Football

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry, that honestly wasn’t my intention and no, it doesn’t make me happy.

On the bright side, it appears to be less of a pain to obtain City tickets than it is for some other clubs - a positive thing for City followers!

Will you be watching the game tonight?

What do you think will happen? It will be difficult with Salah and out. I remember 3-0 leads being overturned though.

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

What do you think will happen? It will be difficult with Salah and out. I remember 3-0 leads being overturned though.

I will be watching the game tonight and I think the crowd will have a big role to play.

I believe Liverpool need an early goal to give themselves a chance.

It could get exciting even if Barcelona score if Liverpool have established a big lead first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry, that honestly wasn’t my intention and no, it doesn’t make me happy.

On the bright side, it appears to be less of a pain to obtain City tickets than it is for some other clubs - a positive thing for City followers!

Which other clubs do you mean? 

Any comparison to London clubs is nonsense on this one.

So we are talking Liverpool and United I assume?

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The odd thing, genuinely, is that I was at the 1999 play-off final - the famous one - and it seemed like all of Wembley was singing Blue Moon. So City are not, by any stretch of any imagination, a small club made big. They're a big club that's become bigger. And that's why I'm surprised they didn't immediately sell their allocation - I'd have been equally perplexed if it had been any other club in an FA Cup final.

I think Mr Wind Up summed it up rather nicely. It is hardly a glamour tie with all respect to Watford.

But 35k City fans have bought tickets to sell out the allocation. Personally as a City fan, I'm not particularly surprised.

But, tbh, we could have run a ballot and sold the tickets that way and called ourselves a big club.

Often when clubs use ballots, they aren't all limited to season ticket holders, but they will get priority, so tickets can be obtained by non-season ticket holders but by balot. 

Edited by Dave T

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Which other clubs do you mean? 

Any comparison to London clubs is nonsense on this one.

So we are talking Liverpool and United I assume?

Have the other big clubs ever had to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale?

I’m unaware of that - if you know better Dave then by all means state where and when?

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Have the other big clubs ever had to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale?

I’m unaware of that - if you know better Dave then by all means state where and when?

Your post doesn't relate in the slightest to mine, so I assume you quoted it in error.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Oh I’m terribly sorry, I thought that was the current subject on the thread.

You didn't have the courtesy to answer my question, but asked me about something I hadn't claimed. I'm not sure why.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry what was the question, you can answer mine too if you fancy?

Which big clubs are you talking about? Watford have stated they will not be putting tickets on general sale (although I can find nothing that says they have sold out yet) - does that make them a big club?

In reality there are two huge clubs in the North, Liverpool and United who have support across the country and world. The London clubs should sell out Wembley easily. 

Clubs who make a one-off appearance like Watford or Wigan should absolutely sell theirs easily on novelty.

City have played in Wembley finals around 8 times in the last decade, plus all the semi finals. It really shouldn't be a massive surprise that the demand may be slightly less for this game against Watford.

It is an odd criticism when they have announced they have sold out their 35k allocation.

I have literally never heard of a big club having to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale.

You might not like it, but it certainly doesn’t reflect well on the state of City’s support and is noteworthy.

The quality of the opposition shouldn’t matter at all in my opinion, it is all about supporting your own team in a big match.

If City fans really are swerving it because they are playing Watford then it lowers them even further in my estimation.

59 minutes ago, Niels said:

Liverpool are capable of scoring 3 goals in 20 mins against anyone the problem is so are Barca. I’ve got a feeling we will either be blown away because of pushing on too much. Or come to regret Salah missing an open goal at the nou camp. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Liverpool are capable of scoring 3 goals in 20 mins against anyone the problem is so are Barca. I’ve got a feeling we will either be blown away because of pushing on too much. Or come to regret Salah missing an open goal at the nou camp. 

I certainly did, I had a bet on Barca to win but both to score.

I think Barca will win tonight, just got a feeling (and a few quid on it).

28 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have literally never heard of a big club having to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale.

You might not like it, but it certainly doesn’t reflect well on the state of City’s support and is noteworthy.

The quality of the opposition shouldn’t matter at all in my opinion, it is all about supporting your own team in a big match.

If City fans really are swerving it because they are playing Watford then it lowers them even further in my estimation.

What exactly is there to be ashamed of here? Let me guess, your team ain't winning so you have to bang on about how big a club you are? 

