Football

We the mighty BECKENHAM TOWN had 450 yesterday v Chatham Town (300 officially LOL:) but I won't talk abut the 5-1 thrashing:(

Will be interesting to see if the FA abort the season again this year if its not completed we were top last year and this season have no chance of finishing in the top 3 due to budget cuts and the obscene amount of money being thrown around by some clubs like Chatham Town budget of £ 5000 a week total madness:( the sooner this crazy pyramid system is dropped at our level and we back to a traditional Kent league the better.

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

We the mighty BECKENHAM TOWN had 450 yesterday v Chatham Town (300 officially LOL:) but I won't talk abut the 5-1 thrashing:(

Will be interesting to see if the FA abort the season again this year if its not completed we were top last year and this season have no chance of finishing in the top 3 due to budget cuts and the obscene amount of money being thrown around by some clubs like Chatham Town budget of £ 5000 a week total madness:( the sooner this crazy pyramid system is dropped at our level and we back to a traditional Kent league the better.

couldn't you just play in the Kent league anyway and leave the pyramid for those clubs who want to be part of that?

4 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

couldn't you just play in the Kent league anyway and leave the pyramid for those clubs who want to be part of that?

NO the FA will not allow it however next year we are planning a midweek KENT LEAGUE  comp featuring teams from our league and the 2 above (16 teams) We would love to go back to many traditional derbies to give you an idea.

Whitstable Town v Herne Bay 700/800

Chatham Town v Sheppey United 900

These are 2 figures for last years Step 5/6 

Paul

• Thanks 1

I would regionalise from the old division 4 downwards with 20 team divisions.  Its just crazy that clubs like Stockport have to cram in 46 games in a season with trips to Torquay (their 1st game last week), Bromley Dover, Maidenhead etc etc. Below that the National League North and South could be split in 3 or even 4 divisions of 20 teams for more local derbies and if you're happy were you are playing,  even if you win the league you don't need to move up to the next Tier

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I would regionalise from the old division 4 downwards with 20 team divisions.  Its just crazy that clubs like Stockport have to cram in 46 games in a season with trips to Torquay (their 1st game last week), Bromley Dover, Maidenhead etc etc. Below that the National League North and South could be split in 3 or even 4 divisions of 20 teams for more local derbies and if you're happy were you are playing,  even if you win the league you don't need to move up to the next Tier

Total agree at our level WE WANT KENT LOCAL DERBIES and also its a great day out (Just like Rugby League at lower level) We are what we are, nothing better than a day out at Whitstable Deal etc we were at Dear the other week in early September I took the train locally couple of changes nice restaurant near the beach watched the game (Great club house and bar) wonderful day out much better than wasting money on watching overpaid wallies in the premiership/championship:)

Paul

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Total agree at our level WE WANT KENT LOCAL DERBIES and also its a great day out (Just like Rugby League at lower level) We are what we are, nothing better than a day out at Whitstable Deal etc we were at Dear the other week in early September I took the train locally couple of changes nice restaurant near the beach watched the game (Great club house and bar) wonderful day out much better than wasting money on watching overpaid wallies in the premiership/championship:)

Paul

This is a genuine question,  I'm not trying to be sarcastic,  but I  am wondering honestly,  if you never see EPL.or Championship football,  never see professional top tier stuff, does that mean you just don't know who the players are, or ever seen them play? Do you know who Harry Kane is, or Rashford,  does the name Mo Salah leave you blank. Have you never seen Messi or Ronaldo.  If I asked you which of the following teams are in the Premier League,  Bournemouth,  Brighton, Swansea, and Fulham,  would you have any idea? I'm just curious,  no offense meant.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

The FA are now forcing teams from the Northern League (comfortably the strongest league at its level) and the Peninsula League (Cornwall) to take promotion if they win their leagues as multiple champions refused to go up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

This is a genuine question,  I'm not trying to be sarcastic,  but I  am wondering honestly,  if you never see EPL.or Championship football,  never see professional top tier stuff, does that mean you just don't know who the players are, or ever seen them play? Do you know who Harry Kane is, or Rashford,  does the name Mo Salah leave you blank. Have you never seen Messi or Ronaldo.  If I asked you which of the following teams are in the Premier League,  Bournemouth,  Brighton, Swansea, and Fulham,  would you have any idea? I'm just curious,  no offense meant.

