Football

12 hours ago, Niels said:

The men usually ease off once it becomes one sided. For example Liverpool v Man utd when it was 5-0 against 10 men is a recent example. 

I just don't think there is any need to embarrass an opponent in this manner. It shows a lack of class to me. 

I’m not sure I actually think it was more embarrassing for Utd when City won 2-0 the week after but basically just toyed with them for 90 minutes. 

42 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’m not sure I actually think it was more embarrassing for Utd when City won 2-0 the week after but basically just toyed with them for 90 minutes. 

The issue is that once you have a match set up where one side is so obviously superior to the other then, whatever is done, has the potential to be the 'wrong' thing.

I thought England got it right. They played as a full strength side. They didn't take the mick with fancy moves or showboating. They subbed frequently in the second half and brought on players who hadn't had masses of game time before. They also didn't disrespect their opponents by easing off, passing for no reason or just deliberately winding the clock down. They also did the right thing by working hard to get the ball back when they weren't in possession.

The only thing they might have done differently is the goal celebrations but it was remarkable how many of the 20 (twenty) goals meant something. Record equalling then record breaking. Debut goals. First hat-tricks. Etc. The crowd was also really into it too. It would be very hard to just nonchalantly walk back to the middle when you've got a crowd who are happily celebrating and waving St George's flags.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The issue is that once you have a match set up where one side is so obviously superior to the other then, whatever is done, has the potential to be the 'wrong' thing.

I thought England got it right. They played as a full strength side. They didn't take the mick with fancy moves or showboating. They subbed frequently in the second half and brought on players who hadn't had masses of game time before. They also didn't disrespect their opponents by easing off, passing for no reason or just deliberately winding the clock down. They also did the right thing by working hard to get the ball back when they weren't in possession.

The only thing they might have done differently is the goal celebrations but it was remarkable how many of the 20 (twenty) goals meant something. Record equalling then record breaking. Debut goals. First hat-tricks. Etc. The crowd was also really into it too. It would be very hard to just nonchalantly walk back to the middle when you've got a crowd who are happily celebrating and waving St George's flags.

There’s definitely a feeling I have that there’s more honesty and integrity in what I have seen of Women’s football.

Whether that is actually true or just a perception I don’t know.

Not sure too whether it’s a gender thing as much as the financial rewards being lower therefore less of the annoying behaviour we see in men’s football is there.

Financial considerations have to be taken into account. If you're a team of players on mega money and the game's rules allow you to in effect declare when the game is won, just wind down,  then it seems human nature that players take their foot off the gas. Purely hypothetical speculation,  but if RL introduced a rule whereby if the margin of score reaches 40 points both teams in agreement could declare like cricket and end the game. How many teams with games won (or lost) would take advantage of the rule and declare to avoid unnecessary injury. Just  a thought. 

The point being the rules of Rugby don't allow players to ease off, but in football they do, integrity isn't in it.

Edited by HawkMan

The word "hero" gets banded about to easily, but blimey, to have a player credit you with saving his life is some going.

Charlie Wyke

Nice touch to see the South Stand get renamed, the chairman doesn't hang about - can't be many managers at clubs playing out of stadiums with stands named after them!

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 15:57, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not sure too whether it’s a gender thing as much as the financial rewards being lower therefore less of the annoying behaviour we see in men’s football is there.

There are definitely differences in some behaviour but there is still gamesmanship.

One thing I've found out recently, and my anecdotal experience watching this backs it up, is that women get away with a lot, lot more when a man is reffing as against when a woman is reffing. I was told this by someone who monitors referee performance for a county FA. And another example I was given which seems to be true: both men and women refs don't punish late tackles anything like as much by female players as they perceive a man means it whereas a woman is less likely to.

There's quite something to get your teeth into.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are definitely differences in some behaviour but there is still gamesmanship.

One thing I've found out recently, and my anecdotal experience watching this backs it up, is that women get away with a lot, lot more when a man is reffing as against when a woman is reffing. I was told this by someone who monitors referee performance for a county FA. And another example I was given which seems to be true: both men and women refs don't punish late tackles anything like as much by female players as they perceive a man means it whereas a woman is less likely to.

There's quite something to get your teeth into.

That’s interesting about the referees.

I wasn’t too sure whether the gamesmanship aspect was a positive stereotype I’d picked up from only watching a small sample of games.

I guess ultimately most professional athletes are looking for an edge and if they can see an advantage in something they will go for it.

On 02/12/2021 at 20:45, shrek said:

The word "hero" gets banded about to easily, but blimey, to have a player credit you with saving his life is some going.

Charlie Wyke

Nice touch to see the South Stand get renamed, the chairman doesn't hang about - can't be many managers at clubs playing out of stadiums with stands named after them!

Could be awkward when he gets fired.

On 01/12/2021 at 15:57, Gerrumonside ref said:

The rewards are about the same in men's League 2, but there is still annoying behaviours. 

• Like 1

Anyone in the vicinity of the Pilot Field, Hastings on Sunday afternoon ... 

... I can only see this going one way (a big win for Brighton) but, by all that's holy, I will be willing for a result the other way.

And, for £3, if you're on the south coast and in need of some Sunday fun, why not come along too? The bar does a nice pint (sort of) and the food hut does good chips (definitely).

Bild

57 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Anyone in the vicinity of the Pilot Field, Hastings on Sunday afternoon ... 

... I can only see this going one way (a big win for Brighton) but, by all that's holy, I will be willing for a result the other way.

And, for £3, if you're on the south coast and in need of some Sunday fun, why not come along too? The bar does a nice pint (sort of) and the food hut does good chips (definitely).

Bild

Why put this game on at the same time as Brighton vs Spurs. Isn't there any fans who'd like to see both ?

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Why put this game on at the same time as Brighton vs Spurs. Isn't there any fans who'd like to see both ?

... which also clashes with Brighton Women Firsts playing Manchester United in the FA WSL.

Given that they played last Sunday's actual Women's FA Cup Final at the same time as a full domestic programme of fixtures (including top tier sides playing league cup games), I don't think much thinking ever goes into fixture clashes.

If there are any more supporters than usual they will almost certainly be Hastings fans.

I see the Tranmere club coach got attacked by Oldham fan’s last night. I know there is a bit of history between the two sets of fan’s but why would anyone do that. I don’t think anything will happen and no one will be charged. Tranmere fan’s seem to be blaming poor policing, id blame society. 

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

I see the Tranmere club coach got attacked by Oldham fan’s last night. I know there is a bit of history between the two sets of fan’s but why would anyone do that. I don’t think anything will happen and no one will be charged. Tranmere fan’s seem to be blaming poor policing, id blame society. 

i'm blaming the blame culture 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile