Football

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I tolerate Southampton being in the EPL, but I'm desperate for us to get relegated a couple of times so that we can play some proper football against the likes of Swindon. I'm sure you want the same for Spurs.

Always pleased to get a mention 😀

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Macclesfield Town was the first non league game I went to. They beat Newport County 3-0 in a game that didn't officially happen because Newport went bust before the end of the season.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Macclesfield Town was the first non league game I went to. They beat Newport County 3-0 in a game that didn't officially happen because Newport went bust before the end of the season.

Despite the behemoths of Liverpool and the two Manchesters, Football in the Northwest has taken a bit of a battering, with Macclesfield, Stoke, Bury, Bolton and Wigan Athletic all having various crises recently.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Despite the behemoths of Liverpool and the two Manchesters, Football in the Northwest has taken a bit of a battering, with Macclesfield, Stoke, Bury, Bolton and Wigan Athletic all having various crises recently.

Glass half empty. 

Glass half full - Burnley,  remarkable job by Sean Dyche,  Everton,  James Rodriguez signing,  good few years for Fleetwood,  Accrington and Salford . Though I don't expect the Neville brothers to be smiling at 10.15 tonight. 

Edited by HawkMan

8 hours ago, Route66 said:

Just watching match of the day ,what a joke VAR is,everything scrutinised totally spoiling the flow and enjoyment of the game,I'm glad I only get out and watch non league football. 

Understand completely. Why let sticking to the rules get in the way, eh? 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Understand completely. Why let sticking to the rules get in the way, eh? 

For me VAR sums up the problems at the top of the ,tv and money are everything, it wouldn't be too bad if they got all the decisions right at the end of it. Watching sport is all about the action in real time, be it football or rugby, the ref is in charge and you take the decisions as they come. With regard to tv coverage did anyone watch last week's fa cup live game on bbc ,no action replays ,no time for washed up pundits to argue the toss of which way a throw should go,just the game shown in its entirety with minimal commentary, fantastic stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Route66 said:

For me VAR sums up the problems at the top of the ,tv and money are everything, it wouldn't be too bad if they got all the decisions right at the end of it. Watching sport is all about the action in real time, be it football or rugby, the ref is in charge and you take the decisions as they come. With regard to tv coverage did anyone watch last week's fa cup live game on bbc ,no action replays ,no time for washed up pundits to argue the toss of which way a throw should go,just the game shown in its entirety with minimal commentary, fantastic stuff. 

Bring back leather laced fottballs and jumpers for goalposts, smoking in the stands and goalies with rickets. Now that's REAL soccer!

10 hours ago, Route66 said:

Just watching match of the day ,what a joke VAR is,everything scrutinised totally spoiling the flow and enjoyment of the game,I'm glad I only get out and watch non league football. 

I agree with you in the sense there’s no room for common sense at all . Not saying that’s right or wrong , but at times it seems robotic and lacking in empathy to the game . The handball rule has got ridiculous in so many instances , and the keeper having one foot literally an inch off the line - with the game actually stopped to go back to it , seem a tad unpalatable really . But this is where you go with technology . Once it’s there it creeps further and further in until it’s running your game . I think the same about watching lower league rugby to be honest . I’m home by quarter to five and you spend days arguing about the decisions till next match 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree with you in the sense there’s no room for common sense at all . Not saying that’s right or wrong , but at times it seems robotic and lacking in empathy to the game . The handball rule has got ridiculous in so many instances , and the keeper having one foot literally an inch off the line - with the game actually stopped to go back to it , seem a tad unpalatable really . But this is where you go with technology . Once it’s there it creeps further and further in until it’s running your game . I think the same about watching lower league rugby to be honest . I’m home by quarter to five and you spend days arguing about the decisions till next match 

I think a lot of people didn't realise that the Premier League only really introduced a 'light' version of VAR last season. They tried to not have to put in the full version - the one that those of us who saw it introduced at the Women's World Cup in 2019 looked at in horror. However, they have been leaned on (I think by UEFA) to standardise with the full on version.

The referees have no room for manoeuvre here. They have to implement the rules to the letter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think a lot of people didn't realise that the Premier League only really introduced a 'light' version of VAR last season. They tried to not have to put in the full version - the one that those of us who saw it introduced at the Women's World Cup in 2019 looked at in horror. However, they have been leaned on (I think by UEFA) to standardise with the full on version.

The referees have no room for manoeuvre here. They have to implement the rules to the letter.

Indeed , I think that’s right . I was thinking about the women’s World Cup furore watching the De Gea incident 

• Like 1

The rules are there. They are clear. Wrong, but clear.

A ball blasted full tilt at short range towards a player. The brain can't think quickly enough to make a premeditated decision to handle the ball. But a penalty is given.

We either accept that those are the rules and if you cop for one its unlucky, 

Or... you apply a subjective decision of intent.... which is in turn open to all manner of criticism.

I watch barnsley and partick. Neither are troubled by VAR.

FA Cup Qualifying round 1 this week, a selected, personal round up of scores....

Bedfont Sports 3-1 Lewes (Lewes is a lovely town)

Chatham Town 3-2 Southall (Southall is a great place for a curry)

Chertsey Town 0-0 Leatherhead Chertsey win 5-4 on pens (Chertsey was one of my 1st agency jobs)

Hastings Utd 0-0 Chesham Utd (I live here) Hastings 6-5 on pens

Leiston 5-1 Biggleswade T ( My ex wife lived in Leiston)

Little Common 0-3 Corinthian Casuals (I hate Little Common, just the other side of Bexhill, such a sterile town)

Margate 1-2 Hayes & Yeading (I used to live close to Hayes FC)

Radcliffe 5-3 Workington (My uncle used to live in the street behind Radcliffe's ground)

Whitby Town 1-1 Warrington Rylands (I remember playing for Irlam Hornets at Rylands) Rylands win 4-3 on pens

Edited by Bleep1673

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

FA Cup Qualifying round 1 this week, a selected, personal round up of scores....

Bedfont Sports 3-1 Lewes (Lewes is a lovely town)

Chatham Town 3-2 Southall (Southall is a great place for a curry)

Chertsey Town 0-0 Leatherhead Chertsey win 5-4 on pens (Chertsey was one of my 1st agency jobs)

Hastings Utd 0-0 Chesham Utd (I live here) Hastings 6-5 on pens

Leiston 5-1 Biggleswade T ( My ex wife lived in Leiston)

Little Common 0-3 Corinthian Casuals (I hate Little Common, just the other side of Bexhill, such a sterile town)

Margate 1-2 Hayes & Yeading (I used to live close to Hayes FC)

Radcliffe 5-3 Workington (My uncle used to live in the street behind Radcliffe's ground)

Whitby Town 1-1 Warrington Rylands (I remember playing for Irlam Hornets at Rylands) Rylands win 4-3 on pens

Little Common play at The Oval in Eastbourne now.

Amusingly, Sidley United now play at Little Common.

• Confused 1

On 20/09/2020 at 13:38, JohnM said:

That the problem with introducing technology into the game. It was the same when they invented the whistle.

I presume that came after the.... no I won't say.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

An FA Cup quirk.

Hastings have just been drawn away Ebbsfleet.

If the match was in Hastings then a crowd of 400 would be permissable.

The maximum allowed crowd in Ebbsfleet is ... 0.