Football

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’ve been told the RSPCA have been into Spurs and banned all the players from owning a dog. Apparently non of them now how to hold a lead. 

A lot of my mates a spurs fans and I genuinely don't know how they do it at times, its soul crushing, and I've been a Leeds fan for the past 20 years! 😂

• MANCHESTER CITY v Borussia Dortmund
  • Bayern Munich v Paris Saint-Germain
  • Porto v CHELSEA
  • Real Madrid v LIVERPOOL
  • Real Madrid/Liverpool v Porto/Chelsea
  • Bayern Munich/PSG v Manchester City/Borussia Dortmund
Edited by Bleep1673

I don't often post on the football thread, but I shall make an exception now. Many of you know that I am a long time fan of Manchester City (though nowadays I much prefer TGG), and I am heartily sick of all the media speculation about a 'quadruple'. STFU! All any of this does is set us up for a fall. If and when City do win the quadruple, then you can fill your papers and pundit shows with any amount of reporting.

Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

5 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I don't often post on the football thread, but I shall make an exception now. Many of you know that I am a long time fan of Manchester City (though nowadays I much prefer TGG), and I am heartily sick of all the media speculation about a 'quadruple'. STFU! All any of this does is set us up for a fall. If and when City do win the quadruple, then you can fill your papers and pundit shows with any amount of reporting.

Rant over.

‘First world’ football problem! 😉

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 13:13, Tommygilf said:

Starting to think Rangers' post-Christmas collapse isn't coming...

They were back to earth last night. Took defeat with their usual good grace also.

I think that they get the rub of the green in Scotland, then when in Europe, they are referreed stricter they can't cope. 

The racism claims are obviously a seperate issue and we don't know what was said. 

However, when one of their players kicks a player in the stomach on the floor seconds beforehand, then I don't think they can be surprised there was a reaction.

I don't know what you think about it. I was just expecting that if they went out it wouldn't be without incident. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

They were back to earth last night. Took defeat with their usual good grace also.

I think that they get the rub of the green in Scotland, then when in Europe, they are referreed stricter they can't cope. 

The racism claims are obviously a seperate issue and we don't know what was said. 

However, when one of their players kicks a player in the stomach on the floor seconds beforehand, then I don't think they can be surprised there was a reaction.

I don't know what you think about it. I was just expecting that if they went out it wouldn't be without incident. 

I didn’t see the whole game, Niels, but from what I did see there was a really unnecessary incident with Morelos at the fore in the first half at Ibrox.

It seemed to send temperatures soaring in the rest of what I did see.

I don’t have a dog in the race up there so to speak except for a soft spot for the ‘Bully Wee’.

30 minutes ago, Niels said:

I mean the racism stuff is obviously totally uncalled for and given the opposition I'm not surprised and inclined to believe it. 

That said I agree with you on Rangers this year. They've been used to getting their own way quite easily and the Refs have endorsed that to some extent. I've not seen the full game, but I'm not surprised at all if they became petulant and angry (which 2 sendings off indicates they did) when they started going behind.

It just seemed like a toxic environment from kick off to full time tbh. One I'm sure the police were glad there wasn't a crowd in for.

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I didn’t see the whole game, Niels, but from what I did see there was a really unnecessary incident with Morelos at the fore in the first half at Ibrox.

It seemed to send temperatures soaring in the rest of what I did see.

I don’t have a dog in the race up there so to speak except for a soft spot for the ‘Bully Wee’.

Is that Clyde?

I think they moved to Cumbernauld, a new town?

What did you think of the Champions league draw? 

6 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Rant over.

Can't wait for those days to be at Leeds!

15 minutes ago, Niels said:

Is that Clyde?

I think they moved to Cumbernauld, a new town?

What did you think of the Champions league draw? 

Yes, it’s Clyde, I think they’ve been struggling.

I think Chelsea will be happiest with the draw in the Champions League as I believe Porto will have players missing for the first leg and they’ll fancy beating Liverpool this year or an ageing Real Madrid, if they reach the semi finals.

Dortmund have got a better and more in form forward in Haaland who can turn any game, but I expect Man City to beat them over two legs.

Bayern vs PSG will be very interesting and I think the Paris side might knock them out however it’s hard to call.

What do you think?

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, it’s Clyde, I think they’ve been struggling.

I think Chelsea will be happiest with the draw in the Champions League as I believe Porto will have players missing for the first leg and they’ll fancy beating Liverpool this year or an ageing Real Madrid, if they reach the semi finals.

Dortmund have got a better and more in form forward in Haaland who can turn any game, but I expect Man City to beat them over two legs.

Bayern vs PSG will be very interesting and I think the Paris side might knock them out however it’s hard to call.

What do you think?

I agree with you. I think Chelsea and Liverpool will be most happy. 

