Football

21 hours ago, tim2 said:

I'm so bored I'm following the Bundesliga. Here's a handy chart to pick your team.

Mine is Mainz 05 - they got a creditable draw away at Koln last week but remain just above the relegation places, which is where my team are, although many leagues lower in the English pyramid.

This week "we" have RB Leipzig at home. They are despised in German football as they are owned by Red Bull who are breaking the spirit of the regulations regarding ownership.

Anyway, whose yours? You can use an RL team as your guide as there are parallels.

No photo description available.

Oh, that's not fair. I worked for 30 years in Anaesthetic Rooms, & ended up with Bayer Levecusen.

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

When you say reset what do you mean exactly?

While there is still a tremendous reward for being a top flight club nothing will change the urge to overstretch trying to reach it.

Can’t see Premier League boards/club owners suddenly taking a collective course of action that will impoverish themselves either.

I don't know, but many clubs were teetering on the edge of viability before this.

The money is really at the top, and as you say, they aren't going to give it up. So it's either a grown up conversation about the structure and financial control below the Premier League, or let market forces create more Bury and Boltons.

Edited by tim2
Tyops

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Bayer produced a lot of the gasses for the death camps, then safe anaesthetics.

They are still the biggest producer of Propofol. 

They still hold the world patent for aspirin, 

So if you get a headache, allow the Nazis, who tested it on slave labour, a nod. When it gets better, of course.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

They still hold the world patent for aspirin, 

So if you get a headache, allow the Nazis, who tested it on slave labour, a nod. When it gets better, of course.

I thought the USA stole the property rights of aspirin at the end of WW2, because they could.

Not sure aspirin in recommended for headaches anymore, too much risk of stomach bleeds.

Godwin's Law proven again. Anyway, Mainz 05 lived up to their name by losing 0-5 at home to RB Leipzig. RB definitely stands for RasenBall (Lawn Ball) not Red Bull. Definitely. And the 17 shareholders are absolutely RB fans. Anyway, enough DB politics.

Back to the EFL, from the BBC:

The English football pyramid will be destroyed - unless the game starts to plan for the financial impact of Covid-19 beyond the 2019-20 season, says Phil Hodgkinson, the owner of Championship club Huddersfield.

Hodgkinson thinks as many as "50 or 60" clubs could go out of business. He is also looking at a "worst-case scenario" of no fans allowed in stadiums for the 2020-21 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that," he told BBC Sport.

"If we don't come to an agreement there will be no football pyramid. There are clubs I know of that are only still trading because they are deferring wages and [tax] and other creditors. They will need paying at some point."

• Sad 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

Godwin's Law proven again. Anyway, Mainz 05 lived up to their name by losing 0-5 at home to RB Leipzig. RB definitely stands for RasenBall (Lawn Ball) not Red Bull. Definitely. And the 17 shareholders are absolutely RB fans. Anyway, enough DB politics.

Back to the EFL, from the BBC:

The English football pyramid will be destroyed - unless the game starts to plan for the financial impact of Covid-19 beyond the 2019-20 season, says Phil Hodgkinson, the owner of Championship club Huddersfield.

Hodgkinson thinks as many as "50 or 60" clubs could go out of business. He is also looking at a "worst-case scenario" of no fans allowed in stadiums for the 2020-21 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that," he told BBC Sport.

"If we don't come to an agreement there will be no football pyramid. There are clubs I know of that are only still trading because they are deferring wages and [tax] and other creditors. They will need paying at some point."

It’s terrible to think so much sporting heritage and sporting pride in communities could be ripped out in the space of a year.

30 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Reminder - tonight Dortmund vs Bayern Munich at 5, should be a cracker.

Should be a good test of Dortmund’s new found steel in defence.

There’s also Harland who looks a unit with fierce shot that he’s not afraid to take first time.

Thomas Muller appears to be having a bit of an Indian Summer as well for Bayern.

The title goes to Bayern again then.

Meanwhile, I’m now watching Werder and hoping “we” hang on for 0-0.

