Football

Be good but i can just never us see us winning anything . We’re a quarter final side or semi if we do really well then we find a way of bombing out or are just not good enough and technically deficient against who we come up against

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

This Hull City fan makes some good points about the state of the English Football Pyramid 

I'm going to have to trust you on this because he's been going for seven minutes and it's still a very generalised, general introduction.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm going to have to trust you on this because he's been going for seven minutes and it's still a very generalised, general introduction.

To be fair, whilst I think he really could interrogate this a lot more, he's doing a decent job of covering some of the issues and, unlike some, not flinching from just how many clubs are in very serious trouble.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Tut-tut. The youth of today and their short attention spell 😉 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Tut-tut. The youth of today and their short attention spell 😉 

Fair. I did watch it all in the end.

I have a few issues with it. In that I don't think he really grasps where a lot of the issues come from, or he ignores them if they don't suit his simple narrative. Bury, for example, didn't go bust because of TV money in the Premier League or chasing promotion, they, like many others, went bust because their owner was out of his depth and, broadly, attempting an asset strip. He also ignores the thirty-odd years of decline that happened from the high point attendances he quotes which had very little to do with his main themes.

Obviously, I do agree that the pursuit of riches has, for many, become corrupting and there are huge systemic issues with the game, particularly once you go to League 1/2 and below. But, again, part of that is that you have FAs and league committees who seem absolutely hell bent on missing the point time and again.

Lastly, I'd argue that, in spite of all that, this isn't really a bad time to be a football supporter. There is more awareness of non league football than at any point I can remember - probably since the days of the FA Amateur Cup final being a big deal. Women's football is growing and offers more opportunities for support/participation/engagement. Sunday leagues may be declining but recreation six-a-sides (etc) are doing well.

That's not me being rose-tinted because there are issues but, y'know, it's not all gloomy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

As a Swindon Town fan I have to disagree with you on this bit. 😉 😭

Gloomy? But you've got a new experience next season to look forward to, a visit to Gander Green Lane. Well done Sutton Utd. 

Yeah, I've put up a fair few Darren Farley vids up, just recently come across his stuff. Funny and spot on.

Edited by HawkMan

Well done Brentford. Griffin Park was a really nice ground, a bit empty for Broncos games, their new ground looks fine for Premiership football, transport links a good, loads of food outlets & a decent hospital all close by.