Football

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I, personally, think the most embarrassing thing in top flight football in this country is the ticket prices. Any fans who don't buy those tickets because they can't *afford them, should be supported not mocked. 

*I understand there could be other reasons 

To be fair FA Cup final tickets are like gold at most big clubs as the allocations tend to be smaller than say the League Cup final.

Perhaps poverty isn’t the biggest factor here and let’s face it other big clubs tend to to draw from deprived areas too.

Maybe City fans just aren’t as interested in getting behind their team - it is hard to explain.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Maybe the majority of City fans still come from the traditional working class background ...

That won't make them any different to pretty much any other football club though. Even ones in affluent areas would tend to draw the majority of their support from working class people. And, as far as I know, it is vanishingly rare for a club not to sell its FA Cup final allocation - not least because the number allocated is usually well under a team's average home crowd.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Jealousy is a terrible affliction.

I think also the behaviour of City fans is generally better than that of certain other clubs. 

That is far more important than selling allocations. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That won't make them any different to pretty much any other football club though. Even ones in affluent areas would tend to draw the majority of their support from working class people. And, as far as I know, it is vanishingly rare for a club not to sell its FA Cup final allocation - not least because the number allocated is usually well under a team's average home crowd.

That used to be the case before the semi finals were held at Wembley Jon.

Recently Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal have all returned tickets for sale in semi finals.

The stadium wasnt anywhere near full for Hull v Sheffield United a few years ago either, 2 clubs that don't visit Wembley often. 

Not sure about Liverpool but they haven't won many domestic trophies recently?

Seriously I think it is the loss if prestige in the FA cup, similar to the challenge cup. 

This has become a rather odd thread. Man City have now sold out their allocation of 35,421 tickets.  I am sure nobody is embarrassed in the slightest that some tickets went on general sale.

I’d imagine clubs get more tickets for semi finals. As a lot of final tickets get given out to county FAs and referees society's as a thank you. Plus obviously all the sponsors. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

That used to be the case before the semi finals were held at Wembley Jon.

Recently Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal have all returned tickets for sale in semi finals.

The stadium wasnt anywhere near full for Hull v Sheffield United a few years ago either, 2 clubs that don't visit Wembley often. 

Not sure about Liverpool but they haven't won many domestic trophies recently?

Seriously I think it is the loss if prestige in the FA cup, similar to the challenge cup. 

Nice spin there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

And that hasn't happened here either.

From what I can find online, City have c40,000 season ticket holders, and an allocation of 35k. You will never get 100% of season ticket holders going.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And that hasn't happened here either.

From what I can find online, City have c40,000 season ticket holders, and an allocation of 35k. You will never get 100% of season ticket holders going.

Usually what happens at a big club with big demand for FA Cup final tickets is that there is a ballot for all those who have attended previous games in the FA Cup or have an extensive buying history on a membership card.

This covers off any tickets that may be surplus to requirements for season ticket holders.  To get tickets for an FA Cup final for a big club through the ballot requires quite a bit of fortune.

What is unheard of for a big club is for tickets to actually go on general sale for the FA Cup final!

41 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Usually what happens at a big club with big demand for FA Cup final tickets is that there is a ballot for all those who have attended previous games in the FA Cup or have an extensive buying history on a membership card.

This covers off any tickets that may be surplus to requirements for season ticket holders.  To get tickets for an FA Cup final for a big club through the ballot requires quite a bit of fortune.

What is unheard of for a big club is for tickets to actually go on general sale for the FA Cup final!

If staging a ballot helps 'big clubs' and their fans get one over City and feel better about themselves, good on them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

If staging a ballot helps 'big clubs' and their fans get one over City and feel better about themselves, good on them.

Not sure this is about getting one over City, just pointing out a statement of fact regarding their FA Cup final sales.

Besides you’ve missed the perfect opportunity to point out that, “you’re not really here!”

?

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Man City traditionally draw from south Manchester - arguably a much more affluent area than Man Utd’s strongholds in the city and beyond like Salford.

Having your FA Cup final allocation go on general sale as a supposed big club is embarrassing.

That’s three posts in a row using the word embarrassing. Im no fan of City, but some perspective wouldnt go astray. 

Man City fans had to go to Wembley at the start of the season for the Community Shield.

They went to Wembley in the league.

They went to Wembley in the FA Cup semi.

They went to Wembley in the League cup final.

And theyll be going to Wembley in the FA cup final.

5 trips to Wembley in a season. 13 additional trips to London or further south. A trip to Ukraine, France, and twice to Germany. And their home attendance is more or less full most matchdays.

