Football

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Capped once for Scotland in 1948 - hell my dad wasn't even alive then you old sod - and moved to Canterbury City (from Bath City) in 1962.

Wiki is great these days.

Last saw Canterbury City play last October (I was on my way back from Spain) and stopped off for the match v Beckenham Town which was played at Faversham Town with my 14 and 10 year old (Now work that one out Mick and Rod eat your heart out OLD SODS: LOL:)

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

Love the way the multi-million pound industry that is football is obsessed with giving penalties for any trivial incident that happens in the box , that non existent offsides are regularly given , and that VAR gets just about everything wrong .....and we thought our system in RL had problems

I was just watching match of the day and saw the incident where Aguerooooooo grabbed the shoulder and got touchie with the touchie . Right away I didn’t like the look of it , players should never have physical contact with officials and that was out of order . Conversely I’m always surprised as to what footy officials take from players - they let them surround them , confront them , shout at them , swear at them , all kinds . Every season we get the respect agenda , and now n again a player will get punished , but most of the time players get way to much latitude off officials . This lady here just carried on like nothing happened when she should have called over the ref to take action there 

Edited by DavidM

On 11/10/2020 at 19:07, gingerjon said:

The FA are now forcing teams from the Northern League (comfortably the strongest league at its level) and the Peninsula League (Cornwall) to take promotion if they win their leagues as multiple champions refused to go up.

It's ridiculous - and potentially ruinous, financially. Why, for example, would a Northern League club give up well attended derby games every week for the privilege of travelling across northern England, on a mid-winter Tuesday, to play under lights in front of little more than one man and a dog at, say, Prescot Cables?

Spennymoor Town (unlike United, their predecessor) have made a decent fist of life away from the Northern League but they've got a wealthy backer. Ditto South Shields.

Marske United and Whitby Town are doing OK but then they were on the southern fringe of the Northern League catchment.

Edited by Hopping Mad

2 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

It's ridiculous - and potentially ruinous, financially. Why, for example, would a Northern League club give up well attended derby games every week for the privilege of travelling across northern England, on a mid-winter Tuesday, to play under lights in front of little more than one man and a dog at, say, Prescot Cables?

I don't disagree - especially when you look how far south the 'Northern' Premier League extends. And the Northern League has a history of not wanting to be an active participant in the pyramid anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I don't disagree - especially when you look how far south the 'Northern' Premier League extends. And the Northern League has a history of not wanting to be an active participant in the pyramid anyway.

As I'm sure you know, it's not that long ago Lowestoft Town were in the NPL!

2 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As I'm sure you know, it's not that long ago Lowestoft Town were in the NPL!

I'd forgotten that one but my parents live near Rugby Town so I've seen them (as VS Rugby as well as Rugby Town) in the Southern League, the Northern Premier, the Midland League and the United Counties League.

The idea of them being northern is as mad as ... well, as mad as Brackley, Gloucester and Worcester being northern ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am hoping that Covid 19 will see off this crazy FA step system (One can only hope)

After a 7-0 away win on Saturday tomorrow we are at home to Tunbridge Wells luckily we are restricted to 300 so no T/Wells fans allowed in ,sadly after they took 13000 to the FA Vase a few years ago around a hardcore of a dozen old oiks who used to follow Chelsea and lived in T/Wells decided that paying 7 quid on a Saturday and 3 pounds a pint was a better option for them 😞

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'd forgotten that one but my parents live near Rugby Town so I've seen them (as VS Rugby as well as Rugby Town) in the Southern League, the Northern Premier, the Midland League and the United Counties League.

The idea of them being northern is as mad as ... well, as mad as Brackley, Gloucester and Worcester being northern ...

In 2011 couple of my mates travelled to Bishop Stortford from Workington for a conference north game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, some of the Midlands clubs have suffered over the years. I remember Leek Town spending a season in the Southern League. Their travelling expenses doubled. Almost broke the club.

Not that into football but caught the leeds game tonight as wifes a fan.There seemed to be so many overhit balls all game from both sides,Has ball got lighter or smaller this past few years, Or has it a lot more air in it nowadays?

8 hours ago, silverback said:

Not that into football but caught the leeds game tonight as wifes a fan.There seemed to be so many overhit balls all game from both sides,Has ball got lighter or smaller this past few years, Or has it a lot more air in it nowadays?

The possibility that they were just being rubbish must also be considered.

