Football

14 minutes ago, Niels said:

Did you watch any of the FA Cup games? The top teams all won, all away from home too.

Do you think the absence of home crowds made any difference?

I think it can’t help, particularly in the case of Sheffield Utd, whose fans have created atmospheres that can only help their team and pressurise officials.

Must be kept in mind though that away fans often create more noise and their ticket allocation is usually larger in the FA Cup - they’re missing too.

But I think I agree that home advantage has generally been eroded and so games are more likely to be decided by tactics and talent than outside factors.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Niels said:

Did you watch any of the FA Cup games? The top teams all won, all away from home too.

Do you think the absence of home crowds made any difference?

No it's just getting that way now , complete boredom

• Like 1

Northampton 4 Exeter 0

Well done Northampton,  thoroughly deserved. Well done EFL for playing at Wembley.  The players deserved their day out despite the eerie atmosphere of the national stadium. 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So , what happens now with Leicester City Football team ? 

Everybody into a hotel for quarantine ?

All that’s happening in Leicester as far as I can tell is restrictions won’t be lifted on 4th July. I haven’t seen anywhere saying they will be going back to a stricter lockdown. 

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

All that’s happening in Leicester as far as I can tell is restrictions won’t be lifted on 4th July. I haven’t seen anywhere saying they will be going back to a stricter lockdown. 

After checking it looks like restrictions are being brought back for schools and non essential shops. So my guess is Leicester City squad will move out of the area and possibly play games away from home. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

After checking it looks like restrictions are being brought back for schools and non essential shops. So my guess is Leicester City squad will move out of the area and possibly play games away from home. 

The short answer is they don't know what will happen to Leicester City( https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12017748/leicester-city-to-seek-clarity-over-governments-local-lockdown).

The longer answer is: but it doesn't look like it will stop them playing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The short answer is they don't know what will happen to Leicester City( https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12017748/leicester-city-to-seek-clarity-over-governments-local-lockdown).

The longer answer is: but it doesn't look like it will stop them playing.

Rogers was on radio yesterday saying they have contingency plans if it happened. Which I assume would involve the players going into a hotel outside the city. 

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Rogers was on radio yesterday saying they have contingency plans if it happened. Which I assume would involve the players going into a hotel outside the city. 

Their official training ground isn’t in Leicester which probably helps too

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Wigan Athletic in administration. Net bottom of the league now - 6 games to  catch up 4 points so may not go down.

Might not be the last.

• Sad 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Wigan Athletic in administration. Net bottom of the league now - 6 games to  catch up 4 points so may not go down.

Might not be the last.

They were getting some decent results to . Sad

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Might not be the last.

They were only sold earlier this year so something's a bit fishy about this. Either the people it was sold to don't have the money they claimed or their money making ideas didn't have much to do with the reality of football.

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know , it seems football  ownership is often an opaque tangled web of murkiness , and you wonder sometimes about the authorities who give them the ok. 

Has anyone ever failed the "fit and proper person or company" test?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

12 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Has anyone ever failed the "fit and proper person or company" test?

I think it was the Bury owner - you know, the one whose period in charge ended with no club existing - who didn't even submit to it.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They were only sold earlier this year so something's a bit fishy about this. Either the people it was sold to don't have the money they claimed or their money making ideas didn't have much to do with the reality of football.

4 weeks since the last takeover, stinks.

Thankfully the assets are all still in place.

• Thanks 1

Blimey! It's not long since they beat City in an FA Cup final. What the hell has gone so wrong?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Relegation for Wigan isn't certain. They're 8 points above third from bottom now  , if they end 13 points above third bottom the 12 pts deduction won't relegate them.  Wigan are playing well at present and all of Hull Huddersfield and Stoke aren't,  so there's still hope.

15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Blimey! It's not long since they beat City in an FA Cup final. What the hell has gone so wrong?

See above: this is another Bury. There’s almost certainly not an issue with the “club” but with the ownership.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, shrek said:

4 weeks since the last takeover, stinks.

Thankfully the assets are all still in place.

And two weeks later one of the dIrectors that resigned in the change of ownership Tat Man Cheung is re-appointed to the board.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

They were the last team to beat Man City in the FA Cup in 2017

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well that guard of honour ended well...

City opened up Liverpool at will and ruthlessly exploited some poor defending.

Game on for next season, the gauntlet has been laid emphatically.

So, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?😎

Or, to bring that old joke up to date, I know you didn't enjoy the game, but did you enjoy the guard of honour?

I think next season is going to be interesting.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.