Football

53 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you’re doing Liverpool out of some credit there.

Manchester City are still favourites to win the Champions League, but they’ve been blown out of the water by Liverpool’s relentless attitude this year.

But I do recognise for Evertonians this is a terrible, terrible day ?

For me it goes back to last year the performance by both clubs last season was unbelievable. Usually on a title run in teams trip up multiple times due to the pressure. City and Liverpool just kept winning and winning I think that has burnt City out a bit and that along with not replacing Kompany has led to the points gap. The same thing then had the effect of making Liverpool even more desperate to go one better. This tied into the confidence boost and belief a champions league win gave the players has proved to be the difference. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I knew that would come !!  Teensy bit  unfair . All I said was right . I take nothing away from Liverpool , I said that - I give them credit ?. Man City may not have won anyway but it’s indisputable  they fell away this year to make the margin so big . They’ve underachieved on the levels theyve been at in the Prem . They got 198 points in two seasons . That’s all . Anyway enjoy it , Carlo gets his top targets this summer and the whole football landscape changes ... 

Liverpool have destroyed the top flight this season and there was little City could have done about it to be fair.  Maybe they could have closed the gap, but they couldn’t stop Liverpool beating the rest of the league.

In terms of single season dominance, you’re looking at a team that could statistically surpass all previous dominant teams of the Premier League era or before.  It’s some achievement really.

I think though Klopp will choose to blood youngsters though after the City game rather than chase history too hard.

I wonder if Warrington fans will be seeing this as an omen?

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you’re doing Liverpool out of some credit there.

Manchester City are still favourites to win the Champions League, but they’ve been blown out of the water by Liverpool’s relentless attitude this year.

But I do recognise for Evertonians this is a terrible, terrible day ?

Oh dear. You do crave the adulation of the whole world, don't you?

Nobody took anything away from Liverpool there. They simply pointed out that City have lost their edge. Not replacing Kompany has cost us defensively, but we also lost key players in Leroy Sane (all season) and Aymeric Laporte (months out).

To give some perspective, two seasons ago, City raised the bar beyond everyone's reach. Last season, Liverpool worked hard to match us and came up just short with the rest trailing badly. This season, Liverpool have maintained their momentum and are probably better than last season, but City have certainly taken a step back for the reasons above.

As for the future, I don't rate City as favourites for the Champions League. I think Real could well dump us out at the Etihad (no Aguerro) and City have a long history of tripping over their own feet. Next season I expect Liverpool to win the title, though not by such a margin, and I expect City to struggle as the UEFA ban means we won't be able to sign the talent we need to replace an ageing squad.

Anyway, forgive me for not kissing the feet of Liverpool FC, but "Well done, Jurgen." Now perhaps you'd like to reconsider your sarcastic comments about the "guard of honour in Manchester"? I doubt it will be as bad as the welcome you lot gave our team bus.

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

48 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Oh dear. You do crave the adulation of the whole world, don't you?

Nobody took anything away from Liverpool there. They simply pointed out that City have lost their edge. Not replacing Kompany has cost us defensively, but we also lost key players in Leroy Sane (all season) and Aymeric Laporte (months out).

To give some perspective, two seasons ago, City raised the bar beyond everyone's reach. Last season, Liverpool worked hard to match us and came up just short with the rest trailing badly. This season, Liverpool have maintained their momentum and are probably better than last season, but City have certainly taken a step back for the reasons above.

As for the future, I don't rate City as favourites for the Champions League. I think Real could well dump us out at the Etihad (no Aguerro) and City have a long history of tripping over their own feet. Next season I expect Liverpool to win the title, though not by such a margin, and I expect City to struggle as the UEFA ban means we won't be able to sign the talent we need to replace an ageing squad.

Anyway, forgive me for not kissing the feet of Liverpool FC, but "Well done, Jurgen." Now perhaps you'd like to reconsider your sarcastic comments about the "guard of honour in Manchester"? I doubt it will be as bad as the welcome you lot gave our team bus.

Taking our title victory well, I see.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Taking our title victory well, I see.

Enjoy!

Should go to Specsavers!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Don’t look back in anger.

I'm not looking back in anger. I'm looking back at your sarcastic comments about a "guard of honour in Manchester" and wondering what the hell brought them on.

IIRC, it was you who almost pleaded for me to praise LFC last year, which I did. I don't remember gloating about our domestic grand slam last year, so I don't understand your attitude. You may not mean it, but you come across as rather ungracious.

Enjoy your victory.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Don’t know if I’ve missed this but are the champions league and UEFA cup scrapped?

Resuming start of August in specific locations in Germany and Portugal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The coolest man to ever collect a football trophy ?

_20200627_102108.JPG

Hope he's back at Swindon for next season. 

‘ I’ve won a trophy but I’m not that fussed ... no big thing’  . I couldn’t look cool in a fridge 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Happy for you due to your "life long" support of the River Islanders. ?

Thirty days of hurt / Never stopped me dreaming

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

A few more days of potential hurt with the relegation/promotion playoff to come. 

Aye. Either Heidenheim or Hamburg. I'm sure either would be difficult but Werder v Hamburg for the right to play in the Bundesliga does sound tasty.

• Like 1

EVERYONE FEARS THE WERDER

Thirty minutes in and both Hamburg and Heidenheim are 2-0 down.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hamburg now 4-1 down at home.

Hi-de-Hi-denheim await.

Far be it from me to arch my eyebrows and mention betting syndicates ...

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Far be it from me to arch my eyebrows and mention betting syndicates ...

Oooof.

I’ve watched a little on B365 and they’ve been caught out on the break after pushing too hard.

Haven't been all that impressed by Hamburg since their return so I’m not too shocked, but a little saddened that a playoff northern derby has been taken away.

Werder on the other hand have grabbed the chance to haul themselves out of the mire so far.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Oooof.

I’ve watched a little on B365 and they’ve been caught out on the break after pushing too hard.

Haven't been all that impressed by Hamburg since their return so I’m not too shocked, but a little saddened that a playoff northern derby has been taken away.

Werder on the other hand have grabbed the chance to haul themselves out of the mire so far.

Did you watch any of the FA Cup games? The top teams all won, all away from home too.

Do you think the absence of home crowds made any difference?