11 hours ago, Route66 said:

In 2011 couple of my mates travelled to Bishop Stortford from Workington for a conference north game

Just the 275 miles from Blyth to Gloucester this year.

With no crowds.

• Like 1

3 years ago all 4 clubs that were relegated from the National Conference were Southern clubs, so the two most Northern clubs were shifted to the Northern Conference, that included Kings Lynn, and another I can't recall, meaning some new first time ever league meetings.

Barrow beat Bolton last night, I wonder when the last time that happened, if ever.

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

3 years ago all 4 clubs that were relegated from the National Conference were Southern clubs, so the two most Northern clubs were shifted to the Northern Conference, that included Kings Lynn, and another I can't recall, meaning some new first time ever league meetings.

Barrow beat Bolton last night, I wonder when the last time that happened, if ever.

They drew 3-3 in the end.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Hate to be accused of ‘virtue signalling’, but I have joined those boycotting the Liverpool-Sheffield United PPV and donated instead to a North Liverpool foodbank supported by both Everton FC and Liverpool FC.

https://spiritofshankly.com/boycott-box-office-pay-per-view/

https://donorbox.org/fanssupportingfoodbanks5years

When you thought 2020 couldn’t get any weirder along comes the line ... ‘ West Brom v Burnley , live on pay per view ‘ . Sky aren’t divulging how many ( mugs) are forking our for these because it’s sensitive information , which is a little odd as when they get successful PPV broadcasts you can’t stop them trumpeting them . PPV is a total fleecing con job which is becoming disgracefully diluted in general , which looks doubly bad in these times . Bob Arum ripped Fast Eddie and Sky up on this 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

FA Cup first round draw takes place this evening at 7.10pm.  If you don’t have BT Sport you can watch it online on FA’s social media or on BBC Sport online.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/oct/19/emirates-fa-cup-4rq-ties-on-tv-and-first-round-draw-live-191020

Any local interest for you?  I’ll be honest and say I’m not familiar with some of the Southern non league names in there.

There’s potential for a few TV ties based on local derbies particularly if struggling Bolton Wanderers had to travel to Chorley or FC United of Manchester.

Also South Shields vs Sunderland maybe?

1 ACCRINGTON STANLEY
2 AFC WIMBLEDON
3 BARROW
4 BLACKPOOL
5 BOLTON WANDERERS
6 BRADFORD CITY
7 BRISTOL ROVERS
8 BURTON ALBION
9 CAMBRIDGE UNITED
10 CARLISLE UNITED
11 CHARLTON ATHLETIC
12 CHELTENHAM TOWN
13 COLCHESTER UNITED
14 CRAWLEY TOWN
15 CREWE ALEXANDRA
16 DONCASTER ROVERS
17 EXETER CITY
18 FLEETWOOD TOWN
19 FOREST GREEN ROVERS
20 GILLINGHAM
21 GRIMSBY TOWN
22 HARROGATE TOWN
23 HULL CITY
24 IPSWICH TOWN
25 LEYTON ORIENT
26 LINCOLN CITY
27 MANSFIELD TOWN
28 MILTON KEYNES DONS
29 MORECAMBE
30 NEWPORT COUNTY
31 NORTHAMPTON TOWN
32 OLDHAM ATHLETIC
33 OXFORD UNITED
34 PETERBOROUGH UNITED
35 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE
36 PORT VALE
37 PORTSMOUTH
38 ROCHDALE
39 SALFORD CITY
40 SCUNTHORPE UNITED
41 SHREWSBURY TOWN
42 SOUTHEND UNITED
43 STEVENAGE
44 SUNDERLAND
45 SWINDON TOWN
46 TRANMERE ROVERS
47 WALSALL
48 WIGAN ATHLETIC
49 DARLINGTON 
50 SKELMERSDALE UNITED
51 SOLIHULL MOORS
52 BANBURY UNITED 
53 SOUTH SHIELDS 
54 HARTLEPOOL UNITED
55 FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER 
56 BRACKLEY TOWN 
57 KING'S LYNN TOWN
58 CHESTERFIELD
59 AFC FYLDE 
60 MARINE
61 CRAY VALLEY (PM)
62 CANVEY ISLAND 
63 HAYES & YEADING UNITED
64 BROMLEY
65 TONBRIDGE ANGELS 
66 HAMPTON & RICHMOND BOROUGH
67 WOKING
68 MALDON & TIPTREE 
69 DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE
70 BARNET
71 OXFORD CITY
72 EASTBOURNE BOROUGH
73 EASTLEIGH
74 TORQUAY UNITED
75 HAVANT & WATERLOOVILLE
76 BOREHAM WOOD 
77 YEOVIL TOWN
78 BISHOP'S STORTFORD OR ST ALBANS CITY
79 CONCORD RANGERS 
80 CHORLEY

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Any local interest for you?

