Football

3 hours ago, Methven Hornet said:

Seeing as the photo was taken prior to the first game, and the defence lasted until the final 16 minutes, I'll go with the defence.

Next time, though, I'm going dressed as the guy I saw leaving the ground. He was in his late seventies/early eighties, dressed in a kilt, shirt, tie, jacket and a suitable bunnet - very smart - and was immediately surrounded by lots of very pretty, young French women wanting their picture taken with him.

Did they break into cries of, "Donald, oú sont tes pantalons?"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Bob8, whats the temp in Danish, Denmark today?

and will someone shut the 4k off that car alarm by warrior square? It is doing my head in.

Hot. Mid-20s but feeling hotter with the humidity.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The USA are certainly professional about how they do thing... cough gamesmanship....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 4 weeks later...

So ... up for the Cup again ... 9 August and it's Bexhill United v Eastbourne Town in the Extra Preliminary Round (played at Eastbourne because the Polegrove is still a cricket ground this time of year). The winner gets £2,250 and an away match at either Sutton Common or Molesey.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, longboard said:

Things are looking shaky for Bury.

A good pun.

Genuinely worrying both for Bury and for the EFL who have confirmed they did not actually authorise or do any checks on the takeover. It is a complete mess.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Aston Villa sign Marvelous Nakamba, making 13 signings this summer https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49121478

But are the knives out already for the Villa?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49158163

They’ve brought in a lot of new players which is a strategy that didn’t work for Fulham last year.

I know every promoted team has to do some kind of strengthening exercise, but I’m always wary of those that rip the heart out of their team to do it.

That said, Grealish knows what’s expected and Heaton should bring some leadership to the defence.

It's a minor thing but I'm very pleased to see the correct punctuation returning to football scores.

The BBC have the team as Bradford (Park Avenue), as it should be.

31 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon win! ? 

I know none of you will care but I don't care cos Town won! ? 

Swindon winning demeans the sport.

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 04/08/2019 at 02:39, Gray1967 said:

The mighty Hammers lost there first bit of silverwear to Athletic Bilbao today in the betway cup ?

London media darlings, won nothing, pretend big club.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Anybody thinking about subscribing to The Athletic for £3 a month?

Basically it’s an online US sports website that has spent big on luring the top writing talent and local reporters - now they are making a play for the UK football market.

This kind of football only thing has never really worked in the UK before (unlike say in Italy), but the first signs are good in terms of content.

Anyone tempted?

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anybody thinking about subscribing to The Athletic for £3 a month?

Basically it’s an online US sports website that has spent big on luring the top writing talent and local reporters - now they are making a play for the UK football market.

This kind of football only thing has never really worked in the UK before (unlike say in Italy), but the first signs are good in terms of content.

Anyone tempted?

I already subscribe for the US content. It started city by city and Chicago (and thus the Cubs) was an early one. So it's pretty much my go-to for anything American. I think it will very quickly move on from soccer to other European sports. A sub is well worth it.

• Like 1