Football

No red yellow and black kits. No wonder soccer is a rubbish game.

I'll support Cologne in green and red ... Wales, Keighley and Wibsey RU.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Weirder Bremen vs Bayer Leverkusen up tonight.

One to look for is Kai Havertz who is part of the latest crop of exciting young German players that are breaking through.

Although Bremen look pretty well cut adrift there is a playoff for the third bottom team with the third top team in Bundesliga 2 (unless they’ve changed the system).

Could it lead to an exciting northern derby between second division Hamburg SV and Werder Bremen for the chance to play in the top flight?

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Weirder Bremen vs Bayer Leverkusen up tonight.

One to look for is Kai Havertz who is part of the latest crop of exciting young German players that are breaking through.

Although Bremen look pretty well cut adrift there is a playoff for the third bottom team with the third top team in Bundesliga 2 (unless they’ve changed the system).

Could it lead to an exciting northern derby between second division Hamburg SV and Werder Bremen for the chance to play in the top flight?

I think what they've said is that the bottom two will definitely be relegated and they would like to do the play-off but if any part of the season gets cut then it will be the play-off that goes. I *think* that's what they said anyway.

God, but Werder were pants last night.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Salzgitter, town twined with my town, is close (33miles) to Wolfsberg.

C'mon Die Wölfe! ? 

Plus this seasons home shirt is truly awful! ?

VFL-Wolfsburg-Home-Football-Shirt-19-20.jpg

Well, unless you like it. #MarmiteKit

My nephew supports Wolfsburg. He went over there to see a game a couple of years ago. Not sure why, I think he liked the name wolf and didn't want to support Bayern.

That's some shirt.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I didn’t realise until last night that the Bundesliga catch up plan involved so many games on an almost daily basis, almost all being shown on BT Sport.

This means a lot of double-headers during midweek as there is really no reason not to kickoff now as soon as people are back from work in Germany.

Obviously Bayern-Dortmund is one to look out for, but the top four battle is intriguing to with Leverkusen, Gladbach and the hated RB Leipzig all contending for two places.

Being a bit of a self proclaimed Bundesliga hipster, I would have liked to have sampled the atmosphere of a Berlin derby between Union and Hertha, but the game itself could be good too!

19 hours ago, Niels said:

Scottish league finished today. 

My favourite team Livingston finished 5th. I think the last game was against Celtic when we nearly beat them but they equalised in injury time. I am glad I saw it as it maybe a long time until the next. 

As a Celtic fan I'm happy the bhoys have won the title but it does feel a bit cheapened. Rangers having a game in hand plus an old firm and all that. I'd be particularly livid if I was a hearts fan, being relegated despite only being 4 points from safety seems a wee bit unfair and more like being voted out of the league tbh. Safe to say this nine in a row is worth it to wind up Rangers fans but doesn't hold the same weight for several reasons.

That said if they handed my real footballing love, Leeds united, promotion tomorrow then I'd bite your hand off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

a self proclaimed Bundesliga hipster

Just when I thought I couldn't love German culture more, I go to the Werder Bremen site (English version), click on the shop and the *first thing* they are marketing is bespoke Werder Bremen coffee.

But, yes, I've also got my eye on the Berlin derby.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I prefer the 13/14 version. Love a good diagonal strip since Peru '78.

New-Wolfsburg-Home-Kit-2013-2014.jpg

Plus 15/16 for obvious Rugby League reasons. 

Vfl-Wolfsburg-15-16-Home-Kit (1).png

Their white shirt this season is remarkably plain. It looks like they do a bonkers/non-mad combination each seasaon?

I think Nottingham Outlaws basically had that 2015/16 shirt.

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just when I thought I couldn't love German culture more, I go to the Werder Bremen site (English version), click on the shop and the *first thing* they are marketing is bespoke Werder Bremen coffee.

But, yes, I've also got my eye on the Berlin derby.

Ah yes, did you ever discover the joys of Tipp Kick (the more compact German equivalent of the Subbuteo hobby)?

I got bought one in Cologne once as a little boy and have kept it into adulthood for the pure quality of the pewter men it comes with.

