Football

BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on gambling awareness, and suggested 10 of the 20 premiership clubs were sponsored by betting firms, in their graphic they included Aston Villa, whose shirt sponsors are actually CAZOO who sell cars on line. Another piece of wonderful BBC research into the truth!

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

BBC Breakfast this morning did a piece on gambling awareness, and suggested 10 of the 20 premiership clubs were sponsored by betting firms, in their graphic they included Aston Villa, whose shirt sponsors are actually CAZOO who sell cars on line. Another piece of wonderful BBC research into the truth!

They must sell a lot of cars they sponsor Everton

36 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Indeed. Villa have been sponsored by bookies for the past three seasons but not this.

So only nine out of 20 this year.

I think it's 12/22 in the Championship.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm an Evertonian and boy was that a shocking penalty decision.

Football needed to bring in some form of technology but should've limited it. I remember saying at the time that RL should be used as a warning for how it can end up being worse than no video technology. 

On 17/07/2020 at 11:16, DavidM said:

Football is just cheating from minute one to minute 90 . They kick the ball out and  shout for a throw in 

So by your logic, Everton now top of the EPL are just king of cheaters. How many of their goals have come from cheating. Who knows, who cares ? No point caring if Everton or anyone else is top.

11 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

So by your logic, Everton now top of the EPL are just king of cheaters. How many of their goals have come from cheating. Who knows, who cares ? No point caring if Everton or anyone else is top.

You trawled back for that . You’re a right laugh . 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You trawled back for that . You’re a right laugh . 

I am aren't I 😄 maybe you're embarrassed at posting that. I always stand by my posts.

The serious point is how many results would be altered if there was no cheating.  Free kick goals resulting from phantom fouls.etc  However apart from wanting Spurs to win , I'd be happy Everton winning the league. 

Edited by HawkMan

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I am aren't I 😄 maybe you're embarrassed at posting that. I always stand by my posts.

The serious point is how many results would be altered if there was no cheating.  Free kick goals resulting from phantom fouls.etc  However apart from wanting Spurs to win , I'd be happy Everton winning the league. 

I have no idea what you’re going on about fella . Everton have cheated there way to the top ? Ok pal 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I have no idea what you’re going on about fella . Everton have cheated there way to the top ? Ok pal 

NO THEY HAVEN'T!! NO ONE HAS.

That's my point,  football isn't fairly characterised by saying it's cheating constantly. 

Hell of a lot of goals again in the Premier League. I wonder if there's a correlation between goals and no fans. Can't think of one though.  Just some rank bad defending.  Thiago Silva had a game to forget, the pace just possibly too much for him.

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm an Evertonian and boy was that a shocking penalty decision.

Football needed to bring in some form of technology but should've limited it. I remember saying at the time that RL should be used as a warning for how it can end up being worse than no video technology. 

With the caveat that I haven’t seen the decision, the issue seems to be less the technology and more the current bonkers interpretations of the handball rule.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Premier League is torn between being the most attractive football entertainment product in the world and also achieving the highest possible professional playing standard - these usually have gone hand in hand perhaps until now.

As far as the latter goes, VAR is about accuracy and the fact we are always told that millions of pounds rest on the decisions of officials at the end of the day so they have to be right.

As far as entertainment goes, the viewing figures/attendances will ultimately dictate whether the quest for refereeing perfection has decreased it’s value in that sense.

Personally from my perspective, I miss the instant gratification of celebrating a goal without the possibility of it being overturned for a video captured infringement.  I can’t deny in itself that creates its own piece of drama particularly if you’re watching on TV rather than being at the match.

I think truthfully I’m of a generation in which being a fan meant going to the games so the adjustment to VAR isn’t a natural one.  But for many modern fans who have never been to a live game to see the Premier League team they support, this will seem like a more logical evolution that doesn’t detract from the whole experience for them.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

With the caveat that I haven’t seen the decision, the issue seems to be less the technology and more the current bonkers interpretations of the handball rule.

I think both are an issue. I went out and made a cup of tea and the ref was still discussing it. 

Before football brought in technology, I thought RL was a good lesson for what not to do and how it can end up more frustrating than useful. I've always been a believer in that both sides think it is a try, then the try should be given. In RL, we ended up seeing tries chalked off for obstruction that nobody was complaining about. 

They should've stuck to goal line decisions and offsides IMO. Anything subjective and about the letter of the law, they should've stayed well away from. They end up causing more frustration than anything else. Had a penalty not been given, not a single person, including Everton fans would've given it a second thought. 

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Premier League is torn between being the most attractive football entertainment product in the world and also achieving the highest possible professional playing standard - these usually have gone hand in hand perhaps until now.

As far as the latter goes, VAR is about accuracy and the fact we are always told that millions of pounds rest on the decisions of officials at the end of the day so they have to be right.

As far as entertainment goes, the viewing figures/attendances will ultimately dictate whether the quest for refereeing perfection has decreased it’s value in that sense.

Personally from my perspective, I miss the instant gratification of celebrating a goal without the possibility of it being overturned for a video captured infringement.  I can’t deny in itself that creates its own piece of drama particularly if you’re watching on TV rather than being at the match.

I think truthfully I’m of a generation in which being a fan meant going to the games so the adjustment to VAR isn’t a natural one.  But for many modern fans who have never been to a live game to see the Premier League team they support, this will seem like a more logical evolution that doesn’t detract from the whole experience for them.

I'm of the generation where Frank Lampard's not-given goal was the angriest I ever was in my life. 

That said, nobody enjoyed the situation we saw today or last week. A slightly contentious decision being poured over for 5 minutes, before a decision most people hate being given. Money talks enough in football that I'm sure they'll adjust eventually. 

Cricket has it right for me , the technology isn’t intrusive or spoils the spectacle . It’s very targeted to where it’s absolutely needed and limited . Football and rugby just in my opinion have gone to far ... it’s introduced then it seeps further into the game and spoils it as a spectacle . There’s more n more when we need less and less . Officials are basically robotically in hoc to technology now . Add in stupid interpretations to the mix and becomes a laughable but not in a ha ha way mess . The handball thing ... really ? How can anyone think that’s a good idea and vote for it ? We’re losing common sense from games in the search for perfection in decision making and ‘ consistency ‘ . But what if it’s consistently bonkers or frustrating . I’d go back to the future with it all or pair it right back but it ain’t happening 

Edited by DavidM

On 26/09/2020 at 10:35, DavidM said:

They must sell a lot of cars they sponsor Everton

Yeah, but the toffees would be sponsored by Ali's Corner shop if they thought it would help their new stadium, besides, I am not sure there is a limit as to how many teams a company can sponsor?

On 26/09/2020 at 19:46, HawkMan said:

Hell of a lot of goals again in the Premier League. I wonder if there's a correlation between goals and no fans. Can't think of one though.  Just some rank bad defending.  Thiago Silva had a game to forget, the pace just possibly too much for him.

Watching Thiago Silva look like a league 2 player after coming out and saying what he said about the English League made me chuckle a lot. Definitely someone who has suffered massively from the PSG syndrome.

Manchester Utd 1-6 Tottenham.

Currently Aston Villa 5-1 Liverpool.

I can't stand these blowout scores. If you showed those scores to a rugby league fan they would laugh at you.

• Thanks 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Have Man Utd and Liverpool ever conceded more than 6 between them on the same day?

Let alone 12...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Or even 13...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."