Also, interesting to note, the stats are apparently pointing to a significant increase in the amount of time the ball is in play in games when there is no crowd.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Today is the 50th anniversary of Swindon Town winning the Anglo-Italian Cup. 

After beating Juventus 4-0 at the County Ground, Town then lost 2-1 at to Napoli. In the away games Town won 1-0 in both Turin and Naples, putting them into the Final away to Napoli.

Town won 3-0 with the game abandoned on 79mins when the Napoli fans rioted.

Swindon Town remain the ONLY British football team to have beaten Napoli TWICE in Naples. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 26/05/2020 at 19:43, gingerjon said:

The title goes to Bayern again then.

Meanwhile, I’m now watching Werder and hoping “we” hang on for 0-0.

Also, interesting to note, the stats are apparently pointing to a significant increase in the amount of time the ball is in play in games when there is no crowd.

Also, home advantage has disappeared overnight. It's a small sample, but interesting.

The Mainz boys bounced back from a 0-5 thumping to get an away draw at Union Berlin. Fortuna won and so closed the gap so relegation is still a possibility. Relegation fights are fun!

6 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Also, home advantage has disappeared overnight. It's a small sample, but interesting.

The Mainz boys bounced back from a 0-5 thumping to get an away draw at Union Berlin. Fortuna won and so closed the gap so relegation is still a possibility. Relegation fights are fun!

Those crazy Germans.

BBC Alba - channel 169, Sky fans - will be showing the women's Bundesliga when it returns on Sunday, should you be needing to start filling up sporting afternoons still.

"My" Werder Bremen are in the second division in that one - with the good news that the league has been cancelled but results retained so 'we' are Champions and will be in the top division next year. I am retrospectively celebrating after my lifelong supporting investment of a couple of weeks has been repaid so well.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Disaster for the Mainz boys yesterday. A 1-0 defeat at home. Relegation is a real possibility, although Duesseldorf got whacked 5-0 by champions elect Bayern Muenchen.

Meanwhile, here's a weird story of obsession...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52592649

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Really enjoyed Cologne 2-4 RB Leipzig the other night.

It’s a bit of a pity Bayern are starting to put some distance between themselves and Dortmund.

As for the bottom, the Werder Bremen corpse is starting to twitch and they’ve been the better team tonight against Frankfurt.

Utterly jinxed Bremen here as they fell apart second half and lost 2-0 at home.

Primeira Liga returned yesterday and Porto blew their chance to go 4pts clear of Benfica. The Eagles should go 2pts clear tonight. 

Sporting have to play both title contenders in the final 3 weeks so it should be interesting. 

I do like Portuguese football. 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Primeira Liga returned yesterday and Porto blew their chance to go 4pts clear of Benfica. The Eagles should go 2pts clear tonight. 

Sporting have to play both title contenders in the final 3 weeks so it should be interesting. 

It’s all on Freesports isn’t it 

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I like it also. I don't really have a specific team as I like them all to do well in Europe.

The national team are fantastic to watch too.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s all on Freesports isn’t it 

I think so but I watch it on Sport TV (Portuguese channel) 

25 minutes ago, Niels said:

I like it also. I don't really have a specific team as I like them all to do well in Europe.

The national team are fantastic to watch too.

Sporting CP are "my" team as I saw them play them play at the José Alvalade Stadium. I was travelling to Ericeira and the stadium is right by the Campo Grande bus station. I put my stuff in a left luggage place, went to watch Sporting beat Rio Ave and then caught a later bus to the "surf capital" of Europe. ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I think so but I watch it on Sport TV (Portuguese channel) 

Sporting CP are "my" team as I saw them play them play at the José Alvalade Stadium. I was travelling to Ericeira and the stadium is right by the Campo Grande bus station. I put my stuff in a left luggage place, went to watch Sporting beat Rio Ave and then caught a later bus to the "surf capital" of Europe. ?

Nice one.

If you are interested, here are the live listings for Freesports HD Portuguese football (and other competitions).

https://www.live-footballontv.com

• Like 2