Football

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Time wasting is one of the most frustrating aspects of football currently

I have noticed this Tommy.

I watch all the Bournemouth games and now in the championships we usually dominate games. However, so many sides have players going down injured and then miraculously recovering. If we go a goal down it is even worse. I also noticed Southampton doing it against Man City - one player went down and the physio didn't even pretend to treat him. 

It's done to break up Momentum. It is very effective also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I have noticed this Tommy.

I watch all the Bournemouth games and now in the championships we usually dominate games. However, so many sides have players going down injured and then miraculously recovering. If we go a goal down it is even worse. I also noticed Southampton doing it against Man City - one player went down and the physio didn't even pretend to treat him. 

It's done to break up Momentum. It is very effective also.

Absolutely.

As I think you know I'm a Leeds fan, and Bielsaball is obviously very fast paced and momentum focused. The likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Wolves have come to Elland Road this season and been simply dreadful with their timewasting. 

Even Arsenal were at 3-1 up. Though rumour has it there was more to Xhaka's yellow card for timewasting in extra time than meets the eye...

It really is something refs need to get a grip of. I'm interested to see how the "green cards" work in RL this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Old Firm tonight too!

Ah the ugly sisters many years ago when Celtic were using Hampden Park as their home ground a few friends told me I had to experience that atmosphere.  The vast majority  of those arond me  i doubt saw a ball being kicked only interested in howling abuse at themins  about six rows to their right. Little did they know one of themins was in their midst

Strange but true. After the game as we made our way to our bus a Belfast supporter of the other team  who had missed his was told take of the scarf and get on.

I have never watched an old firm game since

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Are Celtic and Rangers first and second? 

Yep, Celtic go top tonight after their win.

Its more important than normal too.

The champions of Scotland this year will automatically qualify for the Champions League group stage next year so much money to be made.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Celtic have started very brightly here in the opening 20 minutes, can't tell that the Celts haven't won in this fixture for nearly 2 and a half years

I thought they played fantastic attacking football. The Japanese goalscorer had rave reviews in his first game and looks top quality, particularly at this level. Abada, the Israeli, also looked fast and excellent. The manager has recruited well from unfashionable countries and they are quick. 

Rangers looked very slow in comparison and overawed by the atmosphere. 

What did you think?

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I thought they played fantastic attacking football. The Japanese goalscorer had rave reviews in his first game and looks top quality, particularly at this level. Abada, the Israeli, also looked fast and excellent. The manager has recruited well from unfashionable countries and they are quick. 

What did you think?

The Japanese lad had a cracking game with two good goals. Rangers looked as if it was their first game of the season. I don’t usually watch the Scottish prem, so i was shocked to see Joe Hart still playing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niels said:

What did you think?

I agree with your sentiments.

I thought Rangers were poor tbh, the left back in particular seemed to be consistentlt targeted. They only looked better in the second half because Celtic eased off imo. That's not to say they didn't have flashes going forward, but they were fleeting moments.

Rangers have their goalie to thank that it wasn't an even bigger score much earlier in the first half.

First time in what feels like a long time that Celtic have emerged from an Old Firm heads held high. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yep, Celtic go top tonight after their win.

Its more important than normal too.

The champions of Scotland this year will automatically qualify for the Champions League group stage next year so much money to be made.

That is a huge point, and there would be more than a little irony that mainly Rangers' hard work to reclaim that role would be taken advantage of straightaway by the bhoys in Green and White

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Josef K said:

I wonder what Glasgow is like before & after the match. No away fan’s i don’t see the point in that, are both clubs not adult enough to sort out their differences ?. 

Its a tough one, taking the clubs choices out of it for a moment the Old Firm is a very intense rivalry unlike most we see in England and I'm sure the police are glad for removing the main flashpoint that will draw so much resources. There's a reason these games are usually played at 12 noon on Sunday too.

Back to the clubs, policy changed massively in the past 5 years.

Both used to give a relatively massive away allocation to the other, often what basically amounted to a whole end of their ground. That outstripped the paltry standard 750/800 that was usually allocated to away fans at Ibrox/Celtic Park.

In 2018, Rangers said they would be reducing Celtic's allocation of a whole stand to just the standard allocation. Celtic retaliated with the same. The result of the first game, at Celtic Park, under these rules left less than 1000 Rangers fans at risk of being crushed in the cordoned walkway to their turnstiles. Likewise for the police it stopped being about stopping 7000 away fans clashing with home support and more about protecting 800 away fans from 50-60,000 home supporters. 

The clubs for their own part claimed it was a success because the newly vacant tickets were snapped up rapidly. Which of course they would be, with the Old Firm being such a prized game for fans to go to.

Ultimately between greed, covid and policing concerns the allocation has been reduced to zero.*

*zero general admission fans, I assume the corporate are in, which goes with the greed point I guess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a tough one, taking the clubs choices out of it for a moment the Old Firm is a very intense rivalry unlike most we see in England and I'm sure the police are glad for removing the main flashpoint that will draw so much resources. There's a reason these games are usually played at 12 noon on Sunday too.

Back to the clubs, policy changed massively in the past 5 years.

Both used to give a relatively massive away allocation to the other, often what basically amounted to a whole end of their ground. That outstripped the paltry standard 750/800 that was usually allocated to away fans at Ibrox/Celtic Park.

In 2018, Rangers said they would be reducing Celtic's allocation of a whole stand to just the standard allocation. Celtic retaliated with the same. The result of the first game, at Celtic Park, under these rules left less than 1000 Rangers fans at risk of being crushed in the cordoned walkway to their turnstiles. Likewise for the police it stopped being about stopping 7000 away fans clashing with home support and more about protecting 800 away fans from 50-60,000 home supporters. 

The clubs for their own part claimed it was a success because the newly vacant tickets were snapped up rapidly. Which of course they would be, with the Old Firm being such a prized game for fans to go to.

Ultimately between greed, covid and policing concerns the allocation has been reduced to zero.*

*zero general admission fans, I assume the corporate are in, which goes with the greed point I guess.

There must be a lot of police on duty for the Celtic/Rangers game, no days off or holidays. 

10 minutes ago, Josef K said:

There must be a lot of police on duty for the Celtic/Rangers game, no days off or holidays. 

In the 1990s I was very friendly with a Glaswegian Celtic fan who had a season ticket.

I asked him then how the police managed the sets of supporters to avoid absolute bedlam.

He told me that attending an Old Firm game involved quite a bit of walking in two separate lines to the ground, one for Celtic and one for Rangers.

I asked him how they ensure things don’t get mixed and he told me that at the start of these lines there are regular warnings by Glasgow police that if you decide to get in the wrong line for a bit of trouble then don’t expect us to come and get you out of there!

That of course was a long time ago. 

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

In the 1990s I was very friendly with a Glaswegian Celtic fan who had a season ticket.

I asked him then how the police managed the sets of supporters to avoid absolute bedlam.

He told me that attending an Old Firm game involved quite a bit of walking in two separate lines to the ground, one for Celtic and one for Rangers.

I asked him how they ensure things don’t get mixed and he told me that at the start of these lines there are regular warnings by Glasgow police that if you decide to get in the wrong line for a bit of trouble then don’t expect us to come and get you out of there!

That of course was a long time ago. 

I went to an Edinburgh derby once. During the match, you'd have thought it was Boca v River Plate or something. It was completely unhinged.

Before and after the whistle, the fans walked side by side to and from the ground to the city centre - which completely surprised me.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

As Gerrumonside has suggested, on top of a massive police presence there is an element of self policing too.

Also ought to be remembered that the self policing is less effective is there is less than 1000 of one side.

• Like 2