Football

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If Rangers dont like what is happening in the SPL, there is a vacancy in EFL1 left by Bury.

That's missing the point though isn't it (though I think the time to merge would have been at the dawn of the Premier League).

With a game in hand, plus 2 games against their bitterest and closest rivals Celtic, I don't blame them for feeling aggrieved.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do however have a great uncle who played for Hibs and Celtic in the 1920s so I can certainly vouch for an historic affinity between the teams; alongside a shared animosity for Hearts and Rangers.

"Hibs fans are just Celtic fans who couldn't afford a train ticket"

I first heard that one from a Celtic fan.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

"Hibs fans are just Celtic fans who couldn't afford a train ticket"

I first heard that one from a Celtic fan.

I've heard similar, though ironically being in Edinburgh they probably do have the money and don't want to bother with Glasgow lol

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 11:29, Wiltshire Rhino said:

This is, apparently, a concept shirt for next season. Maybe playing behind closed doors will be a "blessing" 

_20200519_113042.JPG

It's similar in colours, blue and green, to my Bodrumspor shirt. I've tried to attach a photo if anyone wants to see.

20200522_130808.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

That's missing the point though isn't it (though I think the time to merge would have been at the dawn of the Premier League).

With a game in hand, plus 2 games against their bitterest and closest rivals Celtic, I don't blame them for feeling aggrieved.

They have come from a long way since being relegated to Scots div3 for cheating, I think they should remember that. Also realise they are a guilty party. I'm not a fan of either/any Glasgow club, but when the manure starts getting thrown, some will stick.

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

They have come from a long way since being relegated to Scots div3 for cheating, I think they should remember that. Also realise they are a guilty party. I'm not a fan of either/any Glasgow club, but when the manure starts getting thrown, some will stick.

What???? You're not a fan of the jags???

Begone I say!!??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

They weren't relegated for cheating, they were relegated for accounting problems leading to their insolvency which have recently emerged were dubious at best and way off the mark at worst.

This article shows how particularly HMRC caused problems with them initially pushing for nearly £100million and subsequently dropping that to 20 now. Cheating or not through the EBT scheme, such a monumental ballsup on behalf of HMRC is not in any way fair. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-50727197

I'm saying this as a Celtic fan. What does the administration of 1 club 8 years ago have to do with the current situation now?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

What???? You're not a fan of the jags???

Begone I say!!??

Partick had bought some good players in the transfer window. Particularly Graham from Ross County. They have a good manager, I think it is possible they could have clicked and gone on a run. However as shown by Falkirk last year, being a large team in the Championship doesn't guarantee safety. 

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They weren't relegated for cheating, they were relegated for accounting problems leading to their insolvency which have recently emerged were dubious at best and way off the mark at worst.

Financial cheating is still cheating, as Manchester City have discovered.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:50, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ah yes, did you ever discover the joys of Tipp Kick (the more compact German equivalent of the Subbuteo hobby)?

I got bought one in Cologne once as a little boy and have kept it into adulthood for the pure quality of the pewter men it comes with.

Here’s a picture:

75008AED-7AC8-44F0-82DB-6FA44B8C793E.jpeg

I think I must have seen it. I was a very keen subbuteo player. 

I am trying to remember if I had any German teams. I definitely had Magdeburg, white with a blue vertical stripe, as I liked them and  they were a top side in Europe.

Bayern had a strip similar to Liverpool I think? I can't remember if it was the same strip number though? 

It's good you kept it. I wish I'd have kept my teams for nostalgia. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think I must have seen it. I was a very keen subbuteo player. 

I am trying to remember if I had any German teams. I definitely had Magdeburg, white with a blue vertical stripe, as I liked them and  they were a top side in Europe.

Bayern had a strip similar to Liverpool I think? I can't remember if it was the same strip number though? 

It's good you kept it. I wish I'd have kept my teams for nostalgia. 

Subbuteo was a great thing and I used to collect the teams avidly as a boy when I had the opportunity.  I was probably spoilt a bit by my subbuteo loving father looking back as I doubt they were cheap.

I loved the way it would suggest alternatives for strips so I remember “Norwich City/Fortuna Sittard” on one box and “Birmingham City/Rangers” on another.  I also remember how painful they  were to stand on!

Pride of place in my collection was “Melchester Rovers” that we sent off for in a Roy of the Rovers magazine.  It even had a single blonde haired player for Roy Race.  Loved it, but could never get him to score!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Subbuteo was a great thing and I used to collect the teams avidly as a boy when I had the opportunity.  I was probably spoilt a bit by my subbuteo loving father looking back as I doubt they were cheap.

Pride of place was my Barrow/Swinton kit, I painted another vee to make it a Swinton Kit. Humbrol/Airfix paint.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 2

I bought a good book on the Kindle, 99p.today original price £24.99.

There are some interesting global articles including about Angola, Uganda, Turkey, Bolivia. 

51in1NthxnL._SY200_.jpg

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

I'm so bored I'm following the Bundesliga. Here's a handy chart to pick your team.

Mine is Mainz 05 - they got a creditable draw away at Koln last week but remain just above the relegation places, which is where my team are, although many leagues lower in the English pyramid.

This week "we" have RB Leipzig at home. They are despised in German football as they are owned by Red Bull who are breaking the spirit of the regulations regarding ownership.

Anyway, whose yours? You can use an RL team as your guide as there are parallels.

No photo description available.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

La Liga back on June 8th.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

I'm so bored I'm following the Bundesliga. Here's a handy chart to pick your team.

Mine is Mainz 05 - they got a creditable draw away at Koln last week but remain just above the relegation places, which is where my team are, although many leagues lower in the English pyramid.

This week "we" have RB Leipzig at home. They are despised in German football as they are owned by Red Bull who are breaking the spirit of the regulations regarding ownership.

Anyway, whose yours? You can use an RL team as your guide as there are parallels.

No photo description available.

Werder Bremen because I went on a German exchange to Bremen in the 90s and whilst I was there Werder won the Cup Winner’s Cup.

Last week, I endured a 4-0 loss but today against Freiburg “we” came good and edged a game where “they” threw everything at us 1-0. I must be getting into it because on 90 minutes with Freiburg hurling everything at the Werder goal I was heard to yell, “Just ****ing launch it, you useless ****s.”

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I also watch out for Darmstadt 98, who are our twin town and play in the same colours. A 4-0 win today against St Pauli in Bundesliga 2. 

Dire warnings again for the EFL clubs today.

Is it time for the whole sport to reset itself? Clubs have been living beyond their means for years and have shown no backbone in controlling spending. Especially in the Chanpionship, where the Golden Carrot of the Premier League has drawn them into addiction to success.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Dire warnings again for the EFL clubs today.

Is it time for the whole sport to reset itself? Clubs have been living beyond their means for years and have shown no backbone in controlling spending. Especially in the Chanpionship, where the Golden Carrot of the Premier League has drawn them into addiction to success.

When you say reset what do you mean exactly?

While there is still a tremendous reward for being a top flight club nothing will change the urge to overstretch trying to reach it.

Can’t see Premier League boards/club owners suddenly taking a collective course of action that will impoverish themselves either.

It does seem rather shocking that playing for a team that doesn't want the league to restart and therefore relegation to be instigated (Dynamo Dresden, Brighton, Bournemouth, Hull City) does seem to be connected to an increased risk of contracting Coronavirus...

Hopefully this is just a brief correlation and doesn't end up shutting down the restart.