Football

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Live Football this weekend. Will anyone be searching for a live stream? 

Belarusian Premier League 
Friday 3rd April 
Belshina vs Gorodeya - 3.00pm
Dinamo Minsk vs Torpedo-Belaz Zhodino - 5.00pm

Saturday 4th April
Shakhtyor vs Neman - 1.30pm
BATE vs Ruh Brest - 3.30pm
Dinamo Brest vs Skavia-Mozyr - 5.30pm

Sunday 5th April
Energetik-BGU vs Minsk - 12.00pm
Vitebsk vs Smolevichi-STI - 2.00pm
Isloch vs Slutsk - 4.00pm

Really looking forward to the Smolevichi-STI vs Slutsk fixture later in the season...

...seriously, STIs and Sluts are bound to be a "good" match-up. ?

I taught a Belarussian language student who loved BATE, her father was part of the board.

Dynamo Brest are the current champions I think.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

Interesting story doing the rounds concerning Premier League Clubs and their players living in a "Moral Vacuum" concerning their wages .It comes from Julian Knight who apparently is the chair of the Digital for Culture, Media and Sport committee , saying that players should be the first to sacrifice their wages in the current crisis . I`ve been thinking about this myself , as quite a lot of them as we know are on stupid money each week , surely they can`t just sit there for maybe 6 months taking the money for basically doing nowt , while businesses go to the wall and some families live hand to mouth , The NHS for one wouldn`t mind a little help with sourcing equipment etc. , surely a bit of common sense should prevail . 

24 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

. I`ve been thinking about this myself , as quite a lot of them as we know are on stupid money each week , surely they can`t just sit there for maybe 6 months taking the money for basically doing nowt , while businesses go to the wall and some families live hand to mouth , The NHS for one wouldn`t mind a little help with sourcing equipment etc. , surely a bit of common sense should prevail . 

That's down to the players themselves, some of them have been donating, some of them have been bunkering.

17 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Interesting story doing the rounds concerning Premier League Clubs and their players living in a "Moral Vacuum" concerning their wages .It comes from Julian Knight who apparently is the chair of the Digital for Culture, Media and Sport committee , saying that players should be the first to sacrifice their wages in the current crisis . I`ve been thinking about this myself , as quite a lot of them as we know are on stupid money each week , surely they can`t just sit there for maybe 6 months taking the money for basically doing nowt , while businesses go to the wall and some families live hand to mouth , The NHS for one wouldn`t mind a little help with sourcing equipment etc. , surely a bit of common sense should prevail . 

I'm sure there are  examples of footballers (and "normal" people with money) being generous with their money at these times.

Personally I hope we don't hear about any of them because that means it's being done for the right reasons and not for self-seeking publicity. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Interesting to see whether a human rights abusing murderer will pass the Premier League's fit and proper person test 

Course they will!

On 15/04/2020 at 00:04, Jeff Stein said:

Interesting to see whether a human rights abusing murderer will pass the Premier League's fit and proper person test 

It will depend on who are the owners and directors surely? ?  Rule F. 1.6 of the Premier League Rules would seem to exclude people who are bad hats, regardless of the absence of criminal convictions, here or abroad.

On 12/04/2020 at 23:26, Bleep1673 said:

Tottenham Hotspurs South Korean Son Hueng-min has been voted player of the year, but cant collect his trophy, because he's in S Korea doing some Natonal Service.

Source: Arirang TV 

Only this morning was this reported on BBC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ah, the day we turned a Man United fan into a Town fan. ?

In September '92 a Salfordian lad arrived in our office. As he knew no one in Swindon I invited him to the pub at the weekend and he quickly became part of our group of mates. Around February he started coming to some Town games, including some away. He also came to all 3 playoff games and was definitely celebrating like a Town fan when we won promotion.

We all crashed at his parents house in Salford (Joseph Holt was a nice beer) when we played at Old Trafford. He was happy United won (4-2) and also that Town actually played well.

However after the draw at the County Ground, we were celebrating in the pub after when this proud Salfordian said "I can't believe we just drew with United!" 

We! He said We!

Even today, while he is still a United fan, he is, first and foremost, a Swindon Town fan ?

Found my ticket (Lockdown Sort-Out) from the first ever playoffs. Had to be completed at a neutral venue as the two-legged final had finished a draw. Despite the fact that Selhurst Park is about 60 miles closer to Gillingham, Town took nearly twice as many fans. WHAT A NIGHT! ? 

_20200429_055339.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting to see that Crystal Palace included Athletic Club on the ticket.

May 29th 1987, I had just left home to begin a career on NHS agency, I was working at the Lister Hospital, Stevenage.

£4 wouldn't even buy you a programme these days

17.05.87 was when Swinton beat New Hunslet in the first ever 2nd division Premiership final, after that I left Old Trafford and drove to Stevenage, and never looked back.

Edited by Bleep1673

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I, as I suspect many others do, can vividly remember that day. I was over in Bingley at my then girlfriends and set off home when Des Lynam said on grandstand ‘and we’re getting reports of a fire at Bradford City’.....it didn’t seem *that* serious at first. By the time I got nearer home I could see the huge clouds of smoke from it and it was obviously very serious. But I didn’t find out quite how serious until later that evening.

I remember it happening at the time but I was a bit too young to realise how bad it was. I watched  the one day in May (BT) documentary on it last year and was amazed at the speed the fire spread at. Basically if you were in the wrong place or made a wrong decision you didn’t stand a chance. I imagine it will be on BT again at this time. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

The training company I used to work for used to use part of the film to highlight how fast fire travels in the "Fire Safety" section. I put in a complaint regarding victims remembrance, and it was removed, and I got an email in apology.