I think now Chelsea has an experienced European manager they are very dangerous. Liverpool won't have the crowd at Anfield which makes such a difference. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made the final as by then they could be back in form. 

I will be watching the FA Cup quarter final tomorrow hoping my team Bournemouth can win, but we have some key players out unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niels said:

I agree with you. I think Chelsea and Liverpool will be most happy. 

I think now Chelsea has an experienced European manager they are very dangerous. Liverpool won't have the crowd at Anfield which makes such a difference. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they made the final as by then they could be back in form. 

I will be watching the FA Cup quarter final tomorrow hoping my team Bournemouth can win, but we have some key players out unfortunately.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Can't wait for those days to be at Leeds!

How do you think Leeds have done this year?

To me they have looked a bit vulnerable at the back (partly down to philosophy which doesn’t mean it has to change), but equally at their best they’ve matched the best teams in the league and looked a real handful.

If you’d have told me growing up that Leeds would be the favourite of the neutrals at any point I would have laughed, but this is certainly the case this year.

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How do you think Leeds have done this year?

To me they have looked a bit vulnerable at the back (partly down to philosophy which doesn’t mean it has to change), but equally at their best they’ve matched the best teams in the league and looked a real handful.

If you’d have told me growing up that Leeds would be the favourite of the neutrals at any point I would have laughed, but this is certainly the case this year.

I suppose it depends how you look at it.

If you see how Leeds have played this season then yeah you can say we're fragile at the back, concede far too many from set pieces etc. But that has to be in the context of an injury list that has been as bad or worse than Liverpool's. 

Equally, with that in mind and considering Leeds are newly promoted, I think this year has gone fantastically. Players have stepped up across the park and even those who are likely to be moved on this summer or next have matched themselves well in the Premier League. 

So whilst some results have been disappointing, its only because we've exceeded our initial expectations and set the bar higher.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean the racism stuff is obviously totally uncalled for and given the opposition I'm not surprised and inclined to believe it. 

That said I agree with you on Rangers this year. They've been used to getting their own way quite easily and the Refs have endorsed that to some extent. I've not seen the full game, but I'm not surprised at all if they became petulant and angry (which 2 sendings off indicates they did) when they started going behind.

It just seemed like a toxic environment from kick off to full time tbh. One I'm sure the police were glad there wasn't a crowd in for.

The issue about refs has been a problem for both of the gruesome twosome in Europe for as long as I can remember. I certainly remember it being remarked on in the 80s and 90s as well.

You don’t get your mystery time, penalties and rub of the green when it’s not some wide-eyed yokel from Penicuik blowing the whistle, do you?

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Man U have to play their regions TV station? 

Damn you Wiltshire Rhino!  I was reading this thread and was going to post the same response.  Although my other response was going to be ‘The lucky sods have been drawn against the company that used to rent out Tellys’.

Looks  like I will have to get up earlier next time to beat you 😄😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Damn you Wiltshire Rhino!  I was reading this thread and was going to post the same response.  Although my other response was going to be ‘The lucky sods have been drawn against the company that used to rent out Tellys’.

Looks  like I will have to get up earlier next time to beat you 😄😄

I wonder if Gerald Sinstadt will be doing the commentary?

• Haha 2

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 20/03/2021 at 12:22, gingerjon said:

The issue about refs has been a problem for both of the gruesome twosome in Europe for as long as I can remember. I certainly remember it being remarked on in the 80s and 90s as well.

You don’t get your mystery time, penalties and rub of the green when it’s not some wide-eyed yokel from Penicuik blowing the whistle, do you?

I can only speak from relatively recent experience but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been going on longer. There are only a few Leagues where a couple of clubs are so utterly dominant.

That said, at it does pain me to say it, Rangers have been genuinely very good in European (Europa League) competition recently. Whilst the other night may have been in part an example of a team used to getting their own way this year struggling to overcome a situation where it wasn't all falling for them, it was undoubtedly made more toxic as the game went on for reasons other than the football.

• Like 1

Interesting news from the women's game where the WSL has completed a deal worth an estimated £8m per year with Sky and the BBC. c.35 games and c.17 games to be live on main channels from both respectively. Deal starts from September 2021. Four specific time slots per weekend allocated.

We'd obviously want more money (and more games) but the framework is certainly one that we'd like.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting news from the women's game where the WSL has completed a deal worth an estimated £8m per year with Sky and the BBC. c.35 games and c.17 games to be live on main channels from both respectively. Deal starts from September 2021. Four specific time slots per weekend allocated.

We'd obviously want more money (and more games) but the framework is certainly one that we'd like.

Yeah I thought similar too. The sport, and Sky, benefit from the exposure of the game on the Beeb leading people who want more to get sky sports for it. Right now we're in the opposite stance, we want more on TV but don't have the exposure and can't even pay for it!

Its the first time the WSL rights have been sold separately, and for the BBC and Sky its something they want to associate themselves with.

• Like 1