Football

32 minutes ago, Copa said:

Australian A-League attendances … plummeting. As low as 573.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp/a-league/results

41,582 watched the Socceroos lose to Japan.

Higher than any crowd for the Kangaroos in eight years.

(Mind you, I'd not be watching the A League if I was in Oz. It's not exactly thrilling.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, JonM said:

Well worth a watch on the highlights too - hilarious stuff. Italy camped out in the Macedonia penalty area for 90-odd minutes, passing it to each other, barely losing possession but barely making a chance. Macedonia get the ball in injury time and score a wonder goal on the breakaway,

Reminds me of this magnificence

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

(Mind you, I'd not be watching the A League if I was in Oz. It's not exactly thrilling.)

For many Australians, the Socceroos are the only soccer team in Australia they support.

However, there are still plenty of soccer loving people like my son and his friends who’d pick Liverpool and the Canberra Raiders over the Socceroos every day of the week. 

5 minutes ago, Copa said:

For many Australians, the Socceroos are the only soccer team in Australia they support.

Wouldn't surprise me - and seems very unlikely to change.

You have similar in places like Ireland where the domestic league has very small teams - a handful of exceptions from time to time - but the national team are well followed and you have players mostly earning their money outside the country. And people who follow the sport all follow the Premier League (or Bundesliga/La Liga etc if they're a bit quirky).

Non League Day this weekend.

Thinking of having a first visit to the magnificently named Staplehurst Monarchs of the Southern Counties East Football League (think it used to be the Kent Invicta League).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Non League Day this weekend.

Thinking of having a first visit to the magnificently named Staplehurst Monarchs of the Southern Counties East Football League (think it used to be the Kent Invicta League).

I love non league football. Get to a few matches each season. I buy the non league paper every week. 

43 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Eh?

FIFA do a ranking thing after the World Cup.

This is the relevant part for 2010.

image.png.816935054de86064df4282305ceaa81c.png

12 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So since the Italians won the world cup in 2006, they have finished 26th and 22nd in the following two and haven't even qualified for the two after that. Very visible decline of a footballing giant. But of course they did win the euros. Very unpredictable this game! 

I understand your point but the Euro win didn't come during a decline, the opposite.

Euro 2021 was towards the end of an incredible 37 game unbeaten run.

• Like 1

Huddersfield v Barnsley has been moved to Friday the 22nd. On proper Sky sports. Not the red button. So you can all see the Reds paste them !.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ta.

Total c rap, innit?

Pondering ... I wonder if it has anything to do with coefficients and the like?

It does all seem a bit pointless.

On 25/03/2022 at 06:31, gingerjon said:

I read about the game. Japan look to have a useful side, the Celtic players are good.

Australia have to win an Asian play off, then if won, play against the 5th place South American side.

What do you think of their chances?  In the days of Viduka and Kewell they were a match for such a side, but now I think they may struggle.

On 25/03/2022 at 05:55, Copa said:

Australian A-League attendances … plummeting. As low as 573.

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp/a-league/results

Is there something going on in Aus with sport in general? 

A-League crowds really have plummeted as have Super Rugby crowds. I know NRL crowds are not as down as this but they are down I think. All of these have their roots very much pre-Covid too.

I can't speak for AFL, but it does seem odd.

4 hours ago, Niels said:

I read about the game. Japan look to have a useful side, the Celtic players are good.

Australia have to win an Asian play off, then if won, play against the 5th place South American side.

What do you think of their chances?  In the days of Viduka and Kewell they were a match for such a side, but now I think they may struggle.

I'm absolutely the wrong person to ask because I'm very much into sport for the fun and whimsy. I'm hopeless when it comes to tactics, personnel and the like.

Going on what smarter people than me have written about this Australian team though ... it looks like they're in trouble. The analysis is that Football Australia have strangled the talent pathway (for the men, the women seem to be okay) and that is now being reflected in performances where they stand no chance of winning - and now being in Asia (their choice) it means they can't blood people in games v American Samoa and the like.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Their website seems to have broken.

There are screen grabs on social media.

Basically, because of modern slavery and murder *and a whole lot more*, they've had to suspend playing for the time being.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

There are screen grabs on social media.

Basically, because of modern slavery and murder *and a whole lot more*, they've had to suspend playing for the time being.

Yes, seen it on twitter. Brave to actually name names when you're accusing your landlord of violating Russian sanctions and so forth.