Football

35 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Does that mean in the next version we are seeded to be in Group A1 with Netherlands & Portugal, or just seeded in one of the 4 "A Groups" as are Switzerland? Does anybody know, or care?

Just the 4 A groups. The top 2 in each group were already guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Does that mean in the next version we are seeded to be in Group A1 with Netherlands & Portugal, or just seeded in one of the 4 "A Groups" as are Switzerland? Does anybody know, or care?

No idea. But while 3/4 playoffs are a chore for disappointed teams, the Nations League has been an improvement over meaningless friendlies as a whole.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

England v Switzerland goes to extra-time in a game no-one gives a ff about

I was in quite a crowded pub with plenty of people watching the England v Switzerland game. Most people then stayed in the pub but paid very little attention to the England v Scotland women's game. Then people started watching again when Portugal v Holland came on. 

The only game that *no-one seemed to give a ff about was the women's one. 

*Based on a very unscientific study done by me in a pub in Wiltshire 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Watched a bit of the England women's game ,just over 13000 there,don't know if this is a good attendance or not but in true rugby league mode I was left looking at empty seats and wondering how the press would react if it was england rl 

59 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Watched a bit of the England women's game ,just over 13000 there,don't know if this is a good attendance or not but in true rugby league mode I was left looking at empty seats and wondering how the press would react if it was england rl 

Womens sport gets a free pass cos, you know. And also because few are watching.

This was supposed to be the biggest World Cup, but current average of 18,500 is well down on previous one in Germany that had 26,000.

Edited by Mr Wind Up

3 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Womens sport gets a free pass cos, you know. And also because few are watching.

This was supposed to be the biggest World Cup, but current average of 18,500 is well down on previous one in Germany that had 26,000.

Yes of course, 'you know'....?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

20 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Yes of course, 'you know'....?

If in doubt, go look at the coverage on the Guardian of the tournament. It’s positively absurd. 

There are agendas to push here. To hell with actual demand or interest.

1 hour ago, Route66 said:

It was a poor attendance and was commented on by the TV and radio commentators as such.

But, y'know, something about a free pass and agendas.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

If in doubt, go look at the coverage on the Guardian of the tournament. It’s positively absurd. 

This is the front page of the Guardian sport website right now.

image.thumb.png.1380a9c4c205c2e03816f85a037ec30c.png

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I actually agree, to some extent about your concerns. You just come across as a snowflake lad.

I bet you'd call the Rooney Rule an agenda.

45 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I actually agree, to some extent about your concerns. You just come across as a snowflake lad.

6.1m is the reported viewing figure.

4 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

What concerns? 

I have no concerns about womens football getting the coverage it gets. I know fully why it’s getting its coverage, and it has little to do with clicks.

Edit: And of course the Rooney Rule is more PC nonsense. But what annoys me most about it is that British reporters have adopted a name for it straight from gridiron. The Rooney Rule...named after..uh, Wayne? Mick? Oh, some nobody no Brit would recognise. Brill.

And remember folks, in his own words, Sol Campbell is the best mind in football. Just needs to be given the keys to the Bernebeu to show us.

Edited by Mr Wind Up

8 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

What concerns? 

I have no concerns about womens football getting the coverage it gets. I know fully why it’s getting its coverage, and it has little to do with clicks.

Edit: And of course the Rooney Rule is more PC nonsense. But what annoys me most about it is that Brits have adopted a name for it straight from gridiron. The Rooney Rule...named after..uh, Wayne? Mick? Oh, some nobody no Brit would recognise. Brill.

Thanks endangered Mr White Male Up.

You're proof that people outside your narrow circle can run rings round you, literally.

Did 'gridiron' cause any signs of nausea?

2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Thanks endangered Mr White Male Up.

You're proof that people outside your narrow circle can run rings round you, literally.

Did 'gridiron' cause any signs of nausea?

Not endangered at all. Plenty of us everywhere last I looked. 

Not at all, big fan of the NFL. 

Edited by Mr Wind Up

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This is the front page of the Guardian sport website right now.

image.thumb.png.1380a9c4c205c2e03816f85a037ec30c.png

77 articles on the WWC since June 1 on the Guardian. 

Go tally up the rugby league articles since June 1 2018., let alone the last RLWC...

Edited by Mr Wind Up

2 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Not endangered at all. Plenty of us everywhere last I looked. 

Not at all, big fan of the NFL. 

I never guessed you were a big fan.?

6 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Back on topic

It’s time for ifab to change offside law.

If any part of foot is in line with defender it should be onside.

I prefer an offside line parrallel to the 18 yard box.

3 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Big fan of ice hockey. Flames fan since the early days of Iginla.

Leafs fan, mainly cos I have a family connection with Toronto, but also Minnesota because of a family name that is the same as their moniker.

4 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Leafs fan, mainly cos I have a family connection with Toronto, but also Minnesota because of a family name that is the same as their moniker.

Commiserations. Theres always next year. 

With tavares, marner and matthews, youd figure theyd make it past the 1st round one day.

But hey, as it turns out, a 4-3 loss to the to-be newly crowned stanley cup champs doesnt look so bad now!

2 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Commiserations. Theres always next year. 

With tavares, marner and matthews, youd figure theyd make it past the 1st round one day.

But hey, as it turns out, a 4-3 loss to the to-be newly crowned stanley cup champs doesnt look so bad now!

I've only followed them from afar and to a slight degree. However, for such a massive club/franchise, they must rank as one of the biggest failures. The last time they won the Stanley Cup, I had yet to go to my first football match of any code. Then again, I wasn't aware of them before the early 70's.

• Like 1