Yep... 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

45 SWINDON TOWN

...always interesting to see which side gets the privilege of giving my club a 1st or 2nd round knock-out. Normally, it seems, a non-league side gets the honour. My team haven't reached the 3rd round since 2012 and some of the results have been embarrassing. 😔

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

FA Cup first round draw takes place this evening at 7.10pm.  If you don’t have BT Sport you can watch it online on FA’s social media or on BBC Sport online.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/oct/19/emirates-fa-cup-4rq-ties-on-tv-and-first-round-draw-live-191020

Any local interest for you?  I’ll be honest and say I’m not familiar with some of the Southern non league names in there.

There’s potential for a few TV ties based on local derbies particularly if struggling Bolton Wanderers had to travel to Chorley or FC United of Manchester.

Also South Shields vs Sunderland maybe?

1 ACCRINGTON STANLEY
2 AFC WIMBLEDON
3 BARROW
4 BLACKPOOL
5 BOLTON WANDERERS
6 BRADFORD CITY
7 BRISTOL ROVERS
8 BURTON ALBION
9 CAMBRIDGE UNITED
10 CARLISLE UNITED
11 CHARLTON ATHLETIC
12 CHELTENHAM TOWN
13 COLCHESTER UNITED
14 CRAWLEY TOWN
15 CREWE ALEXANDRA
16 DONCASTER ROVERS
17 EXETER CITY
18 FLEETWOOD TOWN
19 FOREST GREEN ROVERS
20 GILLINGHAM
21 GRIMSBY TOWN
22 HARROGATE TOWN
23 HULL CITY
24 IPSWICH TOWN
25 LEYTON ORIENT
26 LINCOLN CITY
27 MANSFIELD TOWN
28 MILTON KEYNES DONS
29 MORECAMBE
30 NEWPORT COUNTY
31 NORTHAMPTON TOWN
32 OLDHAM ATHLETIC
33 OXFORD UNITED
34 PETERBOROUGH UNITED
35 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE
36 PORT VALE
37 PORTSMOUTH
38 ROCHDALE
39 SALFORD CITY
40 SCUNTHORPE UNITED
41 SHREWSBURY TOWN
42 SOUTHEND UNITED
43 STEVENAGE
44 SUNDERLAND
45 SWINDON TOWN
46 TRANMERE ROVERS
47 WALSALL
48 WIGAN ATHLETIC
49 DARLINGTON 
50 SKELMERSDALE UNITED
51 SOLIHULL MOORS
52 BANBURY UNITED 
53 SOUTH SHIELDS 
54 HARTLEPOOL UNITED
55 FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER 
56 BRACKLEY TOWN 
57 KING'S LYNN TOWN
58 CHESTERFIELD
59 AFC FYLDE 
60 MARINE
61 CRAY VALLEY (PM)
62 CANVEY ISLAND 
63 HAYES & YEADING UNITED
64 BROMLEY
65 TONBRIDGE ANGELS 
66 HAMPTON & RICHMOND BOROUGH
67 WOKING
68 MALDON & TIPTREE 
69 DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE
70 BARNET
71 OXFORD CITY
72 EASTBOURNE BOROUGH
73 EASTLEIGH
74 TORQUAY UNITED
75 HAVANT & WATERLOOVILLE
76 BOREHAM WOOD 
77 YEOVIL TOWN
78 BISHOP'S STORTFORD OR ST ALBANS CITY
79 CONCORD RANGERS 
80 CHORLEY

It's also live on BBC Two but for some reason that seems to have been omitted from all of the official releases for some reason!

At this point I'd normally be eagerly checking rail routes to potential opponents and the like. Well, in reality, I'd "normally" have been waiting until the third round to carry out such annual frivolities, but such is the life of being a Bolton fan.

As it is, a "winnable" home tie is probably the best I can hope for. Desperately wanted to avoid Chorley, FC United or Skem, partly because it would be a shame not to be able to attend such a game, and partly because we'd never live down our inevitable defeat....

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 1

All ties to be played behind closed doors. No additional money to cover costs. Only 16 of the 40 will be on TV. The rest can be streamed. But note comment about no extra money.