YES been there seen it done it and there are many like me 🙂

20 odd ex Crystal Palace season ticket holders behind the goals at BTFC home games that also go away as well.

Interesting at the London Broncos I would say that around 50% also watch non league football.

P

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

20 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The FA are now forcing teams from the Northern League (comfortably the strongest league at its level) and the Peninsula League (Cornwall) to take promotion if they win their leagues as multiple champions refused to go up.

The northern league is still a fantastic historical competition who's members are regularly fa vase finalists but are now constantly losing their bigger clubs to the pyramid. Most notably lately Darlington, Spennymoor,South Shields  and Marske .Probably been in decline since Blyth Spartans left though but still got some great old clubs and some excellent north east players who dont fancy trailing the country. Harry Pearsons book the far corner is a great insight to the northern league and professional game in the north east

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Route66 said:

The northern league is still a fantastic historical competition who's members are regularly fa vase finalists but are now constantly losing their bigger clubs to the pyramid. Most notably lately Darlington, Spennymoor,South Shields  and Marske .Probably been in decline since Blyth Spartans left though but still got some great old clubs and some excellent north east players who dont fancy trailing the country. Harry Pearsons book the far corner is a great insight to the northern league and professional game in the north east

Sadly, owing to geography and time, the only Northern League games I've seen were when Gretna were in the league. (That dates me, I know).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sadly, owing to geography and time, the only Northern League games I've seen were when Gretna were in the league. (That dates me, I know).

Its been a bit of a bind with us the Northern League clubs refusing to step up when clearly they should have which is why so many have reached the FA Vase Final recently.

2 strongest areas for Non League Football without doubt North East and Kent.

Paul

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its been a bit of a bind with us the Northern League clubs refusing to step up when clearly they should have which is why so many have reached the FA Vase Final recently.

2 strongest areas for Non League Football without doubt North East and Kent.

Paul

Can't blame them for not wanting to - but forcing them to move up should at least begin the process of moving the regional leagues and conference divisions back to reality. Can't have Gloucester in National League North forever.

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Can't blame them for not wanting to - but forcing them to move up should at least begin the process of moving the regional leagues and conference divisions back to reality. Can't have Gloucester in National League North forever.

I agree however we have to be realistic.

In Kent many teams go back to the original Southern League in fact as a kid I remember Beckenham playing Canterbury City in a Kent Senior Cup match and Canterbury had just signed Ian Black who before had played for Scotland v England.

In those days many Scottish players signed for Kent Southern League teams like Dover/Canterbury/Folkestone/Deal/Margate and Ramsgate as they worked in the Kentish pits.

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

22 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

In Kent many teams go back to the original Southern League in fact as a kid I remember Beckenham playing Canterbury City in a Kent Senior Cup match and Canterbury had just signed Ian Black who before had played for Scotland v England.

In those days many Scottish players signed for Kent Southern League teams like Dover/Canterbury/Folkestone/Deal/Margate and Ramsgate as they worked in the Kentish pits.

Paul

Bradford (Park Avenue)'s first ever professional season was in the Southern League.

They replaced Fulham.

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bradford (Park Avenue)'s first ever professional season was in the Southern League.

They replaced Fulham.

Interesting (Good one for the Quiz night) my team was always Millwall first match I ever saw them play was v Bradford PA in the old Division 4.

My friend Peter who runs a bed and breakfast in Herne Bay (I stay there sometimes when watching cricket in Canterbury) played in goal for Plymouth Argyle the day they beat Millwall at the den and ended our unbeaten home record around 50 + matches.