For a club whose success is recent, and which hasnt spawned a major following in London like United, and all the wealthy casuals that attracts, I think we can cut them some slack. Their fans are paying through the nose to follow their team compared to 10 years ago. 

I suspect their allocation will be filled. But even if it wasnt, hardly embarrassing all things considered.

I wonder how the Rhinos support would look after the 18th trip to London in a season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I wonder how the Rhinos support would look after the 18th trip to London in a season.

Rugby league fans won't follow their team ten miles down the road on a Thursday night.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Mr Wind Up said:

That’s three posts in a row using the word embarrassing. Im no fan of City, but some perspective wouldnt go astray. 

Man City fans had to go to Wembley at the start of the season for the Community Shield.

They went to Wembley in the league.

They went to Wembley in the FA Cup semi.

They went to Wembley in the League cup final.

And theyll be going to Wembley in the FA cup final.

5 trips to Wembley in a season. 13 additional trips to London or further south. A trip to Ukraine, France, and twice to Germany. And their home attendance is more or less full most matchdays.

For a club whose success is recent, and which hasnt spawned a major following in London like United, and all the wealthy casuals that attracts, I think we can cut them some slack. Their fans are paying through the nose to follow their team compared to 10 years ago. 

I suspect their allocation will be filled. But even if it wasnt, hardly embarrassing all things considered.

I’ve never heard of a big club having to put their FA Cup final tickets on general sale due to low demand.

It is a bit embarrassing for them even if they don’t want to face it.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve never heard of a big club having to put their FA Cup final tickets on general sale due to low demand.

It is a bit embarrassing for them even if they don’t want to face it.

And they’ve sold out their allocation. https://www.mancity.com/news/tickets-and-travel/tickets-and-travel/2019/may/fa-cup-final-man-city-watford-sold-out-tickets-news-details

Looks like City have more fans than season ticket holders. Maybe that makes a massive club. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

And they’ve sold out their allocation. https://www.mancity.com/news/tickets-and-travel/tickets-and-travel/2019/may/fa-cup-final-man-city-watford-sold-out-tickets-news-details

Looks like City have more fans than season ticket holders. Maybe that makes a massive club. 

The tickets had to go on general sale first was my point.

Not selling out your FA Cup final allocation at all would have been unthinkable.

Typical Rugby League poster! Never mind the performances or results, how big is the crowd? Jesus!

As an erstwhile City fan, I am deeply embarrassed by our winning the PL with a record number of points and goals as well as the LCup last season. And, as for being on the verge of repeating those successes and adding the FACup this year, the shame is overwhelming!

FYI, I think this year's PL effort is better than last year's, even with fewer points, because Liverpool have pushed us all the way and may still win it. If they do, I'll offer my congratulations. 

• Like 3

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

10 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Typical Rugby League poster! Never mind the performances or results, how big is the crowd? Jesus!

As an erstwhile City fan, I am deeply embarrassed by our winning the PL with a record number of points and goals as well as the LCup last season. And, as for being on the verge of repeating those successes and adding the FACup this year, the shame is overwhelming!

FYI, I think this year's PL effort is better than last year's, even with fewer points, because Liverpool have pushed us all the way and may still win it. If they do, I'll offer my congratulations. 

Blimey I have touched a nerve here.

What a goal from Kompany!

City fans can't have many finger nails left after all the recent 1-0 wins, in various competitions.

They must be hoping they'll be 3-0 up at Brighton by half-time, so they can relax for once.

Good luck also to Liverpool tonight. I'll be hoping they can make a game of things. I'm not a fan and I won't be devastated if they go out, but as a general rule I do tend to support the English clubs in Europe.

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Blimey I have touched a nerve here.

I'm a Salford fan and have to put up with this ###### on the rugby thread. I never thought it would raise its head here. So, yes, you have hit a nerve.

I hope it makes you happy.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

8 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I'm a Salford fan and have to put up with this ###### on the rugby thread. I never thought it would raise its head here. So, yes, you have hit a nerve.

I hope it makes you happy.

Sorry, that honestly wasn’t my intention and no, it doesn’t make me happy.

On the bright side, it appears to be less of a pain to obtain City tickets than it is for some other clubs - a positive thing for City followers!

55 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

The odd thing, genuinely, is that I was at the 1999 play-off final - the famous one - and it seemed like all of Wembley was singing Blue Moon. So City are not, by any stretch of any imagination, a small club made big. They're a big club that's become bigger. And that's why I'm surprised they didn't immediately sell their allocation - I'd have been equally perplexed if it had been any other club in an FA Cup final.

• Like 1