15. Brighton

16. Sheffield Utd

17. Aston Villa

—————————

18. Newcastle

19. Fulham

20. West Brom

On 06/09/2020 at 21:30, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the counter argument to that has been that international football is no longer seen as the pinnacle of the game due to the concentration of world talent at the top European domestic clubs.

The UEFA Champions League during the careers of Messi and Ronaldo has been the real proving ground, particularly performances in the latter stages when clashes between those top European clubs are most frequent. 

It seems like if you were to adjudicate on that basis that Messi probably gets the nod over Ronaldo on nearly every basis you might wish to compare them on.  I would argue though that other legends such as Ferenc Puskas, Johan Cruyff and Alfredo Di Stefano did more to revolutionise the game in their respective positions.

I found your list interesting. 

I noticed that none of them, like Messi, inspired their countries to championships either. 

This is where I think Ronaldo has the edge as he is the only one has won honours for both club and country. 

8 hours ago, LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH said:

0751DB49-351F-4513-845A-66BFE61126FD.jpeg

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I hope you are right, but I have the feeling that you are being a tad optimistic 

You don't think Newcastle will do that well?

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Niels said:

I found your list interesting. 

I noticed that none of them, like Messi, inspired their countries to championships either. 

This is where I think Ronaldo has the edge as he is the only one has won honours for both club and country. 

That’s true although I don’t think Ronaldo’s Portugal have reached a World Cup final unlike Messi, Puskas and Cruyff.

I would accept though that the Euros in Ronaldo’s time has been of a high standard.

It’s an interesting debate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shrek said:

So Leigh Athletic is on the cards....................

Can't speak!  Don't recall the move to Leigh doing Horwich RMI much good!

Surely "Just A Small Town In Wigan" Athletic.

Anything else would be laughable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Boavista! Academico! ... errr ... Bognor! Bexhill!

I do like going to the Polegrove though so I'm sure I'll see Ricardo in action soon enough.

• Haha 1

On 09/09/2020 at 10:15, gingerjon said:

Boavista! Academico! ... errr ... Bognor! Bexhill!

I do like going to the Polegrove though so I'm sure I'll see Ricardo in action soon enough.

Boavista were a top club and Academico were in the second division so he should be of a good standard for the league. 

Swindon Town lost over 50 goals from last years squad. 😔

Today, to make up for that loss, our "General" decided to score his first goal for 5 years as Town won their opening league game for the *7th straight season. 😀

*Only Man City (top 4 teirs) has a better current run of winning season opening games (9 years)

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Just seen 5 players got sent off in the PSG game and I thought, bloody hell, something serious has gone on there. I find a video on YouTube from the game entitled, Mass Brawl 5 Red Cards, or something like that so watch it... There was literally just a bit of pushing and shoving...

Christ, there was two fights in the Challenge Cup today that were worse and the ref just told the players to calm it and they got on with the game. I don't know if it's cos I'm a RL fan and just used to a few punches being thrown but I really can't watch football without thinking just how tame it is. Just not my game at all. 

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just seen 5 players got sent off in the PSG game and I thought, bloody hell, something serious has gone on there. I find a video on YouTube from the game entitled, Mass Brawl 5 Red Cards, or something like that so watch it... There was literally just a bit of pushing and shoving...

Christ, there was two fights in the Challenge Cup today that were worse and the ref just told the players to calm it and they got on with the game. I don't know if it's cos I'm a RL fan and just used to a few punches being thrown but I really can't watch football without thinking just how tame it is. Just not my game at all. 

I watched it live. All deserved. It's the rules of the game and I didn't think any of them could complain. There were a few actual kicks at people in amongst all that.

But PSG lost and that's the main thing.

21 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I can't watch a full game of footy without making a comment along the lines of "every single tackle in every single game of rugby league has more impact than that. Get up you ####"!

Edited by Robin Evans

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I can't watch a full game of footy without making a comment along the lines of "every single tackle in every single game of rugby league has more impact than that. Get up you ####"!

Yes.

There’s a reason why football participation is higher than rugby by a factor of a few tens of thousands globally.

Havertz and Werner in the Chelsea line up at Brighton tonight. Looking forward to watching this and I'm not a Chelsea fan. New talent in EPL, fantastic. Sorry for this post,  I'm unusual on this thread, a footy fan who actually likes watching the EPL, weird or what?🤪😜

unnamed.png

Edited by HawkMan

On 14/09/2020 at 20:05, HawkMan said:

Sorry for this post,  I'm unusual on this thread, a footy fan who actually likes watching the EPL, weird or what?🤪😜

I tolerate Southampton being in the EPL, but I'm desperate for us to get relegated a couple of times so that we can play some proper football against the likes of Swindon. I'm sure you want the same for Spurs.

• Confused 1