Football

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I remember it happening at the time but I was a bit too young to realise how bad it was. I watched  the one day in May (BT) documentary on it last year and was amazed at the speed the fire spread at. Basically if you were in the wrong place or made a wrong decision you didn’t stand a chance. I imagine it will be on BT again at this time. 

I saw that too. Gabby Logan did a great job, especially as it's also part of her history. 

As a fan of a lower league team, Hillsborough (terrible as it was) was something that could only really happen to big clubs with lots of fans. Bradford were in the 4th Division. It could have happened at my club or anywhere. ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

20 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I saw that too. Gabby Logan did a great job, especially as it's also part of her history. 

As a fan of a lower league team, Hillsborough (terrible as it was) was something that could only really happen to big clubs with lots of fans. Bradford were in the 4th Division. It could have happened at my club or anywhere. ?

In one way it was a relief Hillsborough had happened, just imagine how many more would've died with fencing up?

• Confused 3

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

4OfRK2p.jpg

This is the correct view of Bayern Munich and their 'fans'. Dull lot.

Anyway, owing to going to Bremen on a German exchange during which Werder won the Cup Winners Cup, they are my German team when I bother to care about German teams.

"We" are thus basically already relegated.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We have some live football this weekend to watch on BT Sport.  I don't normally follow the Bundesliga,  only EPL and International football and Champions League,  but I'll give it a watch I think.  Anyone else planning to watch?

Saturday; Dortmund vs Schalke,  Frankfurt vs Monchengladbach, and Leipzig vs Freiburg 

Sunday; Cologne vs Mainz and Union Berlin vs Bayern Munich.

Edited by HawkMan

42 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

We have some live football this weekend to watch on BT Sport.  I don't normally follow the Bundesliga,  only EPL and International football and Champions League,  but I'll give it a watch I think.  Anyone else planning to watch?

Saturday; Dortmund vs Schalke,  Frankfurt vs Moenchengladbach, and Leipzig vs Freiburg 

Yes, especially Saturdays games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, especially Saturdays games.

Is it on BT? Anything on Sky?

Which team do you prefer in Germany?

I liked Bayern in Europe but that was back in the 1970s. 

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Saturday; Dortmund vs Schalke,  Frankfurt vs Monchengladbach, and Leipzig vs Freiburg 

I’ll catch some of them. Werder Bremen are playing on Monday evening and that’s live on the TV as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Is it on BT? Anything on Sky?

Which team do you prefer in Germany?

I liked Bayern in Europe but that was back in the 1970s. 

It’s all on BT I’m afraid.

My team in Germany is Hamburg SV who are playing in the second division currently.

I once got taken to a Hamburg game and really enjoyed the atmosphere when on a student exchange programme in the early 1990s.

I quite like the tempo and the tactics in Germany - there’s quite a lot of innovation and young coaching staffs are given their chance at the highest level.

This year I’m hoping Borussia Monchengladbach can do well as they’re probably the other team I look for.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s all on BT I’m afraid.

My team in Germany is Hamburg SV who are playing in the second division currently.

I once got taken to a Hamburg game and really enjoyed the atmosphere when on a student exchange programme in the early 1990s.

I quite like the tempo and the tactics in Germany - there’s quite a lot of innovation and young coaching staffs are given their chance at the highest level.

This year I’m hoping Borussia Monchengladbach can do well as they’re probably the other team I look for.

Thank you.

I don't have BT unfortunately. I have a friend who has and I used to go there to watch Scottish football. However it's not possible now with the lockdown. 

I was just reading about Hamburg SV this week and their European Cup win in 1983. 

No news on the English league? My team are in the bottom 3 so I am hoping it isn't the final table lol.

• Like 1

League 2 clubs vote to end the season:

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

The final table will be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation has yet to be finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

League Two's season has been brought to an early conclusion following discussions between clubs and the English Football League.

The final table will be decided using a points-per-game method, but promotion and relegation has yet to be finalised.

There are still plans for the play-offs to take place as usual, with two-legged semi-finals and then a final.

Thanks Damien.

I always like Morecambe to stay up and I think they would be safe whichever method is used. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

?

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 2
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Who to support in the Bundesliga. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52632680

Tottenham are Fortuna Dusseldorf !? Bloody cheek.

Hoffenheim suggested for me as a Bournemouth fan. Not a bad choice, I like the Israeli forward Moanes Dabour who played at Red Bull Salzburg. 

I preferred the East German clubs when they were separate, Magdeburg, Dynamo Dresden etc.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:12, HawkMan said:

Who to support in the Bundesliga. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52632680

Tottenham are Fortuna Dusseldorf !? Bloody cheek.

In the spirit of solidarity with one of Hull's fellow Hanseatic cities I would go for Hamburg's Sankt Pauli.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Sort of enjoyed the matches I've seen so far. Best though is the current offering from Bundesliga 2, Gunther Froth vs Cheeseburger,  or whatever.  Good game.

Scottish league finished today. 

My favourite team Livingston finished 5th. I think the last game was against Celtic when we nearly beat them but they equalised in injury time. I am glad I saw it as it maybe a long time until the next. 

• Like 2