What does it even mean? 

Whilst you go on about that, City and their fans are going back to Wembley and playing for the League this Sunday. 

I suppose being called a big club on a forum is important to some.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

What exactly is there to be ashamed of here? Let me guess, your team ain't winning so you have to bang on about how big a club you are? 

What does it even mean? 

Whilst you go on about that, City and their fans are going back to Wembley and playing for the League this Sunday. 

I suppose being called a big club on a forum is important to some.

I think you’re spectacularly missing my point.

I do count City as a big club, but it is unheard of for a big club to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale.

I’m genuinely astonished by it and the excuse that you make of them playing Watford does City fans no credit at all.

12 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you’re spectacularly missing my point.

I do count City as a big club, but it is unheard of for a big club to put their FA Cup final allocation on general sale.

I’m genuinely astonished by it and the excuse that you make of them playing Watford does City fans no credit at all.

A couple of things here. Firstly, football is not immune to fans being more selective, the costs can be prohibitive. Police figures show some rather low crowds relatively speaking for some supposedly big games over the last couple of years. More and more on the BBC we are seeing swathes of empty seats for Cup matches on TV. That isnt just an RL thing.

Secondly, of course the opposition has an impact on demand. It is really dumb to suggest otherwise. It happens in literally every game. As a Wire fan I have seen us take far fewer to Wembley due to opposition and novelty wearing off. I'm not sure why football fans should be any different. It is backward to suggest the demand would be the same for City tickets if they were playing Man Utd in the final.

Finally, you may not have seen clubs put tickets on general sale, but clubs normally announce they wont be going on general sale - Watford did this. City announced they would go on general sale if any remained. Maybe Watford wont take the same size allocation as City's 35k. City have taken extra allocations and sold them. The original allocation was c28k I believe. 

And finally finally, if we see a comparable club making so many Wembley appearances we will soon see some lethargy set in.

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

Every time I see Barcelona they seem to believe there are special rules for them where everyone has to stand around watching them stroke it around and play,  and if you go near them they collapse and their team mates rush to complain to the ref 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Every time I see Barcelona they seem to believe there are special rules for them where everyone has to stand around watching them stroke it around and play,  and if you go near them they collapse and their team mates rush to complain to the ref 

They’ve been disgraceful so far this evening. 

Henderson looks a goner... had been playing very well too.

Edited by GeordieSaint

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

They’ve been disgraceful so far this evening. 

Henderson looks a goner... had been playing very well too.

Yeh that Suarez is as lovely and sporting as ever 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Did he stop for a 'snack'? ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A couple of things here. Firstly, football is not immune to fans being more selective, the costs can be prohibitive. Police figures show some rather low crowds relatively speaking for some supposedly big games over the last couple of years. More and more on the BBC we are seeing swathes of empty seats for Cup matches on TV. That isnt just an RL thing.

Secondly, of course the opposition has an impact on demand. It is really dumb to suggest otherwise. It happens in literally every game. As a Wire fan I have seen us take far fewer to Wembley due to opposition and novelty wearing off. I'm not sure why football fans should be any different. It is backward to suggest the demand would be the same for City tickets if they were playing Man Utd in the final.

Finally, you may not have seen clubs put tickets on general sale, but clubs normally announce they wont be going on general sale - Watford did this. City announced they would go on general sale if any remained. Maybe Watford wont take the same size allocation as City's 35k. City have taken extra allocations and sold them. The original allocation was c28k I believe. 

And finally finally, if we see a comparable club making so many Wembley appearances we will soon see some lethargy set in.

Maybe it’s a Manchester City fan culture thing and you just can’t accept it.

How many domestic trebles have City completed in the past.  None.

Having your FA Cup final allocation go on general sale is pathetic.

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He has a job to do and he’s doing it. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Maybe it’s a Manchester City fan culture thing and you just can’t accept it.

How many domestic trebles have City completed in the past.  None.

Having your FA Cup final allocation go on general sale is pathetic.

Meh, it's really not a big deal. Or a deal at all tbh.

This big club criticism of City helps Liverpool and United fans feel good about themselves.

I remember some Bradford fans always boasting how big a club they were compared to the likes of Wire, even as they were on a rapid decline. I've never really 'got' the big club thing. It's odd imo.

Edited by Dave T