Football

16 hours ago, Methven Hornet said:

Honestly, I'm convinced I fell into a deep slumber around about January and that I'm dreaming all this. Winning the League Cup, the Scottish Cup and now holding a side like Galatasaray to a draw away from home. It's certainly a great time to be a Saints fan!

Someone just joked on social media that you can measure the relative stature of the two clubs by their sponsors: Turkish Airlines v Binn Skips, a local waste disposal company.

St Johnstone,Dundalk,The New Saints,Shamrock Rovers, Glasgow Celtic.

The small clubs from Scotland, Ireland and Wales all excelled last night.😁

1 hour ago, yanto said:

St Johnstone,Dundalk,The New Saints,Shamrock Rovers, Glasgow Celtic.

The small clubs from Scotland, Ireland and Wales all excelled last night.😁

The New Saints are a ghastly cuckoo club from England.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A month ago it looked like my home town club might not start the season. In fact they might have ceased to exist. Court case over ownership, potential points deduction from EFL (still might happen), players and staff unpaid, our new management team left after a week, only 5 contracted players on the books (plus youth players), fans boycotting putting any money into the club until our owner had gone. I won't say what I think of him. 🤬

Then the court case went in favour of our Aussie "saviour" and in the last two weeks we've had more fan/club engagement than in the previous 8 years (probably ever). Our new CEO is an actual fan, there will be fan representation from the Official Supporters Club and Trust on the board. A new management team brought in, new players brought in, we now have the possibility of having quite a good starting XI (squad still short of cover apart from the kids). 

The changes have brought a real positivity around the town/county. Sales of season tickets and shirts are going well. About 1000 of us are heading to Scunthorpe today, realistic that this season could still be a struggle, but so pleased we have our club back! 😀 

My brother is picking me and 3 mates up in about 3hrs to head north. We haven't all travelled together to a opening game for 25 years. 

Win, lose or draw - WE ARE SWINDON! C'mon Town! 😀 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 2
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

21 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The New Saints are a ghastly cuckoo club from England.

Hmmm any different than Cardiff or Swansea playing in the English system or even Colwyn Bay who played in England at Northwich and Ellesmere Port from 91 to 2019.

Mergers ,buy outs happen.

What I know or remember TNS Llansantffraid were the ones who instigated the buy out of Oswestry Town ( an English club playing in Wales)  

Not sure how you can call them a cuckoo club 

8 minutes ago, yanto said:

Hmmm any different than Cardiff or Swansea playing in the English system or even Colwyn Bay who played in England at Northwich and Ellesmere Port from 91 to 2019.

Mergers ,buy outs happen.

What I know or remember TNS Llansantffraid were the ones who instigated the buy out of Oswestry Town ( an English club playing in Wales)  

Not sure how you can call them a cuckoo club 

Because they are a full time moneyed outfit based in England playing in a mostly part time Welsh league purely as a way of guaranteeing themselves European football.

Cuckoos.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just got back from Scunthorpe. 

What a day! 😀 

I remember Gordon Strachan once talking about how Scotland had provoked a sleeping giant when they dared to score first against Brazil. I think Scunthorpe made the same mistake today against the mighty Swindon.

On 07/08/2021 at 14:50, gingerjon said:

Because they are a full time moneyed outfit based in England playing in a mostly part time Welsh league purely as a way of guaranteeing themselves European football.

Cuckoos.

sorry didnt get back to this .Busy weekend,

Anyway TNS and their history shows they are not "an outfit based in England playing in a mostly part time Welsh league purely as a way of guaranteeing themselves European football."

Llansantffraid were quite successful in the early mid 90s and attracted the attention of Total Network Solutions an Oswestry based computer / IT company who became head sponsors. Name change to TNS Llansantffraid then later to just TSN.

2003 TSN merged / bought out a struggling Oswestry Town who despite being an English club played in the Welsh leagues.

TSN (the company) were then taken over by BT and the sponsorship of the club stopped. To keep the TSN name, for which they had become known, they changed to The New Saints which reflected The Saints....... knickname of the old Llansantffraid club.

You proberbly know all this but the " Cuckoo" part of your post is wrong.

The New Saints are a Welsh club ,who have ALWAYS played in the Welsh leagues, that attracted a sponsor, due to their on field success which in time allowed them to go full time (Barry Town were also full time). They then merge with another WELSH league club ( Oswestry Town) who happen to be 8 miles away in England and decided to play out of Oswestry. So never opted to play in the Welsh league "purely as a way of guaranteeing themselves European football."      They have always played in the Welsh league (as did Oswestry Town) .

On 27/08/2021 at 18:26, Wiltshire Rhino said:

It's official! Ronaldo will not be signing for Swindon Town 

Bit of a shame that Messi didn't go to Manchester City. That would have made for a good story. Not that the EPL is short of publicity and attention. Glad he signed for Utd the week after Saints had to play them, though.

My brother and I were out last night, discussing old grounds. We found out that by following Swindon Town we have been to 23 grounds that no longer exist.

M***r G****d, Elm Park, The Dell, Upton Park, Highbury, White Hart Lane, Griffin Park, The Den, Roker Park, Victoria Ground, Maine Road, Highfield Road, Ayresome Park, Burnden Park, Leeds Road, Vetch Field, Filbert Street, Baseball Ground, Boothferry Park, Bootham Crescent, Goldstone Ground, Gay Meadow, Millmoor. 

Made us feel old. 🤣

Goodison Park and Kenilworth Road to be added at a later date.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner