Football

16 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I'm of an age when I now "qualify" to be allowed to play Walking Football so I'm off for a taster session on Thursday 

#MustNotRun

Walking football ? You’d get in Everton’s midfield 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, meast said:

Most of the football at the top levels is walking now isn't it? Apart from the odd scuttle to catch a misplaced pass from one of the many that get played around the back 8

You here the term ‘ possession football ‘ a lot , but I’ve always thought it’s pointless and boring if you’re not actually going anywhere 

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 14:23, DavidM said:

You here the term ‘ possession football ‘ a lot , but I’ve always thought it’s pointless and boring if you’re not actually going anywhere 

It's not to go anywhere, it's to keep possession and stop the opposition from having the ball and potentially hurting you, soccer snobs may believe it's the greatest thing to happen to the game and think it's the right or only way to play, but to me, it's defensive and negative.

Edited by meast

3 hours ago, meast said:

It's not to go anywhere, it's to keep possession and stop the opposition from having the ball and potentially hurting you, soccer snobs may believe it's the greatest thing to happen to the game and think it's the right or only way to play, but to me, it's defensive and negative.

It's what I've been sayin' all along Clive.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 02/09/2020 at 10:08, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I'm of an age when I now "qualify" to be allowed to play Walking Football so I'm off for a taster session on Thursday 

#MustNotRun

So I played my first ever game of Walking Football last night. Harder that it looks but really enjoyed it. I will be back, when work allows. 

On a side note, the Swindon Town in the Community guys are doing loads of great work and Foundation Park is an absolute brilliant facility.

My club seem to be doing it right at the moment. 😀

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Messi is staying at Barcelona (at least for now). Unsurprising, but disappointing. I had really hoped to see him in the Premier League.

We might still, Barca now have a choice, keep him until next summer then he goes for nothing,  or rewrite the release clause, and take money for him now. €250 million sounds about right.

• Like 1

There’s no doubt he’s one of the legends of the game and in the eyes of many possibly the best player of all time.  I do think though that comparing people from different eras is fraught with difficulty. 

He’s definitely the best dribbler I’ve ever seen either on TV, in the flesh or on video.  He has an immaculate first touch and is not as easy to push off the ball as he should be.  However I do think he’s lost some of his pace (only natural at his age).

I think if he did come to England it would be to play in the hole that David Silva occupied effectively latterly at Manchester City.  There he would be able to fully utilise his vision and passing, while being in range of goal for his hallmark shooting ability.  His unbelievable prowess in clutch set piece moments would be another benefit.

If he has a weakness now then it’s his defensive work and it would be Interesting to see whether the Man City high press would suffer somewhat with his inclusion. We’ve seen that Liverpool last year at Anfield and Bayern Munich this year in Lisbon can now effectively remove Messi as a factor in the game if they can maintain possession.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I hate to be controversial but I always pick Ronaldo over Messi if I’m asked ( which I often am due to my extensive footy expertise ) . Ronaldo has moved around and just owns wherever he goes , and he’s carted Portugal around single handedly and delivered on the international stage every time , even winning stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I hate to be controversial but I always pick Ronaldo over Messi if I’m asked ( which I often am due to my extensive footy expertise ) . Ronaldo has moved around and just owns wherever he goes , and he’s carted Portugal around single handedly and delivered on the international stage every time , even winning stuff 

There’s definitely an argument to be had for all that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think you are correct David.

He has won the European Championships and Nations cup with Portugal. He made a reasonably good side into winners. He always scored important goals when needed, on numerous occasions. I don't think Messi or say Ibrahimovic were able to do this on a regular basis. 

Similar to Maradona who led another adequately solid national side to trophies by scoring consistently at vital moments in tournaments.

Edited by Niels

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You will ALL be glad to hear that the mighty BECKENHAM TOWN  won 2-0 at DEAL TOWN yesterday 🙂

Lovely day took the train nice meal in a local bistro pre match, Deal is a wonderful club nice outside pub style bar as well.

Weather was good.

Paul

That was the one game I really wanted to hear about 😉

Looking forward to reading your reports on Beckenham's season. Plus the culinary delights from your travels. 😀

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 05/09/2020 at 10:50, DavidM said:

I think the counter argument to that has been that international football is no longer seen as the pinnacle of the game due to the concentration of world talent at the top European domestic clubs.

The UEFA Champions League during the careers of Messi and Ronaldo has been the real proving ground, particularly performances in the latter stages when clashes between those top European clubs are most frequent. 

It seems like if you were to adjudicate on that basis that Messi probably gets the nod over Ronaldo on nearly every basis you might wish to compare them on.  I would argue though that other legends such as Ferenc Puskas, Johan Cruyff and Alfredo Di Stefano did more to revolutionise the game in their respective positions.

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the counter argument to that has been that international football is no longer seen as the pinnacle of the game due to the concentration of world talent at the top European domestic clubs.

The UEFA Champions League during the careers of Messi and Ronaldo has been the real proving ground, particularly performances in the latter stages when clashes between those top European clubs are most frequent. 

It seems like if you were to adjudicate on that basis that Messi probably gets the nod over Ronaldo on nearly every basis you might wish to compare them on.  I would argue though that other legends such as Ferenc Puskas, Johan Cruyff and Alfredo Di Stefano did more to revolutionise the game in their respective positions.

Dunno , Ronaldo has won it 5 times and scored more goals than anyone 

Rank the teams from champions down to the relegation places

Man City 1

Liverpool 2

Man Utd 3

Chelsea 4

Arsenal 5

Wolves 6

Everton 7

Leicester 8

Tottenham 9

Newcastle 10

Burnley 11

Sheffield United 12

Southampton 13

Aston Villa 14

Leeds 15

West Ham 16

Fulham 17

West Brom 18

Brighton 19

Crystal Palace 20

Edited by HawkMan

as if the pubs are not enough of a chore at the min i imagine every person who I hold in very low esteem leeds fan will be crawling out of the woodwork on saturday to create moronfest 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile