Football

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Correct , that IS the whole point , what other option do you suggest ?

I’m not suggesting any option as I don’t think moving the line changes anything. People will still be arguing over millimetres no matter what. I get HawkMans suggestion to just measure the feet but I’ve heard plenty moan about a goal being chalked off because thay are a toenail offside. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's 8 years since I've been to Wembley ( the 13 FA cup Final ) , and looking at the pictures now I see they've all but got rid of the parking either side of Wembley way , with blocks of flats now occupying those areas 

So as I understand it , Wembley is our National stadium , but now you have to use public transport to access it , an absolute disgrace IMO 

You of all people should know about RL fans love of going to the game on the train. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

I’m not suggesting any option as I don’t think moving the line changes anything. People will still be arguing over millimetres no matter what. I get HawkMans suggestion to just measure the feet but I’ve heard plenty moan about a goal being chalked off because thay are a toenail offside. 

I've not seen anybody playing barefoot in the PL , other than beach football I've never seen anybody playing footy without footwear , I did one see a hockey match in NZ with a couple of lads in bear feet , I was wincing watching it 😱

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You of all people should know about RL fans love of going to the game on the train. 

I'd be interested to see if a reduction of available coach parking at Wembley has affected attendances from the heartlands in both RL and football 

Always said the countries National Stadium should have been built at the NEC in Birmingham , central location with all the required facilities available near by 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Are those car parking spaces ? , A whole 3,000 for a 96,000 capacity stadium ?

Those are car parking spaces. General ones.

There are additional ones for blue badge holders and coaches.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd be interested to see if a reduction of available coach parking at Wembley has affected attendances from the heartlands in both RL and football 

Always said the countries National Stadium should have been built at the NEC in Birmingham , central location with all the required facilities available near by 

Land was offered at the time too they even offered to change the name of the area to Wembley. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

Land was offered at the time too they even offered to change the name of the area to Wembley. 

(Unrelated to my general humour at dear old Gubbie finding literally anything to moan about but ...)

It was absolutely ridiculous that given the options of putting the national stadium literally anywhere else, including more accessible bits of London and genuinely accessible in Brum, they chose to rebuild on the exact same site.

And they *still* knocked down the Twin Towers which was the only thing which made Wembley interesting.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

(Unrelated to my general humour at dear old Gubbie finding literally anything to moan about but ...)

It was absolutely ridiculous that given the options of putting the national stadium literally anywhere else, including more accessible bits of London and genuinely accessible in Brum, they chose to rebuild on the exact same site.

And they *still* knocked down the Twin Towers which was the only thing which made Wembley interesting.

I’m going to leave this now as I feel that by bringing you two together I’ve achieved something. My work here is done. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bobbruce said:

I’m going to leave this now as I feel that by bringing you two together I’ve achieved something. My work here is done. 

Shakes fist at bobbruce, my nemesis ...

• Haha 1

Naïve team playing unsustainable football liable at any time to burnout play strong traditional British side at their place with 4 games left in the season and win 4-0, what is the world coming to!

Edited by Tommygilf

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Naïve team playing unsustainable football liable at any time to burnout play strong traditional British side at their place with 4 games left in the season and win 4-0, what is the world coming to!

I was confused for a minute as I thought this was an opaque reference to last night's women's Champions League final and I couldn't make it work.

Then I remembered that Leeds fans rival the Scots for their ability to hold a grudge.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was confused for a minute as I thought this was an opaque reference to last night's women's Champions League final and I couldn't make it work.

Then I remembered that Leeds fans rival the Scots for their ability to hold a grudge.

What about Scottish Leeds fans?

I suppose its been nice for the team to have some motivation and its been hard to forget considering most (generally non Leeds focussed) pundits have brought it up throughout the 3 seasons Bielsa has been at the club. That and Bielsa not speaking English.

Edited by Tommygilf

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What about Scottish Leeds fans?

Christ, can you imagine?

I like Bielsa and his zero fudges given approach. The issue about fatigue is, I think, a valid one, given the workrate that he expects (and gets from) his players. But it is rather overegged.

On 16/05/2021 at 09:36, gingerjon said:

Yes, aside from the 3,000 official parking spaces there are no parking spaces at Wembley.

An absolute disgrace.

Crud. Nobody should drive to Wembley,  it encourages drink driving, traffic congestion & pollution. 

I used to have a neighbour who worked as a steward at all events, and I remember she told me tube was the best way, to & from on event days.

Edited by Bleep1673

Question:

What is the longest journey, by time or distance, any domestic (of any nation) has to travel for an away game?

For example, if Vladivostock has a team in Russia's top division, do they have to play St Petersburg?

I think in England it is Hartlepool/Torquay.

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Question:

What is the longest journey, by time or distance, any domestic (of any nation) has to travel for an away game?

For example, if Vladivostock has a team in Russia's top division, do they have to play St Petersburg?

I think in England it is Hartlepool/Torquay.

There are some NZ teams in Australian domestic leagues which, for, say, Perth Glory v Wellington, is over 3,000 miles each way.

