Football

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’ve just seen the UEFA Cup final is in Baku!  Well that’s a logical obvious choice , not . Looks like they’re gonna have a total nightmare getting there and it’s not noted for its human rights record or record on a few other things . But I think it’s got lots of oil dosh although I’m sure there’s no connection 

The number of people just discovering where the Europa League final being held is … odd.

I mean, the 2020 final is in Gdansk. They announce these things ages in advance.

Much oil money in Poland?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The number of people just discovering where the Europa League final being held is … odd.

I mean, the 2020 final is in Gdansk. They announce these things ages in advance.

Much oil money in Poland?

You don’t find Baku a bizarre choice . Honestly . I’ve just seen Klopps press conference with his thoughts , rare I agree with him . Poland is a bit different 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You don’t find Baku a bizarre choice . Honestly . I’ve just seen Klopps press conference with his thoughts , rare I agree with him . Poland is a bit different 

There were three bids to host. Seville - but Madrid already had the Champions League final. Istanbul - which also bid for the Super Cup (winner of Europa v winner of Champions League). And Baku.

Istanbul got the Super Cup, Baku got this.

Azerbaijan has been a member of UEFA for 25 years.

Perhaps people on this side of the UEFA zone could provide a handy list of countries they don't think they deserve to host major finals because they're a bit far.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There were three bids to host. Seville - but Madrid already had the Champions League final. Istanbul - which also bid for the Super Cup (winner of Europa v winner of Champions League). And Baku.

Perhaps people on this side of the UEFA zone could provide a handy list of countries they don't think they deserve to host major finals because they're a bit far.

Does it have a train station nearby ?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Does it have a train station nearby ?

A bus rapid transit system.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Azerbaijan is also hosting games in next year's European championships. 

It also hosted the Eurovision song contest recently.

Very happy with City's win today.?

Commiserations to Liverpool. Sadly, someone had to finish second. You've had a fantastic season and it's not over yet! 

• Like 4

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Commiserations to Liverpool. Sadly, someone had to finish second. You've had a fantastic season and it's not over yet! 

Slightly deflated this afternoon. But what a great season. Gone toe-to-toe with arguably the best Premier League side ever. Immensely proud of what Liverpool have achieved; just sadly not quite enough...

Well done City; well deserved to a great team. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bill Shankly said...

If you are first you are first, if you are second you are nothing. 

The Liverpool fans trying to convince everyone they are satisfied with their second place  are totally delusional, and it goes to show how three decades of losing affects the mind for the worse. 

Thank you City for sparing the nation from the most insufferable fanbase in the world. 

Our thoughts and prayers are now with the Spuds.

Edited by Mr Wind Up
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

They’ve just shown the winning points from the previous seasons and 98 wins every year bar one. 

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, Mr Wind Up said:

So good he has 0 trophies in 4 years. At successful clubs, that’d get you the sack.

He might not have the trophies, but he impresses me greatly. I'm sure the trophies will come his way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They’ve just shown the winning points from the previous seasons and 98 wins every year bar one. 

97 wins every year bar 2.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

He might not have the trophies, but he impresses me greatly. I'm sure the trophies will come his way.

Ok. The game is played to win things. Maureen got sacked after 2.5 years with a 2nd place finish and 3 trophies. Klopp still in a job after 4 years with a 2nd place finish and nothing to show for it.

In time no one will remember this. Just like no one cares about how close Benitez and Rodgers got.

7 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Credit to Liverpool for being patient and I think there will definitely be trophies for Liverpool. Probably starting with the European title.

But, after getting ahead of City, the title was Liverpool's to lose this year ... and they lost it.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Credit to Liverpool for being patient and I think there will definitely be trophies for Liverpool. Probably starting with the European title.

But, after getting ahead of City, the title was Liverpool's to lose this year ... and they lost it.

Klopp is 0/3 in european finals. A serial winner this lad.

I really enjoyed the game today and the season. 

It was amazing how both teams kept winning. 

I think Manchester City won it because they realised first that every game, even tough away ones, had to be won. Liverpool seemed to settle for draws at Everton and Man Utd which at the time seemed sensible. However, incredibly, those were the last points dropped. 

Commisserations to Gerromonside ref who is always nice to me here.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Well done to Salford City. The largest City in England never to have an EFL team. Until now.

If only they changed their name to include Manchester they'd attract a lot more fans.......?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Which is completely irrelevant and completely ignored the level of competition in a particular season. It's sad that once proud fans are now trying to pretend to be happy with 2nd place.