Football

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Daniel Farke has done alright . Every individual situation is different regardless of where they come from . Some work out some don’t . Personally I not convinced by Silva yet , this season is huge for him after the millions we’ve spent 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Agreed, Everton have great potential, the signing from Juve was a real coup. Makes you wonder why he chose Everton. Top six must be a realistic target, and a cup ?

I believe too it is a make-or-break season for Silva and there’s a lot of pressure on Kean to deliver up front.

I think on the whole though Silva has bought well and I think something is building there so patience might be the key.

I know Evertonians are desperate to have something to shout about now like a domestic cup.

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe too it is a make-or-break season for Silva and there’s a lot of pressure on Kean to deliver up front.

I think on the whole though Silva has bought well and I think something is building there so patience might be the key.

I know Evertonians are desperate to have something to shout about now like a domestic cup.

This is true , and playing you’re strongest team in the league cup will be a start . For teams like Everton that is a prime opportunity to get to a final 

To make a RL point, wouldn't we like to see lots of teams pushing for honours, risks being taken, new entrepreneurs putting money in SL ? Get rid of the spending /salary cap. I've never liked it, football does very nicely without it. I don't believe if clubs spent whatever they wanted, suddenly madness would ensue and clubs bankrupting themselves. Let guys like Koukash go on an ego trip, raise the RL profile in the process.

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just arrived in Exeter. First away game in years. C'mon Swindon!!! ? 

Maybe could have been a win but when you're 1-0 down with just 2 mins to go, we'll take that point! The 1000+ Town fans in the away end definitely enjoyed it! ?

I know it's early but I'm liking the look of the table. ?

_20190817_170301.JPG

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I'm not sure whether to start another thread on this, but the racist abuse of Paul Pogba on social media this week is both disgusting and baffling.

Pogba certainly deserves criticism; not so much for the penalty miss but his overall attitude in his time at Man United, but why target his race? Is this country really able to still produce such ignorant people and does social media enbolden them to spout this garbage?

Phil Neville has called for a social media boycott which of course may hide the problem but what's the root cause here?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I'm not sure whether to start another thread on this, but the racist abuse of Paul Pogba on social media this week is both disgusting and baffling.

Pogba certainly deserves criticism; not so much for the penalty miss but his overall attitude in his time at Man United, but why target his race? Is this country really able to still produce such ignorant people and does social media enbolden them to spout this garbage?

Phil Neville has called for a social media boycott which of course may hide the problem but what's the root cause here?

I honestly don't have an answer but it's worth saying that it goes well beyond just being a Paul Pogba issue.

It probably also goes well beyond being just a football issue - this was John Barnes's point - and, at some point, as a society we have to make a call about how much effort we're prepared to put into ending it.

And at the point is when we'll see a pushback against any proper action and a desire to return to just putting up the occasional KICK IT OUT banner.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Hastings beat Faversham 2-0 last night in front of 420 fans. Not the greatest game - Faversham weren't up to much and Hastings play a possession style that's a bit dull against such teams - but nice to see a decent gate and the Bovril was tasty.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Four takeover groups interested according to Sky Sports News today.

As long as it ends with the public horsewhipping of Steve Dale then I'm ambivalent about who gets to take over the club.

• Like 1

The countdown is on.

Unless something happens by 5pm Bury FC will effectively cease to exist.

23:59 actually.

This is quite sad in fact. There is a huge amount of money in football, but it is not filtered down. Within 40 kilometres there are 4 of the richest clubs in the world, and Bury, Bolton and other clubs within 40 km are struggling to pay their groundstaff, I'm not talking players, but backroom staff, thing like food delivery, security, field maintainance, printing, bar staff, gate staff, office & media management, etc etc,  they need Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool & Everton to step up to the plate & help out their "Feeder Clubs", otherwise they won't exist.

19 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

23:59 actually.

This is quite sad in fact. There is a huge amount of money in football, but it is not filtered down. Within 40 kilometres there are 4 of the richest clubs in the world, and Bury, Bolton and other clubs within 40 km are struggling to pay their groundstaff, I'm not talking players, but backroom staff, thing like food delivery, security, field maintainance, printing, bar staff, gate staff, office & media management, etc etc,  they need Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool & Everton to step up to the plate & help out their "Feeder Clubs", otherwise they won't exist.

Bury not being able to pay their players and staff has nothing to do with the wealth in football not filtering down and everything to do with one asset stripper deciding he doesn't want to.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Bury not being able to pay their players and staff has nothing to do with the wealth in football not filtering down and everything to do with one asset stripper deciding he doesn't want to.

Yeah, but they could help. 

I have a feeling for Bury, Swinton played at Gigg Lane when Station Rd was demolished, & My brother, who still Lives in M27 4FE is a Bury supporter, and was a season ticket holder when he was a chef in Bolton.

Swinton also played some games at Burnden Park, Bolton.....Spooky. Bolton, Bury & Swinton. I just hope it doesn't rub off on...….. where are we now? LSV? Sale? Altrincham? Carrington?

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Yeah, but they could help. 

Who would they give the money to?

Steve Dale says he has money and yet players and staff haven't been paid for months.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Who would they give the money to?

Steve Dale says he has money and yet players and staff haven't been paid for months.

A central EFL fund. There are many other clubs out there, struggling to pay backroom & Playing staff, even if Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Watford, Brighton Southampton, Bournemouth,  can support themselves by embezzling funds from elsewhere, usually player pension funds, which is why my Mrs tells them to invest in property while they have the Cash in hand. 

26 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

A central EFL fund. There are many other clubs out there, struggling to pay backroom & Playing staff, even if Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Watford, Brighton Southampton, Bournemouth,  can support themselves by embezzling funds from elsewhere, usually player pension funds, which is why my Mrs tells them to invest in property while they have the Cash in hand. 

But to repeat: this is nothing to do with any other club. This is everything to do with Bury's current owner and his unwillingness to pay the staff at Bury or complete some very basic paperwork for the EFL.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

They do that through the TV deal. 

Up for the cup tomorrow. Hastings playing Broadbridge Heath in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. First game for Hastings, Broadbridge Heath have come through the Extra Preliminary Round. The winner gets three grand, I believe. Not to be sneezed at.

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

But to repeat: this is nothing to do with any other club. This is everything to do with Bury's current owner and his unwillingness to pay the staff at Bury or complete some very basic paperwork for the EFL.

I think the current guy comes across badly, he certainly nothing to dissuade any negative ideas.

On a wider issues of football and money filtering down,  I thinks its only 4 premier league clubs that pay all staff the living wage.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!