ashford (4th) for the right to lose to Horsham (who play in Lancing) on Friday. Hastings led 1-0 and 2-1 but eventually went down to a 119th minute penalty to lose 3-2. So they remain quite a large fish in quite a small pond. Ashford get to brave the Friday evening traffic and have a go at pulling off the shock.

My next match will be the FA Women's Cup final which, if it goes with form, should see Man City spank West Ham into the middle of next week.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 13:53, gingerjon said:

2015 FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United are liquidated today over an 8k debt.

On 15/03/2019 at 17:56, Niels said:

I remember them being in the conference, now the national league a couple of years ago. 

They played at Torquay last game of the season before they went down. I remember there was a big crowd as Torquay needed to win to stay up. 

It's sad to see them liquidated for such a comparatively small sum of money.

On 15/03/2019 at 20:21, gingerjon said:

There’s been “shenanigans” as well which I don’t pretend to have followed. I think this reasonably trivial debt is just the final straw but it could easily have been something else.

A new club, North Ferriby FC, has been formed and will play out of the Church Road ground from next season.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/north-ferriby-new-football-team-2808210

• Like 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

59 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Today I watched my team beat the oldest professional league club in the world which made them no longer the oldest professional league club in the world. 

How was the game and atmosphere?

At one stage Notts County were safe I think? 

Did they bring many supporters?

34 minutes ago, Niels said:

How was the game and atmosphere?

At one stage Notts County were safe I think? 

Did they bring many supporters?

Over 2200. They were staying up for a bit but Swindon played well and deserved the win. County fans were loud throughout even/especially when they knew they were down. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Over 2200. They were staying up for a bit but Swindon played well and deserved the win. County fans were loud throughout even/especially when they knew they were down. 

Sol Campbell rightly earning the plaudits for both taking on the Macclesfield job and then keeping them up.

48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sol Campbell rightly earning the plaudits for both taking on the Macclesfield job and then keeping them up.

Very true but the good job he's done has got a bit lost in the "oldest professional league club in the world" becoming non-league. 

So who are now the oldest professional league club in the world? Stoke City could claim that title but they went bankrupt in 1907 and reformed, so technically not the same club. So the next oldest is Nottingham Forest. That surely won't please County fans. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Salah probably shouldn't be playing again for a couple of weeks, but I won't be surprised if he's playing on Wednesday.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The rule is a week isn’t it?

Used to be 2 weeks in rugby wasn't it?  I can't remember?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

EWatched some of the women's cup final yesterday, don't want to run the sport down as I had 2 daughters who played football until their mid teens but who are the people who follow the women's game.43000 there ,are they all supporters of their parent clubs or are they people new to the game,whichever way it shows that support for any team can be built from zero with the correct marketing 

4 minutes ago, Route66 said:

EWatched some of the women's cup final yesterday, don't want to run the sport down as I had 2 daughters who played football until their mid teens but who are the people who follow the women's game.43000 there ,are they all supporters of their parent clubs or are they people new to the game,whichever way it shows that support for any team can be built from zero with the correct marketing 

I think the 43,000 is more reflective of the total support across the breadth of the country for the women’s FA Cup final rather than Man City and West Ham fans looking at the average crowd attendances that I am aware of.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Salah probably shouldn't be playing again for a couple of weeks, but I won't be surprised if he's playing on Wednesday.  

One things for sure if he plays on Wednesday he isn’t in danger of making it any worse. 

Watching games again today , football  is full of young fit conditioned blokes but the amount of time they spend writhing around on the floor rolling about and holding some body part after no or minimal contact is amazing . Until a physio comes on gives them a drink and sprays water on them . And preferably until they get a free kick and someone booked . The diving  around like Greg Louganis is just a sad joke . Refs have the devils own job because they’re so adept at it and it’s just ingrained 

• Like 1