Football

Meanwhile, Ian Rush's latest career move is all about making non league clubs homeless.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 15/06/2021 at 10:52, gingerjon said:

Meanwhile, Ian Rush's latest career move is all about making non league clubs homeless.

Abingdon has two football clubs. Town are the original and then a second were founded, called "United" with disregard for what words mean.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...

All happening today, 

Benitez to Everton- YES good move.

Sancho to Manchester United- YES good move.

Espirito Santo to Tottenham- hmmm don't know, I wanted Benitez at Spurs.

And apparently Viera to Palace,  with half the team out of contract and Zaha possibly going,  I don't think this will end well.

Edited by HawkMan

28 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Espirito Santo to Tottenham- hmmm don't know

Can moving to Spurs be a good move for anyone, at present?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

All happening today, 

Benitez to Everton- YES good move.

Sancho to Manchester United- YES good move.

Espirito Santo to Tottenham- hmmm don't know, I wanted Benitez at Spurs.

And apparently Viera to Palace,  with half the team out of contract and Zaha possibly going,  I don't think this will end well.

Benitez to Everton it’s potentially a good move but doubt he will be given a chance. 

Sanchez to Utd jury still out not convinced he’s worth that sort of money. 

Espírito Santo to Spurs is the most likely of the 3 to work. 

I honestly don’t know what to think about this . He’s here now so let’s see what happens . I certainly think though that when you get a manager you’ve got to come together and support them and the team , or you’re just being totally counterproductive . I’d have been gutted mind if he’d ditched Big Dunc

• Like 1

This is huge, I'd imagine all the big clubs will be clamouring for his signature. His salary as a free agent will be astronomical:

Manchester City, Paris St-Germain - this is not a drill. One of the world's greatest players is now officially a free agent.

Yes, 12 months on from his aborted attempted to leave Barcelona, Lionel Messi is now out of contract.

The Argentine superstar's deal expired at midnight and despite months of rumour and conjecture, he has failed to commit to an extension.

Talks over a new contract are believed to be ongoing, meaning Messi may well decide to stay at the Nou Camp.

But, for now, he is available for absolutely nothing.

Lionel Messi contract: Barcelona star becomes a free agent - BBC Sport

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is huge, I'd imagine all the big clubs will be clamouring for his signature. His salary as a free agent will be astronomical:

Manchester City, Paris St-Germain - this is not a drill. One of the world's greatest players is now officially a free agent.

Yes, 12 months on from his aborted attempted to leave Barcelona, Lionel Messi is now out of contract.

The Argentine superstar's deal expired at midnight and despite months of rumour and conjecture, he has failed to commit to an extension.

Talks over a new contract are believed to be ongoing, meaning Messi may well decide to stay at the Nou Camp.

But, for now, he is available for absolutely nothing.

Lionel Messi contract: Barcelona star becomes a free agent - BBC Sport

Interestingly, Hastings CEO did just tweet that they're going to announce a big deal later.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I don't think there is anyone with balls big enough to have "that" meeting with Big Dunc 🤣

I did laugh when Rafa said yesterday he was really struggling with Big Dunc’s accent !

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Interestingly, Hastings CEO did just tweet that they're going to announce a big deal later.

I've said in the past that if I was a superstar footballer who'd earned 10s of millions over my career, I'd make a move like that towards the end of my career basically just for the banter of it!

• Haha 1

Swindon Town 

Transfer embargo

Possible points deduction 

9 senior players

No manager

No money

Pre season not yet started

Friendlies being cancelled or set back

Ongoing court case

Takeover up in the air

Season starts in about 5 weeks 😬

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon Town 

Transfer embargo

9 senior players

No manager

No money

Ongoing court case

Takeover up in the air

This is happening far, far too often.

I'd be checking who owns the deeds to your ground.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This is happening far, far too often.

I'd be checking who owns the deeds to your ground.

Swindon Borough Council... 

...who have announced, today, they've start court proceedings to get unpaid rent dating back to April last year. 

The takeover is happening, apparently, but we'll see. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Thanks 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon Borough Council... 

...who have announced, today, they've start court proceedings to get unpaid rent dating back to April last year. 

The takeover is happening, apparently, but we'll see. 

Good luck with it all. It's sounding all a bit tortuous.

• Thanks 1

Many rugby league teams signing five-figure shirt sponsorship deals?

And, yes, that is just for the women's shirt. The men's side has a different sponsor.

23 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon Town 

Transfer embargo

9 senior players

No manager

No money

Ongoing court case

Takeover up in the air

English football model down to a T sadly

Tickets for two matches in the women's Euro next year bought. Both at Southampton, one involving England.