Football

After being forced into the Combined Counties League against our will, Beckenham Town we won our first match yesterday at home to Jersey Bulls (Who are pretty much the only team we need to beat this season) hopefully we will be out of it  next season and back playing the likes of Whitstable Town/Herne Bay/Faversham Town/Hythe Town/Ramsgate etc and maybe Chatham Town or Sheppey United from our old league will join us.

FA clueless bunch of muppets 😞 at our level ALL WE WANT IS LOCAL DERBIES :))))

Paul

• Like 1

Despite the media and lots of "mainstream" football fans thinking otherwise, the FA Cup starts this weekend, 348 teams contesting the extra preliminary round.

Why not get to your local club and support them?

I'll be watching Emley hopefully beating Congleton Town and earning a trip to City of Liverpool.

19 hours ago, meast said:

All being well I will be watching Bexhill United's 'home' cup tie which will be taking place at Hastings' Pilot Field owing to Bexhill's ground still being a cricket field at this time of year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, meast said:

So is Emley, but they just moved the game to Sunday so all good 👍

Bexhill's set up - it's also a public park when not being used for sport - means that it has to be one or the other. They play away to bookend the season. Not entered the FA Cup for a while so this is the first time it's been an issue for a bit.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Galatasaray vs St Johnstone live on BBC Scotland from 7pm in the Europa League qualifiers.

Gala got really hammered off PSV Eindhoven in the previous round of the Champions League qualifying to drop into this.

Be a huge scalp for the Saints who won both cups in Scotland last year and are 6/1 underdogs tonight.

19 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Messi to leave Barcelona according to club’s website.

Unable to sort a new contract amidst their financial woes.

Should turbo charge the rest of the transfer windows with incomings and outgoings at a few clubs as part of the fall out.

Big mates with Rafa Benitez … watch this space 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I would like to see him in the Premier League even if he’s reaching the twilight of his career.

I'd absolutely love that, but I reckon PSG might be his preferred choice. I hope I'm wrong though. It would be amazing to see him at St Mary's, even though I know it would be him destroying us.

20 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I would like to see him in the Premier League even if he’s reaching the twilight of his career.

I don’t know if it was a misprint but I’ve just read he was on £100 million a year ?

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know if it was a misprint but I’ve just read he was on £100 million a year ?

4 times the yearly SL contract for one player, yep its true that is what I read he's on. Messi to Everton? Well he's a bit young to retire from top class football.  I just don't want him to end up at Manchester City. Grealish Messi and Kane and it's over for the title for everyone else already. 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Galatasaray vs St Johnstone live on BBC Scotland from 7pm in the Europa League qualifiers.

Gala got really hammered off PSV Eindhoven in the previous round of the Champions League qualifying to drop into this.

Be a huge scalp for the Saints who won both cups in Scotland last year and are 6/1 underdogs tonight.

Honestly, I'm convinced I fell into a deep slumber around about January and that I'm dreaming all this. Winning the League Cup, the Scottish Cup and now holding a side like Galatasaray to a draw away from home. It's certainly a great time to be a Saints fan!

Someone just joked on social media that you can measure the relative stature of the two clubs by their sponsors: Turkish Airlines v Binn Skips, a local waste disposal company.

• Like 2

On 03/08/2021 at 11:39, meast said:

Despite the media and lots of "mainstream" football fans thinking otherwise, the FA Cup starts this weekend, 348 teams contesting the extra preliminary round.

I'll be watching Emley hopefully beating Congleton Town and earning a trip to City of Liverpool.

I saw a preliminary round match many years ago between Rossendale United and Chorley, notable for the first sending off of a goalkeeper for deliberately handling the ball outside of the penalty area to prevent a goalscoring chance (the rule having just been introduced). The decision led to a pitch invasion, well, one of two guys walked onto the pitch to remonstrate with the ref.

It's a few months until the first round of the Scottish Cup but I hope to watch local Perth side, Jeanfield Swifts, commence their cup journey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So Mr Grealish signs a 100 million pound contract 

Nice work if you can get it 

My son is a St Johnstone fan but his English team is Man City. As he has just said, signing a £100 million player is nothing in comparison to a battling draw away to Galatasaray

2 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

My son is a St Johnstone fan but his English team is Man City. As he has just said, signing a £100 million player is nothing in comparison to a battling draw away to Galatasaray

The people's game ? 😂

8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So Mr Grealish signs a 100 million pound contract 

Nice work if you can get it 

Given the amount of money that sloshes through sport, I'm all in favour of the players themselves getting as much of it as possible.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Given the amount of money that sloshes through sport, I'm all in favour of the players themselves getting as much of it as possible.

If there was genuine evidence of these mega rich players actually doing something constructively with some of their money as in the lower tiers of the sport then I'd feel more sympathetic towards them , but rarely do we see anything of the sort