Football

I watched Wednesday vs Man City last night. I thought Wednesday acquitted themselves reasonably well, but there never looked to be any chance they would win the tie. The gulf in resources is ridiculous, as exemplified when City brought Sterling on as a sub.

It could certainly have been worse as even most of our fans were predicting an absolute pasting by seven or eight clear goals. You could get odds of around 15:1 for the home team to win.

22 hours ago, JohnM said:

I don't understand this attitude to VAR. For years managers, players, pundits and fans have been criticising refs for wrong decisions and demanding the use of technology to improve the accuracy of decisions.

Now they have what they wanted and it's still not right.

Looks like you understand it perfectly. :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, sigesige00 said:

Why there are no London Scottish, London Irish and London Welsh in Football?

Because they play a different sport. It's like asking "why are there no New York Yankees, Boston Celtics or Toronto Maple Leafs in football?" ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Because they play a different sport. It's like asking "why are there no New York Yankees, Boston Celtics or Toronto Maple Leafs in football?" ?

There was a London Welsh soccer club. It didn’t last.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I saw the film "United" tonight, I forgot how many players lived in Salford, in the terraced houses at the time, they lived among us, worked and played, and died along us. My Gran knew Eddie Coleman's Mum.

Is there still a block of flats dedicated to Eddie Coleman, and Duncan Edwards in Salford? Stuff Bobby Moore, Duncan Edwards would've been the first Englishman to lift the world Cup, in 1962! & '66

On 01/03/2020 at 07:23, gingerjon said:

Any Scottish football that doesn't involve the gruesome twosome I tend to be interested in. Been to Queen of the South a fair few times.

I'm burdened with going to Firhill now and again..... it's a heavy load I carry.

31 minutes ago, longboard said:

Another rare bit of football knowledge from Jon. ?

It’s also wrong!

I’d thought I’d read that they’d closed a few years after founding but they’re still going in the London amateur/old boys leagues.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It’s also wrong!

I’d thought I’d read that they’d closed a few years after founding but they’re still going in the London amateur/old boys leagues.

Welching on your previous post eh?!

• Haha 1

Been to Queen of the South a fair few times.

The only football club to be talked about by Jesus*

"The Queen of the South will rise up..." - Luke 11:31

*The one in the Bible, not the one at Man City 

20 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

One of those days that remind you what it's actually like to be a Swindon Town fan ?

I had a day which reminded you that sometimes non league football can be ... so bad you end up paying more attention to the kids kicking a bottle round and the rules they’re coming up with in their game.

Hastings won to return to the top of the table. But it was dour for long stretches. I have earned this pint.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2020 at 16:13, Robin Evans said:

I'm burdened with going to Firhill now and again..... it's a heavy load I carry.

Any Scottish football that doesn't involve the gruesome twosome I tend to be interested in. Been to Queen of the South a fair few times.

Queen of the South are live on BBC Scotland on Friday evening against Ayr. I'm looking forward to watching it.

We watch it on freeview down here on the BBC Scotland channel.

Edited by Niels

Professional Football suspended in England and Scotland.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the absence of a match, Southampton and Manchester City’s official Twitter feeds have been playing Noughts and Crosses this afternoon. That's the spirit that got us through the Blitz. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Do they play professional football in Scotland ? You learn summat new every day 

My mistake; that should read professional football suspended in England, and professional fitba' suspended in Scotland.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

?On this day in 1969,
On League Cup Final Day,
The Arsenal went to Wembley,
They walked the Wembley Way.
They thought they'd win it easy,
They thought they'd won the Cup,
But along come Swindon Town FC,
And fuc...?

...oh forgot. No swearing...

...Along come Swindon Town FC,
And become heroes forever. 

Arsenal 1-3 Swindon Town ?

_20200315_065018.JPG

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino

• 2 weeks later...

Live Football this weekend. Will anyone be searching for a live stream? 

Belarusian Premier League 
Friday 3rd April 
Belshina vs Gorodeya - 3.00pm
Dinamo Minsk vs Torpedo-Belaz Zhodino - 5.00pm

Saturday 4th April
Shakhtyor vs Neman - 1.30pm
BATE vs Ruh Brest - 3.30pm
Dinamo Brest vs Skavia-Mozyr - 5.30pm

Sunday 5th April
Energetik-BGU vs Minsk - 12.00pm
Vitebsk vs Smolevichi-STI - 2.00pm
Isloch vs Slutsk - 4.00pm

Really looking forward to the Smolevichi-STI vs Slutsk fixture later in the season...

...seriously, STIs and Sluts are bound to be a "good" match-up. ?