Football

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree with your opinion here.

Will be interesting to see if/how Burnley respond in the transfer market this month to try and replace him.

You would think they would have someone in mind despite the more limited choice this window. 

Absolutely, I'm usually of the view that you don't get rid of a player unless you have a replacement in mind. Cornet's signing in Summer could be a signal for where the "new Burnley" is going.

If they don't replace him, they will find it hard not to go down imo.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely, I'm usually of the view that you don't get rid of a player unless you have a replacement in mind. Cornet's signing in Summer could be a signal for where the "new Burnley" is going.

If they don't replace him, they will find it hard not to go down imo.

Cornet’s signing from Lyon was an interesting move for them and him.  He’s shown a real eye for goal too for a midfielder in the Premier League and adapted quickly (which I always think is the sign of a good player).

The Dwight McNeil situation is interesting too as he’s not really kicked on this year in the league (0 goals, 1 assist) and is on a relatively new and big contract to 2024.  

I would imagine the Clarets will get a lot less for him than hoped a couple of years ago in a fire-sale and obviously need those assists from him this year if they’re to stay up.

Edit: Should say wingback/midfielder/forward haha

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

Ive always been into Football and Rugby, attendances and grounds and a few threads recently have got me really looking into crowds, in particular a discussion today with @gingerjon. It is fairly clear that there certainly wasn't the huge gulf that we now see, in practically every way from crowds to money, and it really shows the explosion in Football post Hillsborough, Italia 90 and with the Premier League. No doubt the decline in hooliganism played a big part too.

Here's one random weekend from 1988 with the supposed football mad Newcastle only getting 16k and RL towns like Oldham only getting 5k and Huddersfield less than 3k in Divison 2:

FB_IMG_1642444395578.jpg.1523e26a3d174dfc1610ce2bc0ff9cba.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/844940199360108/permalink/1283625198824937/

Here's another from 1982 with Everton only getting 14k with Chelsea getting a sub 7k crowd in the old division 2 and Leeds getting sub 9k:

FB_IMG_1642444506060.jpg.a3a4ff5c89b111a225a562c9909eaf42.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/844940199360108/permalink/1280992892421501/

Some of the crowds seem unbelievable in this day and age.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

Then there is this in 1987 4 x 4 digit crowds in the old 1st division and not a single crowd past 16k. Yes some small teams but remarkable all the same:

FB_IMG_1642445245554.jpg.ebe36c80d60292aa4ee463134a256800.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/844940199360108/permalink/1279217445932379/

Linked to this is how far from the polite mainstream football was - beyond the televised big games like the FA Cup final (only one semi final was televised live and then not always).

I'm fairly certain that England getting to the semi final of the World Cup didn't even make the front page of the tabloid press as it wasn't considered proper news - even by the red top understanding of the word.

(England's games at Wembley were often sparsely attended too.)

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Linked to this is how far from the polite mainstream football was - beyond the televised big games like the FA Cup final (only one semi final was televised live and then not always).

I'm fairly certain that England getting to the semi final of the World Cup didn't even make the front page of the tabloid press as it wasn't considered proper news - even by the red top understanding of the word.

(England's games at Wembley were often sparsely attended too.)

Indeed and football fans were demonised by politicians too (being polite there not to be political) and treated like a sub class of society.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Indeed and football fans were demonised by politicians too (being polite there not to be political) and treated like a sub class of society.

Yes. I wrote a lot more about that but decided to delete it as this isn't the politics board.

But very much so.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Damien said:

Ive always been into Football and Rugby, attendances and grounds and a few threads recently have got me really looking into crowds, in particular a discussion today with @gingerjon. It is fairly clear that there certainly wasn't the huge gulf that we now see, in practically every way from crowds to money, and it really shows the explosion in Football post Hillsborough, Italia 90 and with the Premier League.

The year that Liverpool won the league and Widnes won the league in the late 70s, there was an "It's a knockout" type event with the players from both squads taking part, I think as part of a joint testimonial. Unimaginable that something like that would happen today, such is the gulf. 

• Like 3

On 17/01/2022 at 18:53, Damien said:

Then there is this in 1987 4 x 4 digit crowds in the old 1st division and not a single crowd past 16k. Yes some small teams but remarkable all the same:

FB_IMG_1642445245554.jpg.ebe36c80d60292aa4ee463134a256800.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/844940199360108/permalink/1279217445932379/

The Leeds/Shrews match isn’t there a nought missing from behind the 13. Then it’d be the official attendance of 130,760. 

Great win for the Tics last night, they started off slowly but got more into the game as time went on. Max Power causes all sorts of problems with his throw ins. I can’t see anyone stopping them from winning the league now. 
Doncaster are doomed. 

On 18/01/2022 at 09:51, Damien said:

Indeed, and plenty of people revelled in the sub culture status too that evolved during that time. 

To become accepted though football had to get gentrified to a large extent.

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, and plenty of people revelled in the sub culture status too that evolved during that time. 

Most of the people who claim to miss the culture of the game at the time were noticeable by their absence either through age or just not actually going to games.

There's a lot I don't like about football now but treating people who turn up to games like human beings is significantly better than being routinely caged like animals.

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Most of the people who claim to miss the culture of the game at the time were noticeable by their absence either through age or just not actually going to games.

There's a lot I don't like about football now but treating people who turn up to games like human beings is significantly better than being routinely caged like animals.

Still happens to Leeds fans away sadly, as recently as last month at Chelsea.

It was a sub-culture within a subculture in some ways.

• Like 1

Moderate ambition to have a cover photo on a football programme achieved ... although I'm pleased they tagged me to let me know as I'd forgotten taking that one

Bild

• Like 1