Football

On 08/08/2020 at 12:00, 17 stone giant said:

I was hoping Brentford would do it as I have a friend who is a big fan of The Bees. I remember thinking that they'd done very well when they got promoted to the Championship. It will be interesting to see how they go next year after only just missing out this time.

And both teams gounds have supported Rugby League, so it was a pity for Brentford who have hosted more games of RL, rather than Fulham who started the Broncos (under another name) back in 1980.

I was hoping Brentford would win . Just a new face , bit of freshness and interest . Yes they may have sunk but we’ve been here over n over with Fulham , and WBA . 

Edited by DavidM

I see Leeds United's new sponsor came several years too late to twitter, and the obvious handle for them had already been taken by somebody else.

So, Leeds Utd fans, make sure you look at @sbotop_uk 
(Link removed by CKN)

11 hours ago, JonM said:

I see Leeds United's new sponsor came several years too late to twitter, and the obvious handle for them had already been taken by somebody else.

So, Leeds Utd fans, make sure you look at @sbotop_uk 
(Link removed by CKN)

I’ve edited this following reports and messages on the thing. The link you had had NSFW pics in it and a few hadn’t seen the NSFW link before clicking. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Latest statement from Wigan's administrators looks stark in black and white, losing faith a buyer will be find, but looks like its curtains if there isn't one in place by the end of the month.

We are continuing talks with various interested parties and are in discussions with four bidders regarding the sale.

We have set a deadline of 31 August 2020 to agree and sign the sale contract.

If the contract is not signed by this date, we will have to reconsider the position on the basis that the new season starts a week later. The reason for this is that we will be responsible for the team at the start of the season and the fulfilment of the fixtures.  Understandably, if no buyer is available, we do not wish to commit to something we cannot see through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrek said:

Latest statement from Wigan's administrators looks stark in black and white, losing faith a buyer will be find, but looks like its curtains if there isn't one in place by the end of the month.

I’d be preparing yourself for no Wigan Athletic games next season and a Phoenix club in the North West Counties in 21/22. Not sure how that can be avoided now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’d be preparing yourself for no Wigan Athletic games next season and a Phoenix club in the North West Counties in 21/22. Not sure how that can be avoided now.

Indeed - not sure about the North West Counties either, all sorts kicking off there over Bury and the Isle of Man entry, be just our luck for that draw bridge to be drawn up as well, Manchester League it is!

No good options from here on out, even if they get saved, with no team, no manager and not much time to get things going hard to be optimistic.

Enjoying the Euro cups,  both look interesting and hard to call. I have a hunch for a Bayern Munich vs PSG final, and a Manchester United vs Inter Milan in the Europa.  Good match yesterday,  sorry for Atalanta,  but if PSG get it right this could be their year..Leipzig vs Atletico Madrid tonight is a tough one to call. Methinks 2-1 Madrid. 

EDIT - Obviously I meant 2-1 Leipzig

Edited by HawkMan

Bayern started as favourites, gave Barca a torrid time with their high press and yet had a close shave early on at 1-1 when a Messi cross hit the post.

In the end they managed to fluke an 8-2 win over Barcelona! 😉

There’s potential for another couple of tasty looking matchups involving Bayern Munich, Man City and Paris SG.  

Hopefully we’ll get at least one game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

He's not wrong. And lurking in the background, things like the Bahrain government looking now to build up the currently tiny Paris FC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In happier news, the FA has confirmed that fans will be allowed into all step 3 and below and matches from now on, subject to guidelines (to be published) and each ground having an approved infection control set up in place. The initial rumour - haven't seen it confirmed - was that numbers per game will be capped at 15% of capacity. So for most non league grounds that would mean at least 500 fans - i.e. more than enough for a regular game.

Is good news but also a bit ridiculous. Was listening to the wireless yesterday and they were talking to Billericay manager jamie O'Harra and he made the point that they arnet allowed any fans in, yet the cricket ground that backs on to their ground is!! Also I think its Bromley(?) and Cray Wanderers that ground share and although Cray will be allowed some fans in, Bromley wont...I mean WTF?

57 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

Is good news but also a bit ridiculous. Was listening to the wireless yesterday and they were talking to Billericay manager jamie O'Harra and he made the point that they arnet allowed any fans in, yet the cricket ground that backs on to their ground is!! Also I think its Bromley(?) and Cray Wanderers that ground share and although Cray will be allowed some fans in, Bromley wont...I mean WTF?

Bromley are a professional club so come under elite (i.e. professional) sport. I get why they're annoyed but that's part of the deal of being in the National League. They are in that really grey area between the Football League and community non-league.

Reading between the lines on this: the FA appears to have gone further than the government required them to do in keeping fans away from matches from step 3 and below. There has been no change to the guidance at all (so I understand) just the interpretation of it. If the FA had wished, all non league clubs from the Southern/NPL/Isthmian on down could have had fans - with reduced capacities - all through the pre-season, subject to the club having appropriate rules and social distancing in place.

Put into administration by a guy who doesn't actually appear to have a debt at all to call in.  In the meantime, relegated by an incompetent governing body, asset stripped and 75 decent folk put on the dole.

14 hours ago, shrek said:

Put into administration by a guy who doesn't actually appear to have a debt at all to call in.  In the meantime, relegated by an incompetent governing body, asset stripped and 75 decent folk put on the dole.

As an aside, I was speaking to someone who investigates this sort of thing and his opinion is that the sums have been pitched at such a level that it's not worth the time of any serious investigators, as in they're normally looking at hundreds of millions (or more) being funnelled/washed clean/ducked around with so whilst something dodgy has obviously happened here, there's unlikely to be any decent team looking at it.

19 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Leeds Kalvin Phillips called up to England squad, interesting,  but no Jack Grealish,  odd.

He's gone for foden over Grealish which I agree is a bit odd. Perhaps he sees Denmark and Iceland as easier teams to bring the younger ones in against and Grealish to come in against better opposition? Its a weird non selection.

Happy for kalvin though he really deserves it and should be a big boost for England in his position 

I’m very surprised Grealish isn’t in . Yes he’s a better diver than Greg Louganis but he’s got a bitta skill and can win a penalty if he gets in the box . Surprised they’re not having a peek at Mason Holgate and DCL after excellent seasons in a poor outfit . Even as an Everton fan though I wouldn’t rely on Pickford , in fact I hope Carlo gets shot and upgrades .And what Eric Dier has over Southgate god only knows . I bet Southgate feels a bit of a burke upping Maguire and his character honesty etc etc then having to dump him for being a criminal . Maybe should have just hung fire on that until it was finished . Apparently there’s no truth in the rumour Maguire tried to run away from police and they caught him easily .  Yet again I bet he yearned for a better defence 

Edited by DavidM

49 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Southgate was right to pick Maguire ... the player had a right to be considered innocent till proved guilty.

True , but it was only a few hours in this case . You’d think he’d delay it until that so he’s not risking rowing back like that