Football

The Premier League's TV deals abroad have been a bone of contention for some of the clubs before now.

I think they'll be a bit more pleased with this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

theres some right tripe making up the numbers in the premier league - teams like norwich and wba should only be allowed to go up and down so many times in a certain space of time 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

theres some right tripe making up the numbers in the premier league - teams like norwich and wba should only be allowed to go up and down so many times in a certain space of time 

Norwich won this weekend and West Brom play in the championship.

Doubt the most popular and successful commercial football league in the world is going to change this format.

I don’t see an issue either.

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Another whizzo idea from someone who probably rarely if ever watches football. I've been on and off involved in stewarding at football for years and seen the joy of promotion from fans. Ever wandered why Championship football gets crowds of 20,000 plus at places like Stoke, Fulham, WBA, Nottingham Forest etc. P+R is the driving force for lower league football. RL could do worse than have a free and easy 2 up 2 down from SL to get crowds up. Only a poor ground could halt advancement to PL, but Bournemouth were OK with an 11,000 seater stadium ,so the criteria is quite modest. Very interesting promotion race this season,  my money is on Fulham and Bournemouth for certs, and I'd love Blackpool to make it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Another whizzo idea from someone who probably rarely if ever watches football. I've been on and off involved in stewarding at football for years and seen the joy of promotion from fans. Ever wandered why Championship football gets crowds of 20,000 plus at places like Stoke, Fulham, WBA, Nottingham Forest etc. P+R is the driving force for lower league football. RL could do worse than have a free and easy 2 up 2 down from SL to get crowds up. Only a poor ground could halt advancement to PL, but Bournemouth were OK with an 11,000 seater stadium ,so the criteria is quite modest. Very interesting promotion race this season,  my money is on Fulham and Bournemouth for certs, and I'd love Blackpool to make it.

Or Coventry , now back playing in their home city.

Farke celebrates first win.

Then Delia falls out of love with big German sausage. 

Ps. Gary Lineker ended MOTD with " Norwich win a game and Daniel Farke's off. Seriously he said that!

Edited by HawkMan

Didn't think I'd find any football to enjoy this weekend,  but I was wrong, it's all a question of finding International games with something riding on them.

Bosnia vs Finland was very enjoyable,  now watching Norway vs Latvia,  a vital game. Wales play a crucial game tonight, and tomorrow two winner takes all matches in Russia vs Croatia and Spain vs Sweden. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Didn't think I'd find any football to enjoy this weekend,  but I was wrong, it's all a question of finding International games with something riding on them.

Bosnia vs Finland was very enjoyable,  now watching Norway vs Latvia,  a vital game. Wales play a crucial game tonight, and tomorrow two winner takes all matches in Russia vs Croatia and Spain vs Sweden. 

A terrible result for Norway. They will have to win in Holland now and even then it might not be enough. 

Portugal v Serbia will be a good game also tomorrow. Hopefully a home win or a draw for me!

Enjoyed three matches yesterday and all came up with the result I wanted. Serbia and Croatia through to Qatar and North Macedonia into the play offs. All enjoyable for different reasons. Croatia/Russia a tactical stalemate until the weather turned it into a splash/splosh in the mud.  Portugal/Serbia was high class and skill , but hats off to Macedonia for their enthusiasm and endeavour and Iceland for giving their all in a match of no importance to them. 

Edited by HawkMan

spacer.png

Wasn't having much luck taking photos in the dark of the second half at Bexhill so I had a wander and took a shot looking back at the ground as you're leaving it.

It's kinda sweet.

Unlike the match, which was a blood and thunder affair. Bexhill beating Littlehampton 3-1.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyone on Twitter should probably follow Mascots Minute Silence @MascotSilence just for the godawful incongruity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Anyone on Twitter should probably follow Mascots Minute Silence @MascotSilence just for the godawful incongruity.

Born out of a WSC forum thread which is also worth a check - assuming it's still up - for some of the responses.

Bradford City lost 3-0 in the FA Cup at Exeter but the game was 0-0 after 90 minutes, so obviously they conceded 3 in ET. 
Now though Exeter are under investigation as they used too many substitutes (6 rather than 5) and one of those came on for ET. The game could either be forfeited or replayed. 

On 15/11/2021 at 20:28, GUBRATS said:

Ooooo Harry Kane gets 4 goals against some window cleaners and schoolteachers 

No wonder I'm bored of it 

They still played them and didn’t say it was pointless like we do in RL. 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes they did very well to avoid the obvious 

What’s that?

It’s the WC qualification, games like this are par for the course. 

Edited by Johnoco

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

What’s that?

It’s the WC qualification, games like this are par for the course. 

Agreed, and football is a very fair sport in deciding who gets to play. All nations however small get a chance, to hopefully grow in stature by playing the big boys. San Marino and Liechtenstein etc are just too small and will never progress,  but the likes of Albania Georgia Cyprus,  Finland Norway were all no hopers 20 odd years ago, but Finland took it to the last game before elimination,  Norway could have knocked Netherlands out, and North Macedonia are in the play offs. That's how to raise standards,  let these teams play,  no tier 1 and tier 2 bollo x in football. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Bradford City lost 3-0 in the FA Cup at Exeter but the game was 0-0 after 90 minutes, so obviously they conceded 3 in ET. 
Now though Exeter are under investigation as they used too many substitutes (6 rather than 5) and one of those came on for ET. The game could either be forfeited or replayed. 

It will be replayed.

In Exeter.

On a Tuesday night.

I'm sure Bradford are thrilled at having 'won' the right to get the match replayed.