Football

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Watching games again today , football  is full of young fit conditioned blokes but the amount of time they spend writhing around on the floor rolling about and holding some body part after no or minimal contact is amazing . Until a physio comes on gives them a drink and sprays water on them . And preferably until they get a free kick and someone booked . The diving  around like Greg Louganis is just a sad joke . Refs have the devils own job because they’re so adept at it and it’s just ingrained 

I can only presume they practice it just like other aspects of the game.

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 hours ago, Route66 said:

EWatched some of the women's cup final yesterday, don't want to run the sport down as I had 2 daughters who played football until their mid teens but who are the people who follow the women's game.43000 there ,are they all supporters of their parent clubs or are they people new to the game,whichever way it shows that support for any team can be built from zero with the correct marketing 

A bit like the RFL ... getting a crowd of 43,000 when you've told the media you've sold 52,000 tickets is ... interesting.

I was there in a cross generational group of three: dad, me and son. I'd say, from a very rough look around, there would about 6k from West Ham, 5k from City and the rest were in the neutral or family areas, the majority backing West Ham as either the London side or the underdog. Or because they noticed Alisha Lehmann's bottom and needed an excuse to keep staring.

The decision (by Southampton it seems) not to allow West Ham to move their men's game (they overlapped) and City's men being regulars at Wembley will have killed any novelty to those fans (and the 5.30 kick off done no favours to anyone travelling from outside London). But it was a good enough game - City always in control, really - and the atmosphere, even with so many neutrals, was decent. I'll certainly be back next year.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, bobbruce said:

After all the fuss Arsenal fans made to get Wenger out. Have they actually qualified for the champions league since he’s left. 

Considering he left at the end of last season, not much of a hot take there. And yet they could still qualify by winning the europa league.

Edited by Mr Wind Up

Salford at Wembley for the first time since 1969!!

Tickets for the final are £41 and £36!!

I ll be there as I live in London.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Totally Useless Fact

All of Swindon Town's goals, in the 2018/19 season, were scored by English born players. 

Don t Sheffield United have a squad of only British players so this may be true of them too.

2 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

Don t Sheffield United have a squad of only British players so this may be true of them too.

British and Irish

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

0-0 

But we’ve been here before over the last two weeks  with City. They’ll win 1-0 or 2-0.

To get anything Leicester have to score this won’t finish 0-0. 

Phew! On to Sunday. Come on you blues!

• Like 3

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hope all you City fans are attending the FA Cup final as the tickets have actually had to go on general sale!

Bit embarrassing!

With two price bands of Final tickets being over £100, plus the tube strike meaning they might miss the last train back so now need a hotel room plus season ticket, League Cup run to Final, Champion League matches plus European travel, PL away games and national travel, maybe just maybe they might watch the FA Cup Final in the pub, with their mates and a few pints. 

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

With two price bands of Final tickets being over £100, plus the tube strike meaning they might miss the last train back so now need a hotel room plus season ticket, League Cup run to Final, Champion League matches plus European travel, PL away games and national travel, maybe just maybe they might watch the FA Cup Final in the pub, with their mates and a few pints. 

Any supposed big club would have sold them out no problem.

For all City’s success they do have a problem getting their fans to go to their games.

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Screenshot_20190507-085042.png

Does that include a figure for % of ground sold out?

The fact is City had to actually return quite a large part of their FA Cup semi final allocation this year.

They struggled to sell their League Cup final allocation and had to give away tickets in the end.

They have struggled to sell out Champions League games.

And now have had to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale which is pretty embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Does that include a figure for % of ground sold out?

The fact is City had to actually return quite a large part of their FA Cup semi final allocation this year.

They struggled to sell their League Cup final allocation and had to give away tickets in the end.

They have struggled to sell out Champions League games.

And now have had to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale which is pretty embarrassing.

Not really. Maybe the majority of City fans still come from the traditional working class background and can't afford to follow them like the used to. Maybe they don't have as many bandwagon jumpers as the other big teams, which in my opinion is a good thing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Not really. Maybe the majority of City fans still come from the traditional working class background and can't afford to follow them like the used to. Maybe they don't have as many bandwagon jumpers as the other big teams, which in my opinion is a good thing. 

Man City traditionally draw from south Manchester - arguably a much more affluent area than Man Utd’s strongholds in the city and beyond like Salford.

Having your FA Cup final allocation go on general sale as a supposed big club is embarrassing.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I, personally, think the most embarrassing thing in top flight football in this country is the ticket prices. Any fans who don't buy those tickets because they can't *afford them, should be supported not mocked. 

*I understand there could be other reasons 

• Like 1