Here’s a picture:

75008AED-7AC8-44F0-82DB-6FA44B8C793E.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

As a Celtic fan I'm happy the bhoys have won the title but it does feel a bit cheapened. Rangers having a game in hand plus an old firm and all that. I'd be particularly livid if I was a hearts fan, being relegated despite only being 4 points from safety seems a wee bit unfair and more like being voted out of the league tbh. Safe to say this nine in a row is worth it to wind up Rangers fans but doesn't hold the same weight for several reasons.

That said if they handed my real footballing love, Leeds united, promotion tomorrow then I'd bite your hand off.

I think Celtic were the best team and would have won it. Though Livi had them rattled lol. That was the night Rangers lost at home to Hamilton and I think it was over then. 

I am not sure who would have gone down. As you say, 4 points is not a lot and the league would of course have split. I saw Hearts beat Hibs 2-0 in Leith and they looked good that day. 

I read the Scotsman today and it said it could be 2021 until there are fans again.

No news yet about Leeds? If they replaced Bournemouth I would be upset. I think we have our injured players back if it restarts so I am hopeful.

I find it difficult at the weekend without the football and racing, and rugby I must admit. I realise now they give such a focus to life,.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

This is, apparently, a concept shirt for next season. Maybe playing behind closed doors will be a "blessing" 

_20200519_113042.JPG

Its like Wigan's shirt from this year!

ALT SHIRT 20 001.jpg

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think Celtic were the best team and would have won it. Though Livi had them rattled lol. That was the night Rangers lost at home to Hamilton and I think it was over then. 

I am not sure who would have gone down. As you say, 4 points is not a lot and the league would of course have split. I saw Hearts beat Hibs 2-0 in Leith and they looked good that day. 

I read the Scotsman today and it said it could be 2021 until there are fans again.

No news yet about Leeds? If they replaced Bournemouth I would be upset. I think we have our injured players back if it restarts so I am hopeful.

I find it difficult at the weekend without the football and racing, and rugby I must admit. I realise now they give such a focus to life,.

Yeah I mean I still think Celtic would have won, Rangers have gone off the boil after christmas, but it still doesn't feel great I guess.

I agree the bottom is really the controversial bit of this. Naturally with it being Rangers losing the chance to catch Celtic AND Hearts going down there's a sectarian nature to many of the complaints, particularly on social media.

For Leeds I think we're in a scenario now where we're going up. The Premier League are not going to deny promotion and the same bottom six clubs just keep throwing a new idea into the pot every day in an attempt to have relegation canned. Relegation and promotion aren't mutually exclusive I suppose but its clear the null and void option is not happening now I don't believe.

Either the League will be finished as is, PPG or we find a way to play on. Either of those scenarios make it almost certain Leeds will go up automatically. 

As with all the scenarios, without playing out the season, its the relegation movements which are the most difficult. Followed by playoff places.

I am missing sport so much!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I mean I still think Celtic would have won, Rangers have gone off the boil after christmas, but it still doesn't feel great I guess.

I agree the bottom is really the controversial bit of this. Naturally with it being Rangers losing the chance to catch Celtic AND Hearts going down there's a sectarian nature to many of the complaints, particularly on social media.

For Leeds I think we're in a scenario now where we're going up. The Premier League are not going to deny promotion and the same bottom six clubs just keep throwing a new idea into the pot every day in an attempt to have relegation canned. Relegation and promotion aren't mutually exclusive I suppose but its clear the null and void option is not happening now I don't believe.

Either the League will be finished as is, PPG or we find a way to play on. Either of those scenarios make it almost certain Leeds will go up automatically. 

As with all the scenarios, without playing out the season, its the relegation movements which are the most difficult. Followed by playoff places.

Yes, I think Hearts have been thoroughly screwed by this. I am very biased though as one of my most joyful experiences was watching Hearts beat Hibs 1-0 in a particularly fraught Edinburgh derby and I always enjoyed my visits to Tyncastle back in the dim and distant. I've no problem with deciding titles but pushing through relegation just doesn't sit right.

The issue with Leeds, if it becomes an issue, will be that the Football League and Premier League are distinct entities. They don't have to agree to anything. That said, the money Leeds in the Premier League will bring instead of - sorry @Niels - Bournemouth may make them find a way of coming to an arrangement. I can't see them going ahead with an irregular number of clubs.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I hadn't thought about the sectarian aspect of this, especially in Edinburgh. I hear Hibs now referred as the team of Leith. They have a more, I don't know what to call it, intellectually left leaning support also. Of course they originated as the Irish team in Edinburgh. The history of Hibs was actually given a feature in an episode of the antiques road show or a subsidiary of that programme.