Kaliningrad has a team in the second tier in Russian football. Not sure where all the other places are - wiki doesn't have a map - but just found that for their away day to Krasnoyarsk they will have to travel 3,349 miles each way.

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

That’s a long time on the bus 

Related: Orkney, Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man all have teams in non league football. That's a nice 'bonding' trip via the ferry for Orkney every other week. I think the others fly.

EURO 2020 will soon be here,  TV schedule has been revealed for the group stage.

Friday, 11 June

Turkey v Italy (20:00) - BBC

Saturday, 12 June

Wales v Switzerland (14:00) - BBC

Denmark v Finland (17:00) - BBC

Belgium v Russia(20:00) - ITV

Sunday, 13 June

England v Croatia(14:00) - BBC

Austria v North Macedonia(17:00) - ITV

Netherlands v Ukraine (20:00) - ITV

Monday, 14 June

Scotland v Czech Republic(14:00) - BBC

Poland v Slovakia(17:00) - ITV

Spain v Sweden (20:00) - BBC

Tuesday, 15 June

Hungary v Portugal (17:00) - ITV

France v Germany (20:00) - ITV

Wednesday, 16 June

Finland v Russia (14:00) - BBC

Turkey v Wales (17:00) - BBC

Italy v Switzerland (20:00) - ITV

Thursday, 17 June

Ukraine v North Macedonia (14:00) - ITV

Denmark v Belgium (17:00) - ITV

Netherlands v Austria (20:00) - BBC

Friday, 18 June

Sweden v Slovakia (14:00) - BBC

Croatia v Czech Republic (17:00) - BBC

England v Scotland (20:00) - ITV

Saturday, 19 June

Hungary v France(14:00) - BBC

Portugal v Germany (17:00) - ITV

Spain v Poland (20:00) - BBC

Sunday, 20 June

Italy v Wales (17:00) - ITV

Switzerland v Turkey (17:00) - ITV

Monday, 21 June

North Macedonia v Netherlands (17:00) - ITV

Ukraine v Austria(17:00) - ITV

Finland v Belgium (20:00) - BBC

Russia v Denmark(20:00) - BBC

Tuesday, 22 June

Croatia v Scotland (20:00) - ITV

Czech Republic v England (20:00) - ITV

Wednesday, 23 June

Slovakia v Spain (17:00) - ITV

Sweden v Poland(17:00) - ITV

Germany v Hungary (20:00) - BBC

Portugal v France(20:00) - BBC

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

EURO 2020 will soon be here,  TV schedule has been revealed for the group stage.

Friday, 11 June

Turkey v Italy (20:00) - BBC

Saturday, 12 June

Wales v Switzerland (14:00) - BBC

Denmark v Finland (17:00) - BBC

Belgium v Russia(20:00) - ITV

Sunday, 13 June

England v Croatia(14:00) - BBC

Austria v North Macedonia(17:00) - ITV

Netherlands v Ukraine (20:00) - ITV

Monday, 14 June

Scotland v Czech Republic(14:00) - BBC

Poland v Slovakia(17:00) - ITV

Spain v Sweden (20:00) - BBC

Tuesday, 15 June

Hungary v Portugal (17:00) - ITV

France v Germany (20:00) - ITV

Wednesday, 16 June

Finland v Russia (14:00) - BBC

Turkey v Wales (17:00) - BBC

Italy v Switzerland (20:00) - ITV

Thursday, 17 June

Ukraine v North Macedonia (14:00) - ITV

Denmark v Belgium (17:00) - ITV

Netherlands v Austria (20:00) - BBC

Friday, 18 June

Sweden v Slovakia (14:00) - BBC

Croatia v Czech Republic (17:00) - BBC

England v Scotland (20:00) - ITV

Saturday, 19 June

Hungary v France(14:00) - BBC

Portugal v Germany (17:00) - ITV

Spain v Poland (20:00) - BBC

Sunday, 20 June

Italy v Wales (17:00) - ITV

Switzerland v Turkey (17:00) - ITV

Monday, 21 June

North Macedonia v Netherlands (17:00) - ITV

Ukraine v Austria(17:00) - ITV

Finland v Belgium (20:00) - BBC

Russia v Denmark(20:00) - BBC

Tuesday, 22 June

Croatia v Scotland (20:00) - ITV

Czech Republic v England (20:00) - ITV

Wednesday, 23 June

Slovakia v Spain (17:00) - ITV

Sweden v Poland(17:00) - ITV

Germany v Hungary (20:00) - BBC

Portugal v France(20:00) - BBC

Who is this ‘Scotland’ they speak of 😉?

They let any old country in these days!

While it’s not the ‘Group of Death’, I do think England might find it less than straightforward.

Looking forward to seeing France-Portugal-Germany duke it out in their group.

Spain are my favourites.

Turkey would be my dark horse outsider to spring a few surprises if they can upset Italy in the group.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Obviously want England to win , but failing that a Belgium victory would be great. It's now or never for the Belgian golden generation. 

Edited by HawkMan