Football

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

So Southend & Grimsby get relegated from the EFL, now they are threatening to sue somebody because of their uselesness, They are saying they shouldn't be relegated because no-one is being relegated from the National League.

If they win their appeal then I look forward to Swindon Town et al being saved from relegation to Division 4 because "no one is being relegated from Division 4". 

Sheffield Wednesday et al will be saved from relegation to Division 3 and then no relegation from the PL. 

But then we'd get the counter suing from the "promoted" clubs. 

Of course none of this will happen as Southend and Grimsby will be relegated. 

I will be watching Swindon Town playing in Division 4 next season. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 10/05/2021 at 15:34, Robin Evans said:

Aye.... but next season the may hold the dubious distinction of being south yorks no1..... which amuses me no end.🤣

rather be Gr M/cr no 1. or West Midlands no 1.

32 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Major League Soccer USA, is that it? No promotion or relegation? Are there State Leagues, not colleges, which I am sure are allowed.

USL Championship is a sort of second tier pro league.  No promotion of course to MLS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USL_Championship

OT. Premier league renew tv deal for a mere 4.7billion.  Most watched league of any sport in the world, hmmm it's a funny old world. 

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

So if the FA Cup Final is being used as one of the test events, why is no one wearing a mask over their nose & mouth?

How is this a "test event"? Testing how many more people we can cross infect than Cheltenham?

24 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

How is this a "test event"? Testing how many more people we can cross infect than Cheltenham?

Everyone there had to prove they had a negative Covid test in last 48hrs. That isn't absolutely a guarantee there are no infectious fans there,  but it's a 'test' I suppose to see if normality can be restored totally in the near future. I would hope these fans are contacted and retested in the coming days or the test event element would be wasted.

VAR strikes again!

I've always been of the opinion that if everybody in the stadium thinks it's a goal, then they shouldn't be going to a video referee to find reasons to chalk it off. Also, if the incident had resulted in a corner and Chelsea had scored from the corner then it would be OK. 

It's a bit like the Phil Gould argument about obstruction in the NRL, anywhere else on the field it isn't given but as soon as points are involved it gets chalked off.

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

VAR strikes again!

I've always been of the opinion that if everybody in the stadium thinks it's a goal, then they shouldn't be going to a video referee to find reasons to chalk it off. Also, if the incident had resulted in a corner and Chelsea had scored from the corner then it would be OK. 

It's a bit like the Phil Gould argument about obstruction in the NRL, anywhere else on the field it isn't given but as soon as points are involved it gets chalked off.

Except it wasn't a goal it was offside. Offside is not subjective it is either offside or not. Before VAR the ref wouldn't have spotted it we were all reasonably happy with that,  but if you use technology then you end up measuring millimetres . The answer is to change the rule, I would prefer only player's feet to count if it's offside. 

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Except it wasn't a goal it was offside. Offside is not subjective it is either offside or not. Before VAR the ref wouldn't have spotted it we were all reasonably happy with that,  but if you use technology then you end up measuring millimetres . The answer is to change the rule, I would prefer only player's feet to count if it's offside. 

My opinion as well , it's called football , so use the foot 

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

This is the argument that has been used to justify all issues with the Video Ref since 1995. 

If this is the case, why not just have a team of Video referees able to judge on every single aspect of the game? After all, if the ball has gone out of play it's gone out, if a player has fouled another player it's a foul, if it's touched the hand anywhere on the pitch it's handball etc.

The reason we don't do this is because we make a judgement that the benefits don't outweigh the negative effects on the spectacle. It's not about fairness or we'd have a team constantly watching for every tiny infringement.

This is where VAR is failing, and is where the VR has failed for a long time in RL. IMO if it used it should be used for clear and obvious mistakes, not seeking out the most minor infringements where no real advantage was created. Either that or create a captain's challenge. My favourite system of any is the tennis system because it is only used when a player thinks a mistake has been made.

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

It doesn’t matter where you move the line to as long as you use VAR you will still end up with a point we’re you are measuring millimetres

43 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It doesn’t matter where you move the line to as long as you use VAR you will still end up with a point we’re you are measuring millimetres

Agreed, but if you only use player's feet, then you won't end up giving offside because a player's shoulder,  armpit or forelock is offside. I believe Arsene Wenger new FIFA advisor is working towards such a change in the law. But millimetres will still be measured. In cricket you don't say if a player is out by millimetres it shouldn't count, nor should you be any more lenient in football or any game with VR. In football unlike most other sports referees mistakes can cost millions,  if an awarding of unlawful goal happens in the last two rounds of the season and Leicester or Liverpool are denied a top four place then that's a 30 million pound error. 

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Correct , that IS the whole point , what other option do you suggest ?

It's 8 years since I've been to Wembley ( the 13 FA cup Final ) , and looking at the pictures now I see they've all but got rid of the parking either side of Wembley way , with blocks of flats now occupying those areas 

So as I understand it , Wembley is our National stadium , but now you have to use public transport to access it , an absolute disgrace IMO 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So as I understand it , Wembley is our National stadium , but now you have to use public transport to access it , an absolute disgrace IMO 

Yes, aside from the 3,000 official parking spaces there are no parking spaces at Wembley.

An absolute disgrace.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Except it wasn't a goal it was offside. Offside is not subjective it is either offside or not. 

The technology isn't 100% accurate though - as, indeed, the people who run it are happy to admit - as there remain margins of error. It's why, as an example, in cricket they retain "Umpire's Call" to go with the onfield decision for times when the analysis falls within that margin.

But football ignores those margins and pretends the tech is infallible.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, aside from the 3,000 official parking spaces there are no parking spaces at Wembley.

An absolute disgrace.

Are those car parking spaces ? , A whole 3,000 for a 96,000 capacity stadium ?