There was a good article in the Scotsman last week about the 1969 European cup final which I watched on tv as a boy. You were probably too young to recall?

Yay - more Bundesliga!  Ich bin ein Berliner!   As JFK famously told everyone he was an iced bun during a Cold War crisis.

Tonight 7.30pm:

Hertha Berlin vs Union Berlin: the hipster’s choice and many people’s relegation candidates attempt to continue their good season at Hertha.  My prediction: 1-1

Saturday 2.30pm:

There’s a whole raft of games to choose from on BT at 2.30pm, but I think the visit of Leverkusen to Gladbach is the pick as both teams are littered with players that many German football experts are excited about including goal machine and silky trickster Kai Havertz.  My prediction is 2-2.

Tuesday 5.30pm:

Dortmund vs Bayern

Ah yes, ‘der Klassiker’ and a game that has been played through the ages in Tipp Kick starter sets throughout Deutschland.  Bayern will start as favourites and Dortmund will need to be at full strength here for this possible title decider.  Be interesting to see how strong both go at the weekend ahead of this game.  My prediction is 2-1 to Bayern.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 13:36, gingerjon said:

Yes, I think Hearts have been thoroughly screwed by this. I am very biased though as one of my most joyful experiences was watching Hearts beat Hibs 1-0 in a particularly fraught Edinburgh derby and I always enjoyed my visits to Tyncastle back in the dim and distant. I've no problem with deciding titles but pushing through relegation just doesn't sit right.

The issue with Leeds, if it becomes an issue, will be that the Football League and Premier League are distinct entities. They don't have to agree to anything. That said, the money Leeds in the Premier League will bring instead of - sorry @Niels - Bournemouth may make them find a way of coming to an arrangement. I can't see them going ahead with an irregular number of clubs.

Yeah like I said I'd be livid if I were a Hearts fan. The prospect of lawsuits, bullying and bribing accusations is something we really need to avoid in England. 

The recent statement from the Football League provides a lot of hope for Leeds I think. Its a tight one but I can see the League getting the 51% of clubs voting to end the season now sending Leeds and WBA up automatically and the current 4 teams in the playoffs with Barnsley, Luton and Charlton down. That said Leeds have repeatedly before and since the statement had a commitment to playing on to finish the season and I wouldn't feel comfortable with sending Charlton down in 22nd place when 1 win could rocket them to 19th, 3 places from safety.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 13:37, Niels said:

I hadn't thought about the sectarian aspect of this, especially in Edinburgh. I hear Hibs now referred as the team of Leith. They have a more, I don't know what to call it, intellectually left leaning support also. Of course they originated as the Irish team in Edinburgh. The history of Hibs was actually given a feature in an episode of the antiques road show or a subsidiary of that programme.

There was a good article in the Scotsman last week about the 1969 European cup final which I watched on tv as a boy. You were probably too young to recall?

Not even a twinkle in my 6 year old father's eye I'm afraid!

I do however have a great uncle who played for Hibs and Celtic in the 1920s so I can certainly vouch for an historic affinity between the teams; alongside a shared animosity for Hearts and Rangers.

The Facebook comments sections certainly have their views on this and the sectarian aspect is only heightened by the claims by Rangers of impropriety by the Scottish Premiership, accusations of bullying and bribery of Scottish clubs, the fact that Celtic's current 9 in a row has been completed without opposition effectively for the most part, the injustice felt by Rangers fans because of everything surrounding it and that Hearts are the team that has gone down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not even a twinkle in my 6 year old father's eye I'm afraid!

I do however have a great uncle who played for Hibs and Celtic in the 1920s so I can certainly vouch for an historic affinity between the teams; alongside a shared animosity for Hearts and Rangers.

The Facebook comments sections certainly have their views on this and the sectarian aspect is only heightened by the claims by Rangers of impropriety by the Scottish Premiership, accusations of bullying and bribery of Scottish clubs, the fact that Celtic's current 9 in a row has been completed without opposition effectively for the most part, the injustice felt by Rangers fans because of everything surrounding it and that Hearts are the team that has gone down.

If Rangers dont like what is happening in the SPL, there is a vacancy in EFL1 left by Bury.