Football

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

@Wiltshire Rhino

If you’re not aware Sky Sports News are following Swindon Town’s new chairman today after being given open access to him throughout the day.

He comes across as a down to earth straightforward Aussie.

Worth tuning in throughout the day I imagine if you’re a big Swindon fan.

He seems a "bonzer" bloke! 😀 

• Haha 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

I happened to watch part of the Everton vs Manchester City WSL game on BBC1 at the weekend.

I saw two goals and can safely say that in City’s case the standard of play was very watchable and of a higher standard than in previous years.

Just from having a casual interest as sports fan, I am aware that there have been some high profile imports from abroad to the WSL this year.

Previously I’ve followed a bit of last day excitement involving Liverpool’s women’s team, but sadly they seem low down on the priority list for FSG and have not been competitive at the top for some time.

Fantastic week in the champions league,  I love it, the cream of Europe,  some great matches. Liverpool game against AC Milan exceptional. But how on earth did Liverpool, Milan, Atletico Madrid and Porto end up in the same group? 

Bayern destroy Barca, the Spaniards are really struggling this season. 

Edited by HawkMan

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Fantastic week in the champions league,  I love it, the cream of Europe,  some great matches. Liverpool game against AC Milan exceptional. But how on earth did Liverpool, Milan, Atletico Madrid and Porto end up in the same group? 

Bayern destroy Barca, the Spaniards are really struggling this season. 

Some of the groups sound strong, but I think some of that is legacy. Milan haven't played in the Champions League for ages? And any Premier league club could be the 4th best in the league and still be in the CL.

I do miss these games being on FTA. For so many kids, this was the only insight into the top clubs and top players. No wonder they all play fifa instead.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

No wonder they all play fifa instead.

It's not always this easy to spot the exact moment someone becomes old.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

All this newcastle talk is a million miles from my football experience this week.  Went to Crewe v Wigan, in the Papa Johns, who gives a monkeys Trophy and witnessed a truly awful spectacle, notable for being the first three figure crowd I've been in for a professional game.

Claims of 925 being there where greatly inflated! 

10 hours ago, shrek said:

All this newcastle talk is a million miles from my football experience this week.  Went to Crewe v Wigan, in the Papa Johns, who gives a monkeys Trophy and witnessed a truly awful spectacle, notable for being the first three figure crowd I've been in for a professional game.

Claims of 925 being there where greatly inflated! 

TBH, your mistake there was in going to an EFL Trophy game.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

TBH, your mistake there was in going to an EFL Trophy game.

Youngest was keen to go and all helps build his confidence with crowds and noise etc.

Not sure he's quite ready for our next away trip to a sold out away end at Bolton though, we'll be taking the ear defenders for sure!

1 hour ago, shrek said:

Youngest was keen to go and all helps build his confidence with crowds and noise etc

Aye, fair enough. Just don't let me catch you going to any games featuring B teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, fair enough. Just don't let me catch you going to any games featuring B teams.

We served the home game against Wolves U21s, watched it on TV instead...........

I do have an eye on late November when we play Cambridge away on the Tuesday night and then Plymouth on the Saturday.........................

Back in the day, I used to spend a fair bit of time standing on Liverpool’s Spion Kop.  During the prematch build up there would always be an impromptu chant of “Celtic” by some which would be met be a counter chant of “Rangers” by others - this might go on for a couple of minutes spreading through the whole of the Kop.  Being an awkward sod I would always shout “Clydebank!” which would raise a bit of a laugh to those around.

Without ageing myself too much, I’m of that vintage where adopting a Scottish team was a thing to do and the first half-half scarves or bobble hats were the ones I saw with Liverpool-Celtic or Liverpool-Rangers. Not surprisingly the ‘hat, scarf or your badges’ blokes around the ground didn’t do a Clydebank one.  But they were the ones for me in an era where Aberdeen and Dundee United in particular (and even Hearts) had really good teams as well as the Old Firm.

Anyway, I’ve just been flicking through an online sport on TV guide and Clydebank are playing Elgin City live in the Scottish Cup on BBC Scotland/BBC iPlayer in a fortnight on a Monday night so I’ll be in tuning in for the nostalgia trip.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed this International week/weekend of football.  The Nations League finals were really good games, the highlight being France vs Belgium. Both teams totally committed,  as were Italy and Spain.  Credit where it's due, the Nations League has been a success and given meaning to hitherto meaningless games played in between qualifiers. The Qatar qualifiers have been okay too, at least the games I've seen. Scotland vs Israel and Germany vs Romania I saw and enjoyed them both. Credit to UEFA for keeping the International game going during the pandemic. 

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I've really enjoyed this International week/weekend of football.  The Nations League finals were really good games, the highlight being France vs Belgium. Both teams totally committed,  as were Italy and Spain.  Credit where it's due, the Nations League has been a success and given meaning to hitherto meaningless games played in between qualifiers. The Qatar qualifiers have been okay too, at least the games I've seen. Scotland vs Israel and Germany vs Romania I saw and enjoyed them both. Credit to UEFA for keeping the International game going during the pandemic. 

I totally agree. Whilst I would like to see less interruption from the international fixtures, if its going to happen then the Nations League is definitely the best way to do it.

For England specifically, I think it is a major boost for our development. For so many years of my life, (bearing in mind I'm 24) we walked into international tournaments thinking we were great but we had only actually beaten Andorra or Moldova or the occasional 1 off against a Germany etc.

On 08/10/2021 at 13:48, Gerrumonside ref said:

Back in the day, I used to spend a fair bit of time standing on Liverpool’s Spion Kop.  During the prematch build up there would always be an impromptu chant of “Celtic” by some which would be met be a counter chant of “Rangers” by others - this might go on for a couple of minutes spreading through the whole of the Kop.  Being an awkward sod I would always shout “Clydebank!” which would raise a bit of a laugh to those around.

Without ageing myself too much, I’m of that vintage where adopting a Scottish team was a thing to do and the first half-half scarves or bobble hats were the ones I saw with Liverpool-Celtic or Liverpool-Rangers. Not surprisingly the ‘hat, scarf or your badges’ blokes around the ground didn’t do a Clydebank one.  But they were the ones for me in an era where Aberdeen and Dundee United in particular (and even Hearts) had really good teams as well as the Old Firm.

Anyway, I’ve just been flicking through an online sport on TV guide and Clydebank are playing Elgin City live in the Scottish Cup on BBC Scotland/BBC iPlayer in a fortnight on a Monday night so I’ll be in tuning in for the nostalgia trip.

The original Clydebank were bought out by Airdrie and lost their place in the league unfortunately.

I like watching the Scottish cup games on tv also, especially the earlier rounds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niels said:

The original Clydebank were bought out by Airdrie and lost their place in the league unfortunately.

Indeed.

Although, I believe, with some quirk of karma, that the original Clydebank got into the Scottish League by doing something unspeakable with East Stirlingshire.

Airdrie really would be as ostracised as MK Dons if folk were consistent.

• Like 2