Football

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Around the 3 minute mark I couldn't help but get "everyone was kung fu fighting!" into my head with that perfect executed martial arts style kick to the face!

I think my favourite bit is when the Chilean knocks his assailant clean out and nobody has a problem with it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

See if you can find film of Racing Club v Celtic or Chile v Italy in the 1962 World Cup, they made yesterday's game look like a pre-season friendly !

My first view of those shenanigans were the Argentinians in 66, then Estudianties at Old Trafford against Man Utd.

Burnley's "See Naples and Die" in 1967 was probably as bad as any.

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/edx8/see_naples_and_die_326903/index.shtml

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I think my favourite bit is when the Chilean knocks his assailant clean out and nobody has a problem with it.

I think the guy had been a boxer in his youth, top left winger though, Lionel Sanchez.

It was a man's  game then.

In the Racing v Celtic game Tommy Gemmell takes advantage of a melee to deliver a perfect kick in the nuts to one of the Racing players and then sneak away. Pretty funny but not for the guy on the receiving end.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think the guy had been a boxer in his youth, top left winger though, Lionel Sanchez.

It was a man's  game then.

In the Racing v Celtic game Tommy Gemmell takes advantage of a melee to deliver a perfect kick in the nuts to one of the Racing players and then sneak away. Pretty funny but not for the guy on the receiving end.

My dad, a Man United fan, has always vented about the goals that lost them the 1958 Cup final. The body slam to force the keeper to drop it over the line in particular.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just watched the second half of Spain v USA, never a penalty in a million years. Officiating like that is killing soccer for me.

As they said in commentary, it’s the third given for that kind of incident.

11 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Sadly not, I'm the cheapskate on the front row who wouldn't fork out £47 for an official Scotland WC shirt, preferring a plain blue Adidas top at £16. I joked at the time that my wife had spent £30 for a badge. The laugh was on me when this image was spread across social media. ????

• Haha 1

Good to see the FA know how to do it. Giving the U21 gig to Aidy Boothroyd so he could undo all the positive work being done at age level football was a genius move.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

A true Scot! ??????? ?

[Whisper it] I'm half-English. ?

It's just that I've always felt strange about wearing sports kit where I haven't earned the right. If they sold a supporters shirt then I'd go for that.

And I did by my wife's shirt.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

San Siro to be demolished rather than redeveloped it’s been announced in Italy.

Sad end for an iconic stadium.

Believe it’s a disappointing experience in some aspects to visit, but am tempted to make a pilgrimage next year.

Iconic ground. Will always remember it best because of Italia 90. I guess time moves on though. ?

34758FFC00000578-0-image-a-48_1464084125

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

San Siro to be demolished rather than redeveloped it’s been announced in Italy.

Sad end for an iconic stadium.

Believe it’s a disappointing experience in some aspects to visit, but am tempted to make a pilgrimage next year.

From what I've heard, the stadium is in very poor condition these days. Sad news, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/06/2019 at 22:07, Methven Hornet said:

Sadly not, I'm the cheapskate on the front row who wouldn't fork out £47 for an official Scotland WC shirt, preferring a plain blue Adidas top at £16. I joked at the time that my wife had spent £30 for a badge. The laugh was on me when this image was spread across social media. ????

Just tell people that the badge fell apart and came unstuck. A bit like the Scotland defence.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Wow - 6.9m watched the Eng vs Cameroon game according to the BBC this morning.

Nobody enjoyed it. They only watched because the Guardian made them.

Norway in the quarter final tonight. France v USA in Paris tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Come on The Lionesses! Let's get to another semi-final, after both 2015 and also the men last year.

Does Norway still have that commentator who went mad when they beat England in the early 1980's?

If so, I hope not to hear "Theresa May, your girls took a hell of a beating" tonight.

On 26/06/2019 at 00:33, 17 stone giant said:

Just tell people that the badge fell apart and came unstuck. A bit like the Scotland defence.

Seeing as the photo was taken prior to the first game, and the defence lasted until the final 16 minutes, I'll go with the defence.

Next time, though, I'm going dressed as the guy I saw leaving the ground. He was in his late seventies/early eighties, dressed in a kilt, shirt, tie, jacket and a suitable bunnet - very smart - and was immediately surrounded by lots of very pretty, young French women wanting their picture taken with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

Seeing as the photo was taken prior to the first game, and the defence lasted until the final 16 minutes, I'll go with the defence.

Next time, though, I'm going dressed as the guy I saw leaving the ground. He was in his late seventies/early eighties, dressed in a kilt, shirt, tie, jacket and a suitable bunnet - very smart - and was immediately surrounded by lots of very pretty, young French women wanting their picture taken with him.

Here's a couple of 'babe magnets' for you to model yourself on:

chuckle_body2_220x160.jpg

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Nobody enjoyed it. They only watched because the Guardian made them.

Norway in the quarter final tonight. France v USA in Paris tomorrow.

Think it’s still gonna be 29 degrees at kick off so that’ll be a factor