Football

On 25/10/2019 at 14:46, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Back to a more positive story.  

_20191025_051105.JPG

_20191025_051404.JPG

_20191025_051441.JPG

That's my team! ? 

That’s a great gesture.

I remember a few years ago having a chat on Facebook with an old work colleague from Wakefield MDC.  He said his son was to be a mascot at a forthcoming Leeds United match and it cost something like £200 for the pleasure.  I was staggered that in this day of multi million pound tv deals that people actually paid for their kids to be a mascot.  I always thought parents put their kids name forward for free and names were drawn at random.

On 27/10/2019 at 07:58, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Here is a totally useless football fact. Well, it's totally useless if you're not a Swindon Town fan, which I suspect most of you aren't. 

Yesterday Eoin Doyle scored the 26th hat-trick, by a Swindon Town player away from home, since the war.

In that same period, only eight opposition players have scored hat-tricks at the County Ground. 

Since 1962/63, there have only been 3 hat-tricks scored, by opposition players, at the County Ground, whereas Town players have scored 19, on the road! ? 

Good to see him getting a few goals as he couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo at his parent club, Bradford City. Will we be seeing him back at VP in the new year? 

UEFA crack down on Bulgaria (not)

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Geez we talk about video refs in our sport but in football it’s a joke . They don’t seem to believe in the mantra of ‘ well at least you get it right ‘ . Just seen the most obvious penalty of all time and the video ref who I can only presume is Stevie Wonder says no penalty after seeing it hit the guys hand 25 times from every angle 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Geez we talk about video refs in our sport but in football it’s a joke . They don’t seem to believe in the mantra of ‘ well at least you get it right ‘ . Just seen the most obvious penalty of all time and the video ref who I can only presume is Stevie Wonder says no penalty after seeing it hit the guys hand 25 times from every angle 

I'm sure you know this, but the handball rule has changed. It's not a case of "hits hand, penalty" ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm sure you know this, but the handball rule has changed. It's not a case of "hits hand, penalty" ...

I read it ... hand in unnatural position outside of natural silhouette etc . And above head etc .Several given this year on that criteria . But it seems to be if you’re mate gives it or not

” an arm above your head or shoulder level is not a natural position “

Edited by DavidM

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I read it ... hand in unnatural position outside of natural silhouette etc . And above head etc .Several given this year on that criteria . But it seems to be if you’re mate gives it or not

Oh, it's a complete joke. They've utterly cocked up the whole thing.

EDIT

The terrifying thing is that VAR in the Premier League is a massive improvement on the insulting farce of VAR in the Women's World Cup.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Oh, it's a complete joke. They've utterly cocked up the whole thing.

Teething problems according to the premier league ...  Or not knowing the rules.  

The IFAB have now confirmed that a handball will be awarded if a player makes his body an "unnatural silhouette", i.e. making his body bigger with his arm. It is also automatically an offence if the arm is above shoulder height.

51FC8CF0-A28E-4C7C-87A2-36FDB9FF16BC.thumb.jpeg.5c44d70debba6b2c09134c3339b9cf13.jpeg

Edited by DavidM

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Terrible injury for Andre Gomes. 

Really upsetting to see. The players and staff were very quick to react and help. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2019 at 18:28, DavidM said:

Both arms above your head is a natural position if you are Italian.

• Haha 1

The whole question of VAR is getting out of hand because they wont tweak it as the season progresses , they think it isn`t fair to do so , so we`ll keep giving the same incorrect decisions until the end of the Season then change it .The ball brushing the hand and someone whos elbow is offside , REALLY ? Anyone can see that it is sheer madness .

34 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

When I see the use of VAR on Match of the Day, I'm glad my team are in Division 4 ?

I feel the same in rugby . We get the worst refs and touchies but you can still keep your video ref . I just can’t be doing with it personally .

Seems i am doomed at the Bookies these days , took Arsenal to win at Liverpool in the cup , got 12-1 for 4 goals or more scored , 3-1 and 4-2 up and drew . Last night did same bet on Ajax , got 10-1 to win and 4 goals or more scored , 4-1 up , 2 men sent off , draw again , i give up !