Football

40 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

So, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?😎

Or, to bring that old joke up to date, I know you didn't enjoy the game, but did you enjoy the guard of honour?

I think next season is going to be interesting.

There’s always a few factors that decide the title.

I think it will mainly come down to two next season:

a) Whether Manchester City’s European ban is upheld;

b) How expansive the European competitions will be next season given the logistical nightmare of COVID-19;

On 01/07/2020 at 15:29, gingerjon said:

They were only sold earlier this year so something's a bit fishy about this. Either the people it was sold to don't have the money they claimed or their money making ideas didn't have much to do with the reality of football.

A bit fishy you say. Read this thread... 

...and even if this is only partially correct, it is total insanity! 😠

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

9 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

A bit fishy you say. Read this thread... 

...and even if this is only partially correct, it is total insanity! 😠

The betting story is getting the headlines as its a good yarn with a shred of believeability.

But for me I thinking it comes down to the share price of the original holding company, International Entertainment Corp, seem to have done ok since overloading the club and the volumes of trades around the time of the sale seem to have shot up.  So there was a bet, just more likely to be on the stock market rather than the betting exchanges.

IMG_5809.JPG

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 22:33, GUBRATS said:

So , what happens now with Leicester City Football team ? 

Everybody into a hotel for quarantine ?

Aren’t they already in quarantine as they seem to have gone missing on the pitch...

On 03/07/2020 at 10:11, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well that guard of honour ended well...

City opened up Liverpool at will and ruthlessly exploited some poor defending.

Game on for next season, the gauntlet has been laid emphatically.

I am not fussed about that result; Liverpool (especially Robertson) looked like a pub team who’d been on the lash for a week...

City will spend big this summer to reclaim the title. Chelsea and United will strength again. I don’t either Liverpool or City will run away with the title like we’ve done this year. City favourites again as they’ll have the biggest and best squad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am not fussed about that result; Liverpool (especially Robertson) looked like a pub team who’d been on the lash for a week...

City will spend big this summer to reclaim the title. Chelsea and United will strength again. I don’t either Liverpool or City will run away with the title like we’ve done this year. City favourites again as they’ll have the biggest and best squad. 

I think you are jumping the gun with the "City favourites" claim. If the UEFA ban is upheld, even a club as wealthy as City could struggle to attract the quality players they need. If the ban is overturned, then I think you could be correct.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I think you are jumping the gun with the "City favourites" claim. If the UEFA ban is upheld, even a club as wealthy as City could struggle to attract the quality players they need. If the ban is overturned, then I think you could be correct.

I guess is the ban is upheld, it depends on if you can keep the likes of Sterling, De Bruyne et al. If overturned, the size of the squad and depth quality would make you favourites IMO. 

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

They'll need a defender of the quiality of Van Dijk or Kompany.

Liverpool learnt how to win close games at the start of the year and key players have remained injury free. They are the best liverpool side ever, IMO, but will have toug competition next season who will be gunning (*) for them.

(*) by that, I don't mean Arsenal.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I still think Liverpool and City will be half a step infront of the chasers. Chelsea have the potential to close the gap and will undoubtedly be the biggest threat to the top two. Spurs would have to go big in the transfer market but that’s not really them. Utd are an odd one I think in a one off game they have the beating of any of the top sides because of the pace in the team. Where I think they’ll struggle is in opening up sides who are happy for them to have the ball. 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Spurs would have to go big in the transfer market but that’s not really them.

It hasn’t been them with Levy very tight on budgets and purse strings, but it is Mourinho . Honestly I just don’t see the Spurs- Mourinho marriage as a natural one . It just doesn’t seem to fit , in playing style either. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It hasn’t been them with Levy very tight on budgets and purse strings, but it is Mourinho . Honestly I just don’t see the Spurs- Mourinho marriage as a natural one . It just doesn’t seem to fit , in playing style either. 

Who does Mourinho fit with now? Maybe a lower half team desperate for a point to avoid relegation...

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who does Mourinho fit with now? Maybe a lower half team desperate for a point to avoid relegation...

He ain’t that special anymore...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who does Mourinho fit with now? 

No one. Mainly because football's moved on.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As a United fan , as long as we don't turn into the borefest that is Man City under Pep , I'll be happy 

He’s a winning machine though which I guess is all that matters , and they can rip teams apart . Ancelotti’s style is very Italian but if he can bore Everton to a league cup triumph I’ll be as happy as a dog with two ... tails

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s a winning machine though which I guess is all that matters , and they can rip teams apart . Ancelotti’s style is very Italian but if he can bore Everton to a league cup triumph I’ll be as happy as a dog with two ... tails

He is when he's got unlimited funding , how would he go on with Watford or Southampton , fairly sure my dog could get Barca or Bayern to a Title in those countries 

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He is when he's got unlimited funding , how would he go on with Watford or Southampton , fairly sure my dog could get Barca or Bayern to a Title in those countries 

Your dog may be needed at Barca because the title is Real’s this year, I believe.

• Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 05/07/2020 at 10:49, GUBRATS said:

He gets that accusation a lot and I do understand it but he's still an excellent coach though and genuinely improves players. They have a very good budget at city but they've rarely gone for "galacticos" level signings, just a lot of quality in depth - which is far more sensible imo.

Undoubtedly he's been fortunate to coach at some of the best clubs in the world but his style of football is world class. 

• Like 3

Sorry to point this out, but yesterday's Southampton vs Man City match highlights a small reason for the popularity of football. City dominated possession,  had chance after chance and lost. In RL a team so dominant would have racked up 50 points,  game over. Luck plays a huge part in football....thankfully. 

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Sorry to point this out, but yesterday's Southampton vs Man City match highlights a small reason for the popularity of football. City dominated possession,  had chance after chance and lost. In RL a team so dominant would have racked up 50 points,  game over. Luck plays a huge part in football....thankfully. 

I thought your post was very insightful. I would also add that the difficulty in scoring in football is much higher which adds to the uncertainty.

Glorious Werder survive for another season in the Bundesliga thanks to the away goals rule.

*wipes lifelong supporter tear from eye*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 06/07/2020 at 15:15, marklaspalmas said:

You Saints! They played very well.

I'm a Southampton fan, so obviously I was delighted with the effort they showed. It's fair to say we rode our luck mind. On another day we could easily have lost that game 4 or 5-1. But you need things to go your way if you're going to beat the big boys.