Football

1 hour ago, Niels said:

The original Clydebank were bought out by Airdrie and lost their place in the league unfortunately.

I like watching the Scottish cup games on tv also, especially the earlier rounds. 

Yes, I have an inverted bucket list in which watching a Clydebank home game as well as the Bully Wee (Clyde - my father’s adopted Scottish team) at their home ground is on there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Or was it Third Lanark?

From memory, before I look it up, it was a fudged merger to create "ES Clydebank" to get them into the league and then the sides demerged?

Third Lanark just went bust.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

From memory, before I look it up, it was a fudged merger to create "ES Clydebank" to get them into the league and then the sides demerged?

Third Lanark just went bust.

Cheers, I’ve pitched my tent with the original MK Dons equivalent😞

I still fancy watching them though as it’s £7 for an adult which is around what I used to pay on the Kop.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Cheers, I’ve pitched my tent with the original MK Dons equivalent 😞

I've just found this ... and it's quite the story:

https://beyondthelastman.com/2018/02/27/the-merger-that-shook-scottish-football-the-es-clydebank-story/

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just found some time to read and it’s very interesting stuff.

Had a look at what Clydebank are up to now and they’re fan owned while playing in the West of Scotland league.

That feeds into the Lowland League in the Scottish pyramid and possibly therein to Scotland’s Football League 2.

Upwards and onwards from there they could end up in an interesting clash of shirts with the mighty River Plate in a World Club Championship encounter!

Perhaps a more likely future is a meeting with East Stirlingshire in the Lowland League one day as the two settle an old score and duke it out to try and regain a place in the senior divisions.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

51 minutes ago, JonM said:

Manchester United fans doing the Wigan walk at half-time at Old Trafford.

A nailbiter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A nailbiter.

i always have a dig with my son who is a liverpool fan that these big games are over hyped and always end up nil-nil , not today though

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

33 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i always have a dig with my son who is a liverpool fan that these big games are over hyped and always end up nil-nil , not today though

Tonight might be the first time in quite a while that I watch MotD.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ole must be superglued to the wheel if that display doesn’t see him go, but I’ll leave the debates to a Man Utd fan.

I think I can honestly say that I was slightly disappointed that Liverpool didn’t chase history and ramp up the scoreline in the last thirty minutes against the ten men.

Maybe though the priority is to just finish the game with the minimum of fuss once it was won.  An historic day for sure.

17 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ole must be superglued to the wheel if that display doesn’t see him go, but I’ll leave the debates to a Man Utd fan.

I think I can honestly say that I was slightly disappointed that Liverpool didn’t chase history and ramp up the scoreline in the last thirty minutes against the ten men.

Maybe though the priority is to just finish the game with the minimum of fuss once it was won.  An historic day for sure.

Bigger fish to fry…

(Losing Milner and Keita to injury wouldn’t have helped - you wouldn’t want to lose one of the top four forwards by overdoing it - same the defence).

51 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Clydebank (Lowland League) vs Elgin City (SPFL League 2)

Scottish Cup Round 2

BBC Scotland sportscene (Sky Channel 194)

Estimated crowd of 1k

Larne v Linfield is the Sky alternative.

Monday night really is one for the purists.

• Haha 1

sounds like it will come down to a 2 way tussle between Liverpool and Man u for the signature of  Leeds and England star Kalvin Phillips - sounds like he would prefer to be at Anfield from reports

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 28/10/2021 at 16:54, graveyard johnny said:

sounds like it will come down to a 2 way tussle between Liverpool and Man u for the signature of  Leeds and England star Kalvin Phillips - sounds like he would prefer to be at Anfield from reports

He wouldn't go to Man United and Liverpool would make far more sense in every way for him.