Football

I'm sure everybody's aware that the 2026 WC will have 48 teams taking part , well according to Wiki , this is how the extra 16 places will be allocated .

Asia 8 (up from 4.5)

Africa 9 (up from 5)

CONCACAF +6 (up from 3.5)

South America 6(up from 4.5)

UEFA 16 (up from 13)

Oceania 1 (up from 0.5

Plus their will be 2 more from a 6 team play off , but no UEFA nation will be able to take part .

7 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I'm sure everybody's aware that the 2026 WC will have 48 teams taking part , well according to Wiki , this is how the extra 16 places will be allocated .

Asia 8 (up from 4.5)

Africa 9 (up from 5)

UEFA 16 (up from 13)

Oceania 1 (up from 0.5

Plus their will be 2 more from a 6 team play off , but no UEFA nation will be able to take part .

Take out the Falkland Islands (United Kingdom) and French Guiana (France) and that means half of South America will qualify. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

16 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Asia 8 (up from 4.5)

Africa 9 (up from 5)

UEFA 16 (up from 13)

Oceania 1 (up from 0.5

There must be a real financial benefit to being in UEFA or else you'd think it would make more sense for the likes of Azerbaijan to "do an Australia" and shift to a different federation.

Mind you, looking at that, I'd also expect Australia to do an Australia and move back to Oceania.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyone missing the Euros can watch The Gold Cup, Nth and Central America's version on FREESPORTS Ch 422 on sky box. All games shown complete but not live. Basically 24hrs after the event,  but as it's easy to avoid results you can watch as live. I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. Tonight 8pm Qatar vs Panama followed by Honduras vs Greneda. Qatar are a guest team in preparation for '22. They actually look OK, won't embarrass themselves next year. Saw their match with Panama already repeated tonight, and it was some second half.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There must be a real financial benefit to being in UEFA or else you'd think it would make more sense for the likes of Azerbaijan to "do an Australia" and shift to a different federation.

Mind you, looking at that, I'd also expect Australia to do an Australia and move back to Oceania.

I don't know how Australia wangled their way into Asia , but I don't think a Nation can just move from one federation to another that easily . As for Aus plying in Asia , I would imagine it benefits both sides , the Australian national team and club sides playing in a much higher quality competition than Oceania can only improve their standards , and long term , it can only benefit Asia having another strong nation to help raise standards in the Asian federation .

• Like 1

Arbroath F.C. is the closest ground to the sea in the world according to wiki. One road between the ground & the North Sea, it must be bitter during the storms in Winter.

Dundee, and Dundee United are the closest teams that don't groundshare. 

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

All is not well at SN1 😭

And there's also plenty of "allegedlies" that a national newspaper won't be able to mention. 🤬

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/16/no-manager-not-enough-players-how-swindon-town-were-left-to-fall-apart?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true&s=09

I read this and, whilst it's interesting, it felt like there had been a more damning article that has since been gutted by the lawyers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, yanto said:

Is this UK only ??

Check out Ijsselmere Vogels and Spakenberg 🙃

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2565148,5.3773245,258m/data=!3m1!1e3

Impressive.

Dundee are moving to a new ground soon so the Dutch will have no competition for neighbourliness.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 17:53, yanto said:

Is this UK only ??

Check out Ijsselmere Vogels and Spakenberg 🙃

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2565148,5.3773245,258m/data=!3m1!1e3

I've tried to get tickets for the Spakenberg derby before, it's looks like a right knees up!

The funny thing is, that both teams usually fill their grounds for derby days but usually get a few hundred watching them, they both indulged in a bit of "one-upmanship" over the years, trying to outdo each other with bigger, more, impressive stands 😃

Edited by meast
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2021 at 11:03, gingerjon said:

Tickets for two matches in the women's Euro next year bought. Both at Southampton, one involving England.

Good stuff. Would I be correct that you registered with UEFA in order to get them this early?

I was very pleased the other day when I looked at the Euro 2022 fixtures and saw that England are playing at St Mary's and also in Brighton (including a second time for the QF if they top the group).

I've never been to the Brighton stadium, so I plan to go to that game as well as the St Mary's one.

8 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Good stuff. Would I be correct that you registered with UEFA in order to get them this early?

I did. I think that window has now closed so there will be general sale next.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've never been to the Brighton stadium, so I plan to go to that game as well as the St Mary's one.

A couple of years ago when Brighton were in the Championship I took my daughter to the Amex to see them play Leicester, Brighton won 3-0, City still went up and Won the Premier League soon after.

New Aussie owner at Swindon Town. Plenty of interaction/communication with fans including installing a Fans Trust member as CEO of the club and members of the Trust and Official Supporters Clubs will have a place on the board. So far, so good. 

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/july/club-statement/

New home kit, with a nod to our history, and an Aussie inspired away kit announced 

Our fan base is very pleased to have our club back! 😀 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

21 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

New Aussie owner at Swindon Town. Plenty of interaction/communication with fans including installing a Fans Trust member as CEO of the club and members of the Trust and Official Supporters Clubs will have a place on the board. So far, so good. 

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/july/club-statement/

New home kit, with a nod to our history, and an Aussie inspired away kit announced 

Our fan base is very pleased to have our club back! 😀 

Despite hating anything Red out of principle, I quite like the home kit.

On 15/07/2021 at 09:28, Bleep1673 said:

Arbroath F.C. is the closest ground to the sea in the world according to wiki. One road between the ground & the North Sea, it must be bitter during the storms in Winter.

Dundee, and Dundee United are the closest teams that don't groundshare. 

Looking at the Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 maps, I'd say Caledonian Stadium in Inverness gives it a run for its money. That is if you class the Moray Firth as the sea.

As for the closest teams/stadiums, certainly in Scottish senior football (albeit just south of the border), Lowland League Berwick Rangers play at Shielfield Park. Tweedbank Rangers, of the East of Scotland League, play next door at Old Shielfield. The two grounds share a boundary wall.

Edited by Methven Hornet

Oranje Dames bang in 8 against China.

That's 21 goals in three games.

Bring on the  USA .🙃

Eight against is a worry but never short of goals when the Dutch play.

Edited by yanto