Football

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

No! 

Here's Croydon's statement 

https://www.afccroydonathletic.co.uk/news/club-statement-on-fisher-fc-game

The player denies saying anything wrong. The club will support the investigation. 

The problem is it becomes a he said/he didn't say debate. There probably won't be any actual independent evidence. If something was said "throw the book" at the individual. But if there's no evidence the can of worms remains open. Has a racist got away with abuse or has a player been accused of something he didn't do? 

I'm glad I don't have to decide 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

No! 

Here's Croydon's statement 

https://www.afccroydonathletic.co.uk/news/club-statement-on-fisher-fc-game

The player denies saying anything wrong. The club will support the investigation. 

The problem is it becomes a he said/he didn't say debate. There probably won't be any actual independent evidence. If something was said "throw the book" at the individual. But if there's no evidence the can of worms remains open. Has a racist got away with abuse or has a player been accused of something he didn't do? 

I'm glad I don't have to decide 

What's interesting is that, according to the admittedly partisan Fisher manager, someone on the Croydon Athletic bench appeared to confirm that they had heard the alleged comment. (But that others on the bench claimed not to have heard anything.)

Who knows where we'll go from here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

661 at Hastings yesterday to see the home town team score four inside the fifteen minutes and then have a training session before running out 5-1 winners over bottom of table East Grinstead. Only one automatic spot for promotion and Hastings are in it. The season reaches the halfway point next week I think.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Nice win for Arsenal 2-0 against MU.Usually cannon fodder.

And for once Ozil took his hands out of his pockets and had a go for a change .Strange what a bit of motivation brings..............as with Everton , West Ham and Watford all with new Managers .

You cannot stop individual nasty people from being dicks , all this rubbish about education is complete nonsense , if some Bell end decides he's ###### with an opposition player because his team is losing , and he decides he wants to insult that player who happens to be black , nothing will ever stop that person using racist terms 

Edited by GUBRATS

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You cannot stop individual nasty people from being dicks , all this rubbish about education is complete nonsense , if some Bell end decides he's ###### with an opposition player because his team is losing , and he decides he wants to insult that player who happens to be black , nothing will ever stop that person using racist terms 

People like that should be charged and banned. But education and announcements have their place particularly when young people are involved. 

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do wish we would just give the racists a break though. Why do we keep highlighting their abhorrent actions? 

Ignore them, they will go away without causing any harm. 

I know many will disagree Dave , but this is my opinion as well , yes ban and charge them if possible , but also try to stop giving them ' fame ' 

Unfortunately as I put earlier , nasty people will do nasty things 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I know many will disagree Dave , but this is my opinion as well , yes ban and charge them if possible , but also try to stop giving them ' fame ' 

Unfortunately as I put earlier , nasty people will do nasty things 

I thought it was clear from my opening line asking for racists to be given a break that my post wasn't serious. 

I understand the point about fame but I think there is a point to shaming the crowds into doing something and self-regulating. By creating an underworld of racism it can help it to grow, and if it isn't publicly shamed people don't necessarily know that action is being taken. 

In some of the recent incidents, stewards and fans surrounding have just stood and watched. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 17:02, Dave T said:

In some of the recent incidents, stewards and fans surrounding have just stood and watched. 

Stood and watched.

But when asked about it later: were looking the other way, guv.

• Like 1

Five-a-Side Football is so welcoming and inclusive... unless you play for the side quoted at length in this thread: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

This season has seen my club really make an effort to reconnect with the Town. The social media guys are great and Swindon Town in the Community are so hard working. Starting this season with between 6500 and 7000 at home games, the attendance yesterday was over 13000. No special offers, just work with the community. 

And we won! ? 

Ok, I'm sure it helped that we are top of the league and we were playing 2nd place. Hope some of them come back... ? 

_20200202_131401.JPG

_20200202_131347.JPG

_20200202_144402.JPG

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I believe that in the Premier League one of the issues is that the on-field referees are *not* looking at the screen by the pitch. Before Christmas there had been precisely zero instances of the on-field referee going to the screen itself. It was first used by a match official on 5th January.

• Like 1

Getting the ball out, as Jimmy Hill used to say,  

Will Liverpool go the whole season undefeated? 

Will Leicester stay in the top four?

Will Solskjaer be United manager next season?

Will Leeds balls it up again?

I think, No, Yes, Yes, and Yes

• Like 1

What Liverpool have done this year has been incredible, but it seems unlikely they will go unbeaten as Klopp has been quite clear in his focus on the Champions League rather than records.

I think that might mean weakened teams in the Premier League if Liverpool can progress in Europe.

I’m sure the Manchester City fans on here, who were congratulated last year by Liverpool fans on here, will return the favour soon, as you’d have to say that the reds are in a good position now.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

New one for me, I didn’t know there were sin bins in football.

It’s not universal but seems to be moving up through the leagues. So this was Southern Combination (formerly Sussex County) where it’s senior football teams who can enter the FA Cup but very low down that system.

Sin bin is only for dissent. The goalie got in the face of the ref after being fouled and got a yellow card plus ten minutes. Outfield player took the goal for that time.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2020 at 13:17, HawkMan said:

Getting the ball out, as Jimmy Hill used to say,  

Will Liverpool go the whole season undefeated? 

Will Leicester stay in the top four?

Will Solskjaer be United manager next season?

Will Leeds balls it up again?

I think, No, Yes, Yes, and Yes

Yes
No
Yes
Yes