Nowadays prefer my non league football fix LOL:) along with rugby league and county cricket PERFECT:)

Paul

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They replaced Fulham.

Thanks for that quirky gem, gingerjon!

I recall, in the very early days of substitutions, staying one Christmas with my aunt and uncle in Welwyn Garden City.  One of my cousins took me to join his mates in going to Luton Town for the Boxing Day match.  It was against Bradford PA.  Luton won; I cannot recall the score.  Late in the game, they brought on their substitute, who was a goalkeeper, but played him as an extra striker!  The 'science' of substitutions is, inevitably, a wee bit more sophisticated these days!

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for that quirky gem, gingerjon!

I recall, in the very early days of substitutions, staying one Christmas with my aunt and uncle in Welwyn Garden City.  One of my cousins took me to join his mates in going to Luton Town for the Boxing Day match.  It was against Bradford PA.  Luton won; I cannot recall the score.  Late in the game, they brought on their substitute, who was a goalkeeper, but played him as an extra striker!  The 'science' of substitutions is, inevitably, a wee bit more sophisticated these days!

I can't really take credit for it because it was mentioned on here in another thread - though I can't remember by who.

The history of the development of professional football is a lot more nuanced and interesting that I remember being told back in the day when it was literally "the Football League was formed in 1888 and now look at it". And that's before you get on to the still-existing Amateur Football Alliance and their whole network of corinthian infused clubs and leagues across London and the south-east. Imagine if we'd had a Southern League equivalent for rugby league.

Substitutes were still regarded as something a novelty when I first watched a match but I think they'd been around a few years. The idea of having more than one was still seen as some dandyish novelty only really suitable for internationals, if at all.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Interesting (Good one for the Quiz night) my team was always Millwall first match I ever saw them play was v Bradford PA in the old Division 4.

My friend Peter who runs a bed and breakfast in Herne Bay (I stay there sometimes when watching cricket in Canterbury) played in goal for Plymouth Argyle the day they beat Millwall at the den and ended our unbeaten home record around 50 + matches.

Nowadays prefer my non league football fix LOL:) along with rugby league and county cricket PERFECT:)

Paul

Or as some of us of a certain age would have it, the new Division 4.  Bring back Divisions 3 (North) and 3 (South) I say!  It would cut travelling costs, for sure!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

Is that Ian Black the ex Aberdeen midfielder of some repute?

Edit:  Maybe his grandad!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I can't really take credit for it because it was mentioned on here in another thread - though I can't remember by who.

The history of the development of professional football is a lot more nuanced and interesting that I remember being told back in the day when it was literally "the Football League was formed in 1888 and now look at it". And that's before you get on to the still-existing Amateur Football Alliance and their whole network of corinthian infused clubs and leagues across London and the south-east. Imagine if we'd had a Southern League equivalent for rugby league.

Substitutes were still regarded as something a novelty when I first watched a match but I think they'd been around a few years. The idea of having more than one was still seen as some dandyish novelty only really suitable for internationals, if at all.

I have recently been reading in more depth about the various districts of Bolton that regularly competed in the latter stages of the FA Cup proper in the years before the formation of the Football League.

Turton, Eagley, Halliwell, Astley Bridge and Great Lever (where I have lived at one point) have all got storied pasts including Turton’s claim to have a football pitch the longest in continuous use (or something along those lines).

Great Lever even had an England representative and the area around Green Lane where they played still has a 5 a side pitch now.  It’s a pity not more of the history has survived, but at one point it was without doubt the hotbed of football pre-Football League.

11 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

GOALIE:)

Capped once for Scotland in 1948 - hell my dad wasn't even alive then you old sod - and moved to Canterbury City (from Bath City) in 1962.

Wiki is great these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Or as some of us of a certain age would have it, the new Division 4.  Bring back Divisions 3 (North) and 3 (South) I say!  It would cut travelling costs, for sure!

..and Bill Bothwell....