Football

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Gave me one of my best memories as a kid . 1985 Rapid Vienna 3-1 after dumping Bayern Munich

I watched the highlights of that game on You Tube recently. 

The key win was against Bayern in the semi finals I think. 

Everton still have three games in hand on Leeds. I know they still need to pick points up in those games but I’d have Everton and Leeds almost safe and in a similar position. I think Norwich and Watford are gone and the only team that could make life uncomfortable for Everton and Leeds will be Burnley. 

18 hours ago, Josef K said:

I was going to say the same, i know RL have come up with some crazy ideas in the past but what are all these different comps. A large percentage of fans from English clubs would rather not qualify for what i call the UEFA cup. 

They may not want to qualify , but if they get to the final , the fans and players will definitely be up for it , just ask Man Utd and Chelsea . 

17 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I thought at the time getting rid of the cup winners cup was a terrible idea. This new trophy makes it even worse. 

With the expansion of the Champions League , they had no choice but to cancel it , we'd have been getting to the stage where both domestic cup finalists qualified for the CL , so we'd have to look at the losing semi finalists  to find a team to enter the CWC

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Everton still have three games in hand on Leeds. I know they still need to pick points up in those games but I’d have Everton and Leeds almost safe and in a similar position. I think Norwich and Watford are gone and the only team that could make life uncomfortable for Everton and Leeds will be Burnley. 

Leeds next game is huge , if they can beat Southampton and you take into account that on the same weekend , Burnley and Watford play Man City and Liverpool respectively , you're looking at potentially a 10 point gap between Leeds and the 3rd from bottom team .

4 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

They're probably still plotting right now .

I know all the money is in the European Cups nowadays but for me the English  league’s mean more. I have far more interest about what is going on in League 2, and the National League than i do with what is going on in the Champions League. But i am in a minority. 

I think most people appreciate that the Champions League (especially the knockout stages) represents the highest standard of football there is.

Basically the best players, teams and managers going head to head for the trophy they all seem to want that their preparation is geared towards.

I think too since few elite Premier League players now transition from a career in the English lower leagues to the top flight there has been more focus on what is happening in Europe.

Put simply, its a different game now than it was 40 years ago and what is happening in Serie A, Bundesliga and La Liga is now more relevant transfer-wise than it was in the past to an English football fan.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

I know all the money is in the European Cups nowadays but for me the English  league’s mean more.

I honestly don't personally know a single football fan (of any team) who is interested in the European competitions ahead of their national ones.

And, included in that group, are young (to me and actually young) fans of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

With the expansion of the Champions League , they had no choice but to cancel it , we'd have been getting to the stage where both domestic cup finalists qualified for the CL , so we'd have to look at the losing semi finalists  to find a team to enter the CWC

I’m not so sure I think out of 21 cup finals  since 2000 at least 15/16 times (I can’t be bothered checking what years arsenal didn’t qualify got CL) one of the finalist would’ve qualified for the cup winners cup. 

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’m not so sure I think out of 21 cup finals  since 2000 at least 15/16 times (I can’t be bothered checking what years arsenal didn’t qualify got CL) one of the finalist would’ve qualified for the cup winners cup. 

I'm not just talking about England but Europe as a whole .

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I honestly don't personally know a single football fan (of any team) who is interested in the European competitions ahead of their national ones.

And, included in that group, are young (to me and actually young) fans of Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Really? For a competition that no one cares about it gets good crowds. Yes, National leagues are the bread and butter,  but seeing the top talents go head to head,  like PSG vs Real last week,  Messi, Neymar  Benzama et al was a joy. Fans of the big clubs tend not to care if their team cannot win it, but go potty with delight if they think they can. Do West Ham fans care at all for the Europa League? Judging by the 55,000 attendance on Thursday or whatever the capacity is, yes they care.

Edited by HawkMan

2 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I'm not just talking about England but Europe as a whole .

Fair enough I think you are probably right on the reasons behind it. I just think National cup comps dropped down the priorities of champions league clubs that it wasn’t so bad early on. That might be changing now as the bigger clubs get stronger and stronger squads

8 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Do West Ham fans care at all for the Europa League? Judging by the 55,000 attendance on Thursday or whatever the capacity is, yes they care.

Maybe when playing Seville in a knock out - then they get the same crowd as for a regular Premier League match.

All their group games were 10-15,000 down on the previous home league match.

And I'm not saying they don't care. I'm saying they care first about the domestic rivalries and week in week out stuff before the rest.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, an enjoyable visit to the Saffrons yesterday saw home side Eastbourne Town slip to a surprising 3-1 home loss to Crawley Down Gatwick.

Just down the road, another 1,400 gate for Hastings United as they won 2-0 and are now 12 points clear with 6 game to play. Only one team is automatically promoted.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 19:20, DavidM said:

Gave me one of my best memories as a kid . 1985 Rapid Vienna 3-1 after dumping Bayern Munich

Connected to this there a great documentary called Howard’s way about this era. 

A huge game tonight in Lg2 Oldham v Sutton. If Oldham lose they will be 3pts behind Stevenage on the same amount of games . Sutton Utd are pushing for a play off spot,  but i think with my abysmal predictions Oldham will either pick up a point or a win, because they have so much too lose.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Italy out of World Cup , beaten at home by North Macedonia .

Well worth a watch on the highlights too - hilarious stuff. Italy camped out in the Macedonia penalty area for 90-odd minutes, passing it to each other, barely losing possession but barely making a chance. Macedonia get the ball in injury time and score a wonder goal on the breakaway,

• Like 3