Football

THE POWER OF FOOTBALL 

My, wannabe writer, son wrote a poem about lockdown in the hope it would be used as part of the BBC's Upload Festival next weekend. This morning he got an email today saying that our local radio station would be playing his poem this evening. He informed family and friends to tune in. 

He then had to tell them that his poem will now be broadcast on Thursday due to a 2hr radio show to celebrate Swindon Town becoming Champions. 

The all consuming power of football ?

PS I'm a very proud father anyway 

• Like 3
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

For those interested in romantic underdog stories of Cup giantkillings there’s the possibility of a big one in Germany tonight on BT.

Saarbrucken, who play in a regional Liga below Bundesliga 3, have a semi final against top flight Bayer Leverkusen in the German Cup (DFB Pokal).

It will be Saarbrucken’s first game in 3 months and they’ve had an incredible run already, dumping out Bundesliga sides Fortuna Düsseldorf and Cologne in previous rounds.

Sorry to cramp Saarbrucken's style, but aren't Cologne in Bundesliga 2?

I just noticed they aren't, they're in League 3.

Edited by Mister Ting
correction

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

6 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

1 FC Koln are in the Bundeslgia. The other Cologne side are in 3 Liga and didn't enter the Cup.

Either way, Saarbrucken, as expected, lost to Leverkusen.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

No, Cologne are in the Bundesliga this year.

You’re confusing that team with Viktoria Cologne.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

59 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

1 FC Koln are in the Bundeslgia. The other Cologne side are in 3 Liga and didn't enter the Cup.

Either way, Saarbrucken, as expected, lost to Leverkusen.

Yes, I watched it and they succumbed to two early goals and showed too much respect to Leverkusen in the first half in my opinion.

In the second half they gave it more of a go, before finally being undone by a nice move and a cool finish to make it 3-0.

Tonight’s semi final is Bayern Munich vs Eintracht Frankfurt.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Benfica seem to be doing their best to not win the Primeira Liga. ?

_20200610_213621.JPG

Over to Porto... 

S.L Benfica if you dont mind ? ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Niels 

BT Sport showing Turkey’s Super Liga live until the end of the season (three games a week).

Quite an interesting title race by all accounts this year with a chance of the league being won by someone outside the big three (Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Galatasaray).

Trabzonspur and Istanbul Basaksehir currently tied at the top both three points clear of Galatasaray.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

@Niels 

BT Sport showing Turkey’s Super Liga live until the end of the season (three games a week).

Quite an interesting title race by all accounts this year with a chance of the league being won by someone outside the big three (Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Galatasaray).

Trabzonspur and Istanbul Basaksehir currently tied at the top both three points clear of Galatasaray.

Thank you I really appreciate this. I hadn't realised it was starting again so you have been a great help. 

The last time it was won by a team outside of the big 3 was Bursaspor, who I like in 2010. I also have a Trabzonspor shirt as I like them also. 

Istanbul Basaksehir nearly won last year but choked at the end. 

My family are Fenerbache fans.

Do you have a favourite team?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thank you I really appreciate this. I hadn't realised it was starting again so you have been a great help. 

The last time it was won by a team outside of the big 3 was Bursaspor, who I like in 2010. I also have a Trabzonspor shirt as I like them also. 

Istanbul Basaksehir nearly won last year but choked at the end. 

My family are Fenerbache fans.

Do you have a favourite team?

Thanks again.

No worries!

I used to have a Galatasaray Subbuteo team as I liked the colours in their kit.

But I’ve not got a favourite team in Turkey as such.

If I enjoy watching the matches then maybe I’ll adopt one - until then I’m hoping that an underdog can win the league!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No worries!

I used to have a Galatasaray Subbuteo team as I liked the colours in their kit.

But I’ve not got a favourite team in Turkey as such.

If I enjoy watching the matches then maybe I’ll adopt one - until then I’m hoping that an underdog can win the league!

That's interesting. I haven't had a particularly adventurous life but a highlight was watching a champions league quarter final, Galatasaray v Real Madrid in Turkey. In a hotel cinema though not at the ground. ?

I like all the Turkish teams to do well in Europe. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

3-1 with ten men.

I only caught part of it, but they said in commentary that they’d battled hard.

Will look forward to the next one.

Thanks for telling me. I am pleased they won. Yes I think the next one is tomorrow. 

There are also the German games?

https://www.live-footballontv.com/live-german-football-on-tv.html

A lot of games again tomorrow.

I imagine @gingerjon will be interested in the result of Paderbon vs Werder Bremen at 2.30pm which is crucial in the relegation battle.

Im looking forward to Bayern Munich vs Gladbach as the league leaders are missing Lewandowski and Muller - could even things up somewhat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I imagine @gingerjon will be interested in the result of Paderbon vs Werder Bremen at 2.30pm which is crucial in the relegation battle.

Im looking forward to Bayern Munich vs Gladbach as the league leaders are missing Lewandowski and Muller - could even things up somewhat.

I don't know if you remember but in the 70s Moenchengladbach were the team of the Bohemians, Intelligensia. A flair team. Gunter Netzer was the Talisman. 

Bayern were more of the Establishment team, though Paul Breitner was very Intelligent and outspoken. They were very methodical.

I am going back over 40 years now so everything has probably changed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Niels said:

I don't know if you remember but in the 70s Moenchengladbach were the team of the Bohemians, Intelligensia. A flair team. Gunter Netzer was the Talisman. 

Bayern were more of the Establishment team, though Paul Breitner was very Intelligent and outspoken. They were very methodical.

I am going back over 40 years now so everything has probably changed. 

It was just before my time, but I have read about German football (a book called ‘Tor!’) and I think your description is correct.

I’d like to think I would have preferred Gladbach to Bayern as it reminds me of the Cruyff/Beckenbauer, Holland/West Germany and Ajax/Bayern differences.

Although I never saw him play, I’m a big admirer of Cruyff’s influence on football.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I will be wincing through Werder v Paderborn later.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Because I put all the sport in my calendar at the start of the year I keep getting notifications of what should be on .... the Euros yesterday with Italy v Turkey and three games today . Just hits home what you’re missing . Who could have ever thunk ?

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Because I put all the sport in my calendar at the start of the year I keep getting notifications of what should be on .... the Euros yesterday with Italy v Turkey and three games today . Just hits home what you’re missing . Who could have ever thunk ?

I think Turkey would have pulled off an upset these days against Italy.

My pools panel verdict:

Turkey 2-1 Italy FT

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think Turkey would have pulled off an upset these days against Italy.

My pools panel verdict:

Turkey 2-1 Italy FT

I’m just making a quick note of this for when’s it played next year ... not that I’ll mention it if you’re wrong . Me ? Would I ...

• Haha 1