Football

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

True , but it was only a few hours in this case . You’d think he’d delay it until that so he’s not risking rowing back like that 

I think McGuires legal team were expecting the case to be delayed while they examined the evidence. I’d imagine that’s what Southgate was expecting as well

Calling fans of all clubs, not just EPL, two questions:

1. Where do you think Messi will end up?

2. Can you come up with a cogent reason why he should join your club?

I'll start,  Messi should join Tottenham,  because of the challenge of single handedly turning under achieving so called ' big club' into winners. Even the League Cup would be welcome. 

Can Messi walk out ? Is under contract ? If there’s a get out clause is it valid here , what if Barca say ‘ hang on a second ‘ we don’t agree . We want the money in the exit clause ? If he gets out not many will be able to afford him you’d reckon . One thing is if he comes here he’ll find it a lot different to La Liga where so many teams just sit back and watch him play .

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can Messi walk out ? Is under contract ? If there’s a get out clause is it valid here , what if Barca say ‘ hang on a second ‘ we don’t agree . We want the money in the exit clause ? If he gets out not many will be able to afford him you’d reckon . One thing is if he comes here he’ll find it a lot different to La Liga where so many teams just sit back and watch him play .

Messi has or had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for nothing, that expired in June at season's end. But he is arguing that Covid 19 meant the season ended in July or August so the clause should be likewise extended.  With no transfer fee ,hey even Everton could get him, but I doubt that Messi has reached the age where senility has gotten hold, so we can rule that out. 

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Messi has or had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for nothing, that expired in June at season's end. But he is arguing that Covid 19 meant the season ended in July or August so the clause should be likewise extended.  With no transfer fee ,hey even Everton could get him, but I doubt that Messi has reached the age where senility has gotten hold, so we can rule that out. 

Wouldn’t want him . Wouldn’t get in 

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Lionel Messi to sign for Aston Villa, read it here first

Wouldn't matter if he did as you'd quote/ unquote, rather cut your toes off with a butter knife than watch the PL.

Just now, HawkMan said:

Wouldn't matter if he did as you'd quote/ unquote, rather cut your toes off with a butter knife than watch the PL.

I think Messi would rather cut his toes off with a Butter knife than play for Villa, I was being sarcastic, and who started this thread?

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think Messi would rather cut his toes off with a Butter knife than play for Villa, I was being sarcastic, and who started this thread?

Okay touche. Fair comment. But Messi and James Rodriguez in the PL, fantastic,  and Havertz, Thiago Silva too, heady days indeed.

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Okay touche. Fair comment. But Messi and James Rodriguez in the PL, fantastic,  and Havertz, Thiago Silva too, heady days indeed.

I think if Messi signed for Villa, I might scrape the train fare from Hastings to Witton, when the gates open to watch him. I Will not pay SkySports fees though! I will sit at the Holte End (doh) and watch him.

Edited by Bleep1673

It won't happen, Villa do not have the money, they could've signed Tammy Abraham last season, as their top scorer, but refused to do so because his first name sounded like a sanitary product, and spent £100m on useless reserve team players

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I've just seen Messi driving across the Magic Roundabout into the County Ground car park. 

The announcement of him signing for the Mighty Swindon Town will be at 5pm today. 

Ronaldo will also be joining him at SN1. You heard it here first. 😉

Bert Messi and Albert Ronaldo from the local pizza joint 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Never mind Messi and the greedy league, the FA Cup starts this week for fans of grassroots and "real football"

Despite the media and many fans believing it starts in January!

Anyone going to a game and giving some grassroots/community clubs some much needed income?

Avro V Bootle for me.

Glossop vs City of Liverpool is the one that caught the eye for me.

2 hours ago, meast said:

Never mind Messi and the greedy league, the FA Cup starts this week for fans of grassroots and "real football"

Despite the media and many fans believing it starts in January!

Anyone going to a game and giving some grassroots/community clubs some much needed income?

Avro V Bootle for me.

A couple of games near me. I'm moderately tempted but none really leap out. The Very Reverend My Dad (Retired) will be at Rugby Town v Worcester.

I will be at Hastings for their FA Women's Cup game against Hackney on Sunday.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The BBC were going to be showing a tie this evening but owing to a Covid infection it has now been declared a walkover. Not sure they're going to be